2000 Ford Excursion axle swap question

I am planning on having ARB air lockers installed on my 2000 Ford Excursion. The Excursion come from the factory with a Dana 50. I have a F350's of that year which comes equipped with a Dana 60 (Note '05 and later have the coil over springs).

I would like to know if anyone has done the axle swap and, if so, how was the overall performance difference? Was it worth the time and effort (and/or money)? If making such a swap, what are the differences with the ride and performance differences with the coil over spring? My understanding is that if one makes the '05 or later front end swap one has to either swap the rear axle with a similar year to (or use spacers on the existing axle) because the '05 and later axles are wider.

Thanks,

Scotty

bjm206

Adventurer
I did the swap (Dana 50 to 60 leaf sprung) on my 2005 Excursion 12 or so years ago. You will only need an axle and front driveshaft. The driveshaft length changes with different drive train configurations. It is a bolt in swap and if the ride changed I did not notice it. The only difference is some added strength and a bit more aftermarket support.

I understand that the coil sprung 60 is a good bit stronger than my leaf 60 and the ride quality and turning circle are definitely much improved. The down side being the installation is more involved.

Good luck

Superduty

Adventurer
I think @Summitdogracing is talking about converting to coil spring, not going from a Dana 50 leaf to a Dana 60 leaf.

There are lots of articles/forum posts out there about making the conversion. Main benefits are going to be better ride, better brakes, tighter steering. And if you're going from a 50 to a 60 obviously a stronger axle.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

displacedtexan

The coil suspension turns better and rides better. Bigger brakes as well.

For most things you'll do, the 50 is plenty strong. What size tires are you running?

I have ready access to the Dana 60 axle with my F350, which is the course I will most likely take if I do the swap. I was soliciting personal experience about the ‘05 or later swap for consideration. I know there are a lot of war stories on the different forums and I have learned to read them with a healthy dose of skepticism.

I am running Toyo Open Country MT 38x13.50R20LT.

Scotty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unleashd

I am planning on having ARB air lockers installed on my 2000 Ford Excursion. The Excursion come from the factory with a Dana 50. I have a F350's of that year which comes equipped with a Dana 60 (Note '05 and later have the coil over springs).

I would like to know if anyone has done the axle swap and, if so, how was the overall performance difference? Was it worth the time and effort (and/or money)? If making such a swap, what are the differences with the ride and performance differences with the coil over spring? My understanding is that if one makes the '05 or later front end swap one has to either swap the rear axle with a similar year to (or use spacers on the existing axle) because the '05 and later axles are wider.

Thanks,

Scotty

Check out this thread

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
05+ suspension swap is definitely worth it if you have the time and place to do it. You really need to do the rear axle too if you do it. Best bet is to find a Super Duty roller or rolling frame. They're out there because of all the crap diesels that cost too much to fix. Maybe start poking around diesel shops and wrecking yards. It's pretty straightforward with a complete donor frame to cannibalize...

amgvr4

Adventurer
Well worth it. I just finished a swap on a customers 2000 7.3 Excursion. The turning circle and bigger brakes alone are worth it and while you are at it slap a factory e-locker in the rear. They are under $500 from several places online. B36BFA8C-CEC3-4C85-A828-E517851CC645.png97A94DDF-9DCD-4033-9F2D-E7B01C6FAEA2.png

mmrocek

Observer
Well worth it. I just finished a swap on a customers 2000 7.3 Excursion. The turning circle and bigger brakes alone are worth it and while you are at it slap a factory e-locker in the rear. They are under $500 from several places online.

Looks great! Who manufactures these arms? Also, point me in the direction of the axles with the factory e-locker, please. I could really use one.

amgvr4

Adventurer
I made them along with all the other swap parts for this rig. I used Carli 2” lift coils and 2.5” pin top shocks with deaver leaf springs. The rear axle to look for with the e-locker installed are 2009 and newer. The way to tell is there will be a green plug on the left side of the diff cover. If you already have an axle then just buy the locker and have it installed

Here is what to look for

You can find them for less but this will get you started. They can be installed in any Sterling 10.25 or 10.5 and only need a simple 12v switch to actuate. The excursion above drove through that ditch in 2wd and rear locker only no problems. Also upgrade to the F550 axle shafts and u-joints for the D60 so you can take advantage of all the extra steering angle you will have.

Superduty

Adventurer
I am going off memory, but I believe the factory rear e locker did not appear until 2011. With the availability of the elocker came the disappearance of the vehicle speed sensor in the pumpkin. Speed sensors were then located at each rear hub to support true 4 wheel ABS.

amgvr4

Adventurer
The tone ring from the normal 10.5 diff fits on the e-locker housing and everything functions like factory on older trucks if you swap the diff and do not get an entire axle which is what I would recommend. You are probably correct about the superduties not getting e-lockers until 2011, I think it was the F-150 that got them around 2009.

hbabler

I made them along with all the other swap parts for this rig. I used Carli 2” lift coils and 2.5” pin top shocks with deaver leaf springs. The rear axle to look for with the e-locker installed are 2009 and newer. The way to tell is there will be a green plug on the left side of the diff cover. If you already have an axle then just buy the locker and have it installed

Here is what to look for

You can find them for less but this will get you started. They can be installed in any Sterling 10.25 or 10.5 and only need a simple 12v switch to actuate. The excursion above drove through that ditch in 2wd and rear locker only no problems. Also upgrade to the F550 axle shafts and u-joints for the D60 so you can take advantage of all the extra steering angle you will have.

What can you tell me about this F550 Axle shaft upgrade? I searched some but haven't see it yet. I have a set of axles that are going in my truck soon, currently I am trying to figure out if I should go with factory arms or something like you made which is very nice by the way.

amgvr4

Adventurer
The F550 has the Super 60 with beefier 1550 u-joints and yokes that are stronger and allow for more turning radius. Here is the drivers side from Venture truck parts. They have the pass side too

I didn’t just build the long arms I also made a new crossmember to make a better mount for the arms and also add clearance for the driveshaft with the extra droop. The long arms are worth it if maximum flex is what you are looking for. If it’s a daily that doesn’t need 30” of articulation standard length arms will be fine.

Superduty

Adventurer
The F550 has the Super 60 with beefier 1550 u-joints and yokes that are stronger and allow for more turning radius. Here is the drivers side from Venture truck parts. They have the pass side too

I didn’t just build the long arms I also made a new crossmember to make a better mount for the arms and also add clearance for the driveshaft with the extra droop. The long arms are worth it if maximum flex is what you are looking for. If it’s a daily that doesn’t need 30” of articulation standard length arms will be fine.

All the later model (post 2005) 60s are Super 60s. The super 60s use 35 spline outer shafts. You can purchase the axle shafts listed above, which use the bigger 1550 ujoint, but it won't make the turning radius any better, but it is a larger/stronger ujoint and axle shafts (due to the larger ears on the ujoint). On my recent build, I upgraded to these axles - very nice peace of mind.

The 450s and 550s are called wide track and use the 10 bolt lug pattern, this is to match the dually rear axle. I believe the 450s and 550s do have a tighter turning radius, but it is due to the wheel extender on the hub.

What do you mean by 30" of articulation?

f350_turning_radius_compare_912977c3c077def6e74c5079f83312e1cd6a20ae.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles