2000 Ford Excursion axle swap question

I am planning on having ARB air lockers installed on my 2000 Ford Excursion. The Excursion come from the factory with a Dana 50. I have a F350's of that year which comes equipped with a Dana 60 (Note '05 and later have the coil over springs).

I would like to know if anyone has done the axle swap and, if so, how was the overall performance difference? Was it worth the time and effort (and/or money)? If making such a swap, what are the differences with the ride and performance differences with the coil over spring? My understanding is that if one makes the '05 or later front end swap one has to either swap the rear axle with a similar year to (or use spacers on the existing axle) because the '05 and later axles are wider.

Thanks,

Scotty

bjm206

Adventurer
I did the swap (Dana 50 to 60 leaf sprung) on my 2005 Excursion 12 or so years ago. You will only need an axle and front driveshaft. The driveshaft length changes with different drive train configurations. It is a bolt in swap and if the ride changed I did not notice it. The only difference is some added strength and a bit more aftermarket support.

I understand that the coil sprung 60 is a good bit stronger than my leaf 60 and the ride quality and turning circle are definitely much improved. The down side being the installation is more involved.

Good luck

Superduty

Adventurer
I think @Summitdogracing is talking about converting to coil spring, not going from a Dana 50 leaf to a Dana 60 leaf.

There are lots of articles/forum posts out there about making the conversion. Main benefits are going to be better ride, better brakes, tighter steering. And if you're going from a 50 to a 60 obviously a stronger axle.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

The coil suspension turns better and rides better. Bigger brakes as well.

For most things you'll do, the 50 is plenty strong. What size tires are you running?

I have ready access to the Dana 60 axle with my F350, which is the course I will most likely take if I do the swap. I was soliciting personal experience about the ‘05 or later swap for consideration. I know there are a lot of war stories on the different forums and I have learned to read them with a healthy dose of skepticism.

I am running Toyo Open Country MT 38x13.50R20LT.

Scotty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk