2000 isuzu trooper 4x4

kenny256

Hi all! Bought my first 4x4 and wanted to go with an expo like vehicle.

Fell into this trooper for a great price. Had a rough idle and dieing when coming to a stop.

79529969a3ec92da4ddad24525306d23.jpg

Purchased vehicle and started these upgrades.

1. Diagnos engine issue.
Turned out to be some very worn NGK spark plugs.

Intake manifold gaskets were sucking air like you could not believe.

Replaced the spark plugs with DENSOS and replaced the gaskets. All the check engine codes went away and the vehicle started to run 100% better, also did a BG fuel induction service on it.

2. Shocks, this thing felt like I was on a rough sea. I went with a complete set of Gabriel ultra truck shocks. The seem to be working fantastic.

dcacd0a6faed615172bccba00507fe90.jpg

Old and new

d7d83e95bf6a50a14e88c1976d421a3d.jpg

3. Tires it had the stock P245/70R16 tire size on it so I went up to the P265/75R16s. I sell tires and automotive service for a living and wanted to put something different on then what everyone else has so I tried the new Kumho AT51.

So far I love them and they have been great on my daily drive!

410a3f626084b9f6888b5c925697061a.jpg

4. Well last night I notice some grinding on the front and the pass side rear wheel felt warm. Come to find out today when I put it on. The lift the driver front was locked up as was the pass rear.

Well, that means new pads, rotors, calipers and hoses! Yay!!! Got the rear finished today and Monday will have to do the fronts!

The vehicles back ground is I bought it from the second owner...his dad bought it brand new. It had the original window sticker of $30,000 in the glove box.

It also had every maintenance receipts it ever had in the back door! Oil change every 3,000 miles with synthetic blend. Every maintenence it need including diffs and transfer.

Also found a very nice reciept for a brand new transmission and time belt/water pump done 35,000 miles ago for $3500!!!

This thing is spotless and in great shape......now!

Had plans to order some EMU rear coil spring but the brake issue took care of all that extra money!

As far as the oil consumption that alot of these motors had....this one had gone 7,000 miles on the last oil change...the only one the son did and even had time to do before he sold it. Had not even used a drop of oil....so I guess I got one of the good ones.

Future plans:

1. Emu rear coils.

2. Custom roof rack.

I plan on using this as my daily driver and camping rig. My kids are getting old enough in the next year that we will be starting some mild camping adventures!

Once I am allowed to post pics I will get them up!

Thanks for having me and if any of you have input of the troopers let me know!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

upndown

Adventurer
Good luck with your truck and enjoy! If you run into any stumps, try PlanetIsuzu. Lots of experience on that site. :sombrero:

kenny256

Good luck with your truck and enjoy! If you run into any stumps, try PlanetIsuzu. Lots of experience on that site. :sombrero:
Went and visited that site! Holy cow! They are all about the isuzu over there!

kenny256

Got all the brakes taken care of today. BG brake flush with all new fluid.

Thing actually has a good pedal now!

Has anyone tried the moog cc812 rear coil spings?

kenny256

Well I went ahead and ordered them...going to install them tomorrow.

From the research I have been doing all I have to do is cut the pig tail off and it will be fine

kenny256

Well today I replaced the sway bar link ends, and the sway bar bushings with some grease able new ones.

I could definitely tell a good amount of difference in how they help with the body roll.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I have replaced the sway bar bushings on every Trooper I have owned. Makes a surprising difference in handling for not a lot of money.

kenny256

I have replaced the sway bar bushings on every Trooper I have owned. Makes a surprising difference in handling for not a lot of money.
Drove it around the lake after work around all the curved roads.

Was so much nicer....cutting the coils in 10 min!

kenny256

Here is the new rear brakes. Calipers, hoses, pads and rotors.

cb4e13226edab8852e1c7e25c0d0cd36.jpg

Here is a pic of the new sway bar bushings.

f1252c74f69b2c0c2e3897eb88a5aee4.jpg

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
Sweet yet another Isuzu Trooper here :wings: My rides a little earlier then yours :drool: but im sure you will be happy with it. The Planetisuzu forums are a great place to see mods or parts being torture tested if your thinking of buying something. :) Im sure once you get past the immediate parts needing replacing you will have a reliable ride. I have 2 Zoo's a 97 Rodeo http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/157608-PPCLI_JIM-s-Other-Isuzu-thread and my 88 Trooper http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-other-wonder-mechanical-genius-my-88-Trooper .

kenny256

Sweet yet another Isuzu Trooper here :wings: My rides a little earlier then yours :drool: but im sure you will be happy with it. The Planetisuzu forums are a great place to see mods or parts being torture tested if your thinking of buying something. :) Im sure once you get past the immediate parts needing replacing you will have a reliable ride. I have 2 Zoo's a 97 Rodeo http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/157608-PPCLI_JIM-s-Other-Isuzu-thread and my 88 Trooper http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-other-wonder-mechanical-genius-my-88-Trooper .
Ha ha! I already read both of your build threads!

I got the info for the coil springs over at the zoo!

5b4a40f5a76772b7f1fdef52c1736264.jpg

Got the pig tails cut off!

kenny256

We actually already have them on the trooper now!

4bc2ea4258d65dd3c6b9149cad87003b.jpg

The tortion bars are cranked up and it's getting aligned as we speak!

rkj__

Adventurer
I'm curious how those AT51s will work out in the long run. It looks like some of the sipes/slits in the tread blocks don't go very deep. Also, the tread blocks taper a lot, so as the tire wears, there is less and less gap between the lugs. I've never seen them in person, so I'm just going off of the images.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles