2000 Ford 7.3L Motovan build (225's build cont'd)

CaptainBuilt

ARB locker is going in next week. It's gotta happen.

I've also been collecting parts for a 08+ front end conversion.

Parts I have so far:

08+ radiator cross bar (eBay),
08+ headlight buckets (junkyard),
fenders (eBay),
upper / lower header panel (used w/ hardware, eBay),
08+ hood latch.

Working on finding a hood and grille.

ZZ5AuGPh.jpg

8mtVXPYh.jpg

Got some sweet LED taillights, and just waiting on reverse lights that Bbasso hooked me up with.

dlNzpdnh.jpg

Morning glamour shot. Picking up some white plasti dip to do my rear windows.

Jyx1lSKh.jpg

CaptainBuilt

Finally got the Raptor Liner on all of the van but the front clip, which I'll be swapping. I'm going hunting for a hood and grille tomorrow.

eAyJC9Uh.jpg

fu0lb04h.jpg

Close up:

XizvOGfh.jpg

Fenders came in:

hrMXegch.jpg

Other front clip parts:

98fDS6ph.jpg

CaptainBuilt

When things are going great, what do you do? Mess it up right???

With a lot of cursing and sweating, I have the rear axle out:

rUYPyHNh.jpg

Carnage:

pj5Vd60h.jpg

hM1lm05h.jpg

VMrbUVVh.jpg

Empty housing:

LA1K8w1h.jpg

I was thrown for a loop when I seen this tone ring. But I've been told just install it as see and I shouldn't have any setup issues.

z2wTMbQh.jpg

I bought a new press from HF to separate the pinion bearing, but the press had a bunch of parts missing. It will probably be Monday evening before I have her finished. Also next week, I'll be shortening the fuel tank.

All that's left is transmission rebuild, and a front locker.

CaptainBuilt

I still need to hunt down some parts for the front end. I decided to go ahead and spray the front cap. My main goal right now is to finish the rear end and shorten the fuel tank.

B1sAawXh.jpg

This turd has came a long way. Almost got her where I want it.

Before and present:
PXuVTq2h.jpg

GAPLikrh.jpg

The to do list left:

Rear gears and locker.
Shorten fuel tank
Convert transmission to 4WD / driveshafts.
Finish interior.

CaptainBuilt

I made some progress today. Had to grind down a socket. Bent some shims, need more.

The good news is, I got the pinion preload set. No idea where I am with the depth yet. I haven't checked it. But I did get the locker in. Had to fuss with it a bit. Still a long way to go, but tomorrow I'll be fighting getting everything setup.

ZuTHGdKh.jpg

CaptainBuilt

Let me tell you something. Screw putting in diffs / gears. It succccked..... But I did it.

Everything is on the tight side.

Ring gear backlash is supposed to be from 6-10 thou. Mine is at 6. Pinion preload is supposed to be from 17-30 in lbs. Mine is at 17.

All new stuff, I hope it will wear in right. According to getting the pics checked by Chris / Rob at UJOR, they say my gear pattern is good. So that should work.

wS3tR3nh.jpg

Nv2k5Y3h.jpg

Everything in.

kuwVcJyh.jpg

All buttoned up and filled with oil. I'll leave it sitting all night to see if the gasket is holding good. Install in the morning.

yiFRJthh.jpg

While I was waiting on shims to be delivered that I had to get overnighted, I decided to go ahead and pull the tank to shorten it to make room for the T-case.

I should have taken a before pic. Whew, it was DIRTY. I'll weld it up and be rolling again by tomorrow afternoon.

C1DJscZh.jpg

CaptainBuilt

Thought I would be riding today, but a no go. There's air in the fuel and brake lines. I'll deal with it tomorrow.

But here's the progress:

One shiny new welded up shorter tank.

fEExeQgh.jpg

All new calipers / rotors / e brakes / pads / seals.

rH0tRXqh.jpg

Not a fan of the e brake. When I took the cable off the housing it was "fun" getting it back on.

Siun6kKh.jpg

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Let me tell you something. Screw putting in diffs / gears. It succccked..... But I did it.

Everything is on the tight side.

Ring gear backlash is supposed to be from 6-10 thou. Mine is at 6. Pinion preload is supposed to be from 17-30 in lbs. Mine is at 17...
Gotta hope your methods and instruments are dead-on when you settle on the edge. I've done several and I still aim for the middle of the range to be safe.

CaptainBuilt

The other day I got on the interstate and the rear end started vibrating real bad. I was like oh boy, here we go..... Come to find out I either didn't tighten the driveshaft flange enough or something, but the bolts were loose. After some thread locker and a re-tighten, everything is running smooth. No signs of any issues. I think by now if the rear diff was a bad install, it would show up by now.

I started on the 08+ front end conversion. It's getting there:

RmTCS47h.jpg

CaptainBuilt

I went to Ford today to order headlight parts that got lost in the mail. They had all but a couple in stock. They said they keep them in stock because Ujoint orders them all the time haha.

I'm waiting on headlight adjusters and I'm building a bracket for the hood latch. But I mocked everything up. I still need to adjust body panels, etc... but everything will come back off tomorrow. I need to spray the hood also. Once this is done I'll get on the bed frame build.

2a4wc6zh.jpg

CaptainBuilt

LOTS of trim work left. Most of the walls are up, bed frame built. I have to build a sink / cabinet, some drawers, paint, and trim work. Bed comes in Monday and I'll be putting it on the bed frame I got from Ikea.

7KP1mYkh.jpg

CaptainBuilt

Leaving Monday for our around the USA trip, still have some small things to finish. Maybe even build a rear bumper.

I bought a Skottle. They're the tits.

C9Fq5fth.jpg

Other than a good cleaning, it's done:

WFo7I1Vh.jpg

vcgpSGyh.jpg

Added a LED reading light and LED strip mood lighting:

SOaz7Gvh.jpg

Almost ready to go. Almost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member