2000 GMC Safari AWD Hightop - Campervan Conversion | Project Recap

dcbryan

Observer
Bed/Couch Build

This part of the project had me stumped for a couple weeks. In hindsight, we simplified the design quite a bit which was for the best. Here's a few pages from the sketchbook. The bed design had several constraints - The foam and where to store it, how to get enough wood panels in couch mode so that when we were ready to fold out the bed it would be a full 74 inches.

YInunRR.jpg

Beyond pages of sketching and hours of arguing about designs, I spent time in the van mocking up the dimensions. What angle should the back rest be? How long can the seat of the couch be before it's uncomfortable? How high can the back rest be before it blocks the back window? How much storage can we build in under the couch before hitting out heads no the ceiling?

Z0AGHlc.jpg

Along with pretty much everything else in the van this was built out of 3/4in pre-finished plywood.

ClWpd74.jpg

These are the legs, they're stored inside the couch when not in use. Made from two pieces of 3/4in glued and screwed together. More ridged and smaller than 2x4's (which was the original plan)

RK2dSka.jpg

Building out the 90° supports and feet.

9TVCDnA.jpg

The seat of the couch hinges open for storage.

7Gm4YMl.jpg

Here they are in place.

UMsIFsB.jpg

And by some very careful planning 6ft 3inches of bed space.

Oks0ygR.jpg

We'd already purchased the pad, which is just standard bed foam. 3 Pieces, 36in x 72in, $20 each at Fred Meyer. I had a friend (girl) who could actually sew, make the futon cover. It's made out of some soft fabric... I dunno **** about sewing. She did a damn good job.

0aZL2Sy.png

0MjLkyw.jpg

Finished product!

jz427Zv.jpg

sxcf66P.jpg

dfd069a721b3e6947513d09f6ee4a8fa.gif

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Bravo. Well done.

I've Considered removing the panels from the rear Dutch doors for Custom storage of other cooking items, tool rolls, whatever. Looking good.

If you are located anywhere near me, I'd like to see it.

Last edited:

SilverBullet1997

What he said ^^^

I see you have Washington plates.

I'm in Seattle, my van is a 99, 5" lifted, 31" tires, ARB Winch Bumper, and custom made rear tire carrier.

I included a few pics.

Attachments

• 20150603_134040.jpg
    20150603_134040.jpg
    618.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 20150531_205253.jpg
    20150531_205253.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 20150607_115136.jpg
    20150607_115136.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 53
  • 20150607_115040.jpg
    20150607_115040.jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 46

SilverBullet1997

Went trail riding with T. Low today, planning another trip up to Bellingham here in a couple of weeks, maybe you want to come up and join us? Should have one of our fellow lifted brethren come down from Canada that day too, would be cool to see 4 of us all rolling together.
2015-06-10 21.37.47.jpg

dcbryan

Observer
Bravo. Well done.

I've Considered removing the panels from the rear Dutch doors for Custom storage of other cooking items, tool rolls, whatever. Looking good.

If you are located anywhere near me, I'd like to see it.

What he said ^^^

I see you have Washington plates.

I'm in Seattle, my van is a 99, 5" lifted, 31" tires, ARB Winch Bumper, and custom made rear tire carrier.

I included a few pics.

Went trail riding with T. Low today, planning another trip up to Bellingham here in a couple of weeks, maybe you want to come up and join us? Should have one of our fellow lifted brethren come down from Canada that day too, would be cool to see 4 of us all rolling together.

Thanks for the kind words guys! I'm located in Portland, OR. But the van will be up in Alaska until the fall. It made it the 3,000 miles up there, so that was good test!

And I actually have a few more pictures, this next post will be the last.

dcbryan

Observer
One detail I left out is this electrical panel. From Right to left, battery selector switch, volt meter wired to display the voltage of whatever battery we've selected on the switch, 12v cigarette lighter, and 2 USB ports. To the left of that is a kill switch for the voltmeter panel to turn the bright blue light off at night.

r7wX7iY.jpg

Wiring zen.

jeJgbOa.jpg

iZewtLT.jpg

All mounted up.

1hXqQC3.jpg

Here's a view of the cockpit, thats a Ram mount holding up some $50 android tablet, which is paired with a bluetooth OBD2 scanner.

gxM9QgN.jpg

And that wraps it up.

Jw06UxC.jpg

e8wvMvV.jpg

khdUjNm.jpg

VOIPlZM.jpg

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Fantastic!

Any thoughts on the CF18 fridge? Do you find it to be large enough? I've been considering either that size or the 25.

dcbryan

Observer
Fantastic!

Any thoughts on the CF18 fridge? Do you find it to be large enough? I've been considering either that size or the 25.

It is pretty small. But Personally the only things I guy that need refrigeration are, meats, dairy and drinks. I haven't needed more space yet.

Nice project- thanks for sharing. Looks like a comfortable set up.
Any plans for a canopy- especially over outdoor kitchen in rear?

Yeah we really wanted to add a canopy. The rear is covered a bit by the back hatch. We actually had an old canopy for the project that came of a camping trailer. The roof has that fiberglass high top, and it's very curved. Long story short, we couldnt figure out how to mount the damn thing so it didn't make in on before my cousin left for Alaska in it.

TrainingWheelz

Awesome build! Very similar to the '97 AWD hi-top conversion Astro I'm building right here in PDX as well.

What hitch did you wind up with enough capacity for the dirt bike and carrier? If you don't pump up your air shocks, how much does the rear end sag with the dirt bike on the carrier?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz