2000 Ford Excursion axle swap question

Superduty

Adventurer
What are the differences between the various years on the superduties as far as the Dana 60 are concerned, e.g., brake size,
Axle width, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume you are talking about coil spring Dana 60s for Superduty trucks. The dually F350, F450 and F550 axles have differences, so I will exclude those as well.

All the Dana 60s from 05-16 are the same width (and I think the same up to 2022, but I am not 100%)

05-16 use the same steering components (tie rods and drag link) - there are some different steering gears.

05-16 use the same trac bar

05-16 use the same trac bar mount on the axle

There are differences depending on year for the frame mount/bracket for the trac bar. Most agree the 05-07 frame bracket is the best (easiest install) for conversions.

05-16 axle shafts are fully interchangeable (35 spline inner and outer). The later years, I think starting in 2011 they used a 1550 axle ujoint. You can install those (upgraded) axle shafts in any year.

05-16 all use the same upper and lower ball joints

There are differences in brake rotor and calipers and steering knuckles depending on year. I will need to do some more research and looking at my notes for more info, but to get you started,

13-21 F250 - F450 have the largest Rotors (14.3" inches) and in my opinion are the most desirable. If you want to upgrade the rotor/caliper of a pre 13 axle you will need all the parts from the knuckle out.

05-12 use the same knuckle

05-12 rotor size is 13.66" and I can't recall if the calipers are all the same.

The Unit bearings are interchangeable physically between all years 02-16, however there are different cables for the ABS, so that could cause issues for you.

There are differences in caliper brake hoses depending on the year.

Hopefully that is helpful.

Last edited:

swashbuckler

Hooligan
That is a huge help. Thank you.

What’s the advantage of rear axle swap from a 10.25 or 10.5 Sterling? Other recommendations for other reasons?
Bigger brakes, wider track to match the front I expect.

@Superduty, what about ABS sensors and such? Do those change at any point, and if they do is it a simple splice into the existing pigtail or are the mods more involved?

Superduty

Adventurer
My 99.5 only has rear abs, so i didn't spend too much time on this.

You can use any unit bearing you want from 05-16. They are all physically the same, but there are some different plugs. You can move plugs/sensors from one year to another, but i don't know if the tone wheel is the same inside the unit bearing. In 11, ford dropped the abs /speed sensor in the rear pumpkin and went to sensors at each rear wheel. I'm not sure if that was a total overhaul of the abs system up front as well.

I think if your front axle is from a pre 11 truck you will be fine. If you want the bigger brakes from the later model trucks, the safe bet may be to go with the unit bearing from a pre 11.

I think i might still have some brand new front sensors from an 08 unit bearing if someone has a need for them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

If one installs an 04 or later front end, does one have to install a new suspension system. That is to ask, does one have to invest in the springs and shocks?

Superduty

Adventurer
I believe it's 05 and later. In 05 Ford switched to coil springs in front instead of leaf springs.

If you use an 05 or later axle you must switch to coil springs suspension. This entails numerous brackets, coils, springs, trac bar, radius arms and other stuff. It's a major project.

Still looking at doing the swap. In the interim I pulled the pin and had ARB air lockers install front and rear on the Dana 50 set up.

I finally found a Dana 60 axle that is not outrageously priced. It is from a 2011 F250. I figure if I get it I can do a thorough “slow” build.

Are the calipers for the 2011 and 2000 the same bolt pattern? I just purchased an SSBC four point caliper and rotor swap.

I have an 8” lift on the Ex. now (running 38” tires). Any recommendations for the equivalent lift kit that would be necessary for the 2011 front end?

Last edited:

mmrocek

Observer
Still looking at doing the swap. In the interim I pulled the pin and had ARB air lockers install front and rear on the Dana 50 set up.

I finally found a Dana 60 axle that is not outrageously priced. It is from a 2011 F250. I figure if I get it I can do a thorough “slow” build.

Are the calipers for the 2011 and 2000 the same bolt pattern? I just purchased an SSBC four point caliper and rotor swap.

I have an 8” lift on the Ex. now (running 38” tires). Any recommendations for the equivalent lift kit that would be necessary for the 2011 front end?

Please keep us updated and post the links to what you bought (upgrades) and pics of install and axle build. I am interested in doing this as well in the future. Thanks!

RPhil

Adventurer
3ZqVAOyh.jpg

The axle swap makes a great difference in how the truck handles. I am very happy with how mine turned out.

@mmrocek here is my write-up on the Excursion forums: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/...th-2-5-springs-and-pro-comp-rear-22415-a.html

Superduty

Adventurer

I am a little confused on your approach to all of this. It sounds like you just invested a bunch of money in your current axles.

What is your goal with at this point with an axle swap?

Regarding the SSBC brakes, the bolt patterns (assuming you mean lug pattern) is the same from 99-22. All are 8x170.

However, the knuckles and unit bearings are different from 2000 and 2011. The offsets are different. I assume SSBC includes some kind of adapter plate for the calipers to bolt to the knuckles. Maybe they can provide an adapter plate for the 2011. Then the question is whether the 2011 adapter will work with the rotors you got. What size are the rotors?

I installed the later model 14.3" rotors in my conversion. I am now running 37" tires. I recently drove some very steep mountain roads and the compared to the 99.5 brakes with 285 tires it was like night and day. The new set up was markedly better.

The purpose of the axle change is for over landing and having a tighter turning radius.

I saw on Jamin Seat’s YouTube video that for the axle swap he has an additional brace welded to his Ex (the brace came off the F250 from the Dana 60 came. Is that required or recommended unnecessary?

Superduty

Adventurer
The purpose of the axle change is for over landing and having a tighter turning radius.

I saw on Jamin Seat’s YouTube video that for the axle swap he has an additional brace welded to his Ex (the brace came off the F250 from the Dana 60 came. Is that required or recommended unnecessary?

Can you post a link to the video you are talking about and the time stamp of the brace you are talking about?

Superduty

Adventurer
So, that is an extra gusset that Ford added to coil spring trucks.

With leaf springs the weight is distributed where the leaf spring hangers mount - in front and behind the axle. With the coill spring trucks there is no support in front of the axle. So i guess Ford engineers found there is some extra stress on the frame that needs to be dealt with.

$64,000 question if that gusset is needed.

I don't know of anyone in the forums that have added that gusset with their front coil conversion. I also don't know of any failures. My sampling is the online truck forums. There are some people that have swapped in the full front frame portion from a coil spring truck (which would include the gussett). This is a great way to go if you have the engine out and you can purchase that whole front frame section. Then you don't have to install the spring towers. If you look at the photo below you can see in front of the body support mount where the front section of frame is riveted and welded. That is the section ppl replace.

To add the gussett you need to have the engine out.

I didn't add the gussett. Hopefully it will never be an issue. But, i am aware of it and will occasionally check for any stress cracks. If i ever have my engine out, i would add the gussett or replace that front frame section. Hopefully i will never have to have my engine out.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Here is a photo from Ford of the frame changes for the coil spring. The changes are in red. You can see the gussett. I think Ford also thickened the frame a little bit.

f1caa850361f84bb450a7b8acd56443a.jpg

Last edited:
Superduty,

What I hear you saying is that many of the Dana 60 swaps don’t add the gusset and you are unaware of any frame failures from your online sample group.

I can honestly say that taking an ex down to bare frame, swap the front frame assembly, to include the entire Dana 60 front end and then reassemble the entire Ex is well beyond my wheelhouse and my bandwidth.

I do not plan on doing any rock crawling or those obstacle courses in CO, Utah, etc. I do I to Death Valley and the like. My Ex is still my daily driver and the weekend adventure vehicle. This project idea I was noodling is probably better left to those with a crew of buddies who are willing to help. As I’m sure you’ve experienced, sometimes things just can’t be done by a one man team.

I hope you never need to take your engine out either.

Scotty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles