2000 Ford 7.3L Motovan build (225's build cont'd)

Village Idiot
I've been looking and planning on what to do about motorcycle carrying options. Since I am building out the interior, and can't fit the bike inside the van once it's done. And when the van is 4WD, the lift will be too high to safely put the bike in the van anyway, I need different options.

Option 1: Buy a trailer.

Buying a 6x12 trailer would be cool because I can put track day stuff in it, like my big tent, tires, tools, etc... But, also, any time I wanna haul the bike somewhere, I have to use a trailer.

Option 2: Hitch Mount Carrier.

With the height of the van, still, will be a pain to put the bike on a regular hitch carrier.

So I'm thinking about building this:

I'm gonna go to UJOR and get some bumper / hitch height measurements and see if it's doable. The issue is once the bike is lifted, how high it will be. If the lift has to drop down 3/4ft, it will lift that much too. And I don't want the weight of a bike that high on the back of the van. Not that it would matter because the tongue weight of the van is crazy high, and even with the lift, I will have helper bags on the rear.

What do you guys think?

Village Idiot
Axle questions.

My van has a full float rear end. I've been told that I don't need the 10.5 rear end.

Is it because it's already the 10.5? And I would like to put a Tru Trac in the front and rear, and was wondering if they made them for the f250 99-04 and the stock full float rear end or do I need to go with a f250 rear axle?

Thanks

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Axle questions.

My van has a full float rear end. I've been told that I don't need the 10.5 rear end.

Is it because it's already the 10.5? And I would like to put a Tru Trac in the front and rear, and was wondering if they made them for the f250 99-04 and the stock full float rear end or do I need to go with a f250 rear axle?

Thanks

No the semi float 60 has all the same options as the front..you can true-track both..(although a non selectable locker will make it turn even WIDER...just a tip) no reason to swap to the 10.5 or 10.25 sterlings..unless you get a killer deal on an already setup axle!!

I have the 600lb rear motorcycle carrier and haul my 400lb adventure bike all over with it...it has a clamp on the receiver tube that tightens up the play in the hitch..stable all day long!!

doublemc.jpgmccarrier.jpg

Village Idiot
I'm really digging these wheels. 20x10 -24 offset. XD Chopstix.

uOT8ZvZl.jpg

djbonsu

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. Once I get everything in, then I'll pick up some lockers.

Just a heads up, if you have a Full Floater in the rear, you will need 30 or 35 spline axle shafts for the tru-trac posi (I got 35 spline as they are more common) and then have your shop cut them to fit. On the front dana 60, you will also 35 spline inner axle shafts. In the rear you have 32 spline shafts that come stock with the dana 60 rear full floater.

Village Idiot
Just a heads up, if you have a Full Floater in the rear, you will need 30 or 35 spline axle shafts for the tru-trac posi (I got 35 spline as they are more common) and then have your shop cut them to fit. On the front dana 60, you will also 35 spline inner axle shafts. In the rear you have 32 spline shafts that come stock with the dana 60 rear full floater.

I'll probably just try to find a 10.5 rearend. We'll see. Thanks.

I'm still on the hunt for a fiberglass top. That takes priority over 4WD. I think I found one. I kinda wanna find it before I re-cover the rest of the headliner. I'll update next week.

Stuff came in. And some I already had for a while.

I want to do a starlight headliner like the Bentley's have. Here's the fiber optics for it:

VuvLtBjl.jpg

Quickfist for axe and shovel:

DTwPDpEl.jpg

4 LED lights. They are high quality and super bright. I've used them a few times in my camper builds. I love them.

qIq1sQjl.jpg

Either I'm buying a new (used) fiberglass top or front axle next week.

Ol Betty Sue hauling butt.

On the way home from work (I live 800 miles from my job), I stopped at Conecuh Sausage Company. If you haven't had Conecuh, you haven't lived life.

PXuVTq2l.jpg

Also, I slept in my cot, it's a crappy one, but I slept GOOOD. Need to get a REI one.

Last edited:

Village Idiot
Today I pulled the pass seat and took the slider off and after modifying it, made it fit on the Toyota Sienna seat. I still have to finish welding it all up, and build the base. I'll do that tomorrow.

Build video coming soon.

gTTY6Rol.jpg

Village Idiot
I put the passenger seat in like 6 inches too far forward. I got turned around with the seat slider and did it backwards. So, back at it tomorrow.

Looks good, just way too close.

ro78qNul.jpg

Village Idiot
Seat is in. I still need to paint the frame and install the seat belt buckle. That will be tomorrow after a trip to the hardware store.

Sitting better:

HdNzzgIl.jpg

Frame:

qvmKXgvl.jpg

six3mikee

I think you will find that the turbo outlet in your picture won't work on the van specific turbo. I made that mistake also.

Village Idiot
I think you will find that the turbo outlet in your picture won't work on the van specific turbo. I made that mistake also.

Thanks for the heads up. Today I had a transmission cooling line break on me. Thankfully, I could park and Uber to the parts store.

Finally got both seats in since I'm unemployed and its finally above freezing.

The driver seat sits WAY back, now I can stretch my legs while driving and not in the bent leg van position. Now time to finish the stinking headliner.

BdHLeRCl.jpg

Also a funny video of me and my buddy skiing:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles