2000 Ford 7.3L Motovan build (225's build cont'd)

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The van install is freaking tight! I am amazed they even got the 7.3 in there at all! So I can see the van fan clutch as a way to gain an extra inch by making the fan assembly more compact.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The van install is freaking tight! I am amazed they even got the 7.3 in there at all! So I can see the van fan clutch as a way to gain an extra inch by making the fan assembly more compact.
No kidding... it's a major pita to shoe horn a 30 lb Mitsubishi alternator atop a 7.3 psd in a van. I later found out it would be almost doable if the heater lines, A/C lines, and a bunch of wiring was first removed... but not the sort of thing you want to do if you can avoid it.

The engine bay is the one thing I hate about the rig.

James Riot

I haven’t either. I’m in Louisiana and about to go back on the boat. Plus I’m waiting on the hardware for the up pipes.

I plan on finishing up the trans build and have rear end done too.

CaptainBuilt

The last post is from me. For some reason Tapatalk used that name... ******...

A little history and planning.

I grew up in a mechanic shop. I learned a lot as a kid, mostly to keep me busy, my grandfather gave me old crap to take apart and put back together. So, I have a good understanding of some things. Suspension, and this whole 4WD conversion stuff is new for me. I ask Chris @ UJOR the dumbest questions sometimes.

But when it comes to other things, like engine / transmission stuff, I have no problem with. Even better with a service manual.

My grandfather had a old transmission I used to take apart and put back together all the time. He had his own shop. A TCI, inc..

- - - - - -

I talked to Chris about changing gears in the rear end and installing a ARB locker. They will happily do it. I have all the tools to do it myself other than a shop press (I need one anyway). So, I think I'm gonna take a stab at it. If I can't get it right, I'll bring it over to UJOR to do it.

KlutchInd

Very cool! I have taken my RSV up and down the Dragon quite a few times. Really would like to hit it with a lighter bike. Absolutely love the Foothills and Cherahola too! Take trips in April so not much traffic then. You can cruise for quite a while on the Cherahola and Blue Ridge on a weekday in April.

rcR8c4Yl.jpg

CaptainBuilt

Very cool! I have taken my RSV up and down the Dragon quite a few times. Really would like to hit it with a lighter bike. Absolutely love the Foothills and Cherahola too! Take trips in April so not much traffic then. You can cruise for quite a while on the Cherahola and Blue Ridge on a weekday in April.

Ever ridden around Asheville? Great stuff..

KlutchInd

Ever ridden around Asheville? Great stuff..

I only made it to Asheville once on my bike. Rode the Blue Ridge from Cherokee to Asheville and back one day. Made a stop this spring in the truck. It's a cool town. My buddy keeps talking about the Devil's Triangle. Is that north of Asheville?

CaptainBuilt

I only made it to Asheville once on my bike. Rode the Blue Ridge from Cherokee to Asheville and back one day. Made a stop this spring in the truck. It's a cool town. My buddy keeps talking about the Devil's Triangle. Is that north of Asheville?

I had to look it up. Yea, its North of Asheville. I've ridden those roads before. They're pretty good. I see you're a supermoto guy?

I had supermoto's for 10 years. Here's a few of my old ones:

HMC built 505xc, with dual Ti Akra's:

bFKtT6Gl.jpg

XqIYNGIl.jpg

My 2012 500 EXC (last one I had) Built by FBI:

fMQWnT7l.jpg

I had a dozen of them lol. I gave them up for this:

No Regrets.
lcK2QIPl.jpg

CaptainBuilt

I ordered a few parts I have to put on.

New up pipe bolts, and pedestal O rings:

6VxfHMHl.jpg

Dana 60 master rebuild it. I was waiting on this to come to order the right pinion bearing to use as a setup bearing. Since I got the # off it, it's on the way.

I have to order gears and a locker. I won't do the rear end this time home. I will the next, when I rebuild the transmission at the same time.

11IcH0El.jpg

My main goal is to try to build some nerf bars next week.

CaptainBuilt

Small update.

1. Screw building my own nerf bars / running boards, I ordered some online. Too dang cold for all that. But I need them because the wife said so. She can't get in without them.

2. I had the failure with the EPBV valve from actually opening. Most of the time, when I gave it a little gas, I was at the 12k limit on my EGT's. Now that the pedestal / valve is gone, I can go full throttle, up a hill and never hit the 12k ceiling. It's wonderful.

I'll be pulling the wheelchair lift out this week. Getting the airbags installed and the running boards.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles