2000 Cherokee - worth 10-11k?

Charles R

Adventurer
So I mentioned this thread on another forum I'm on. Among the "******'s!?!" were people who also recognize the market right now.
One of them sold his 2000 Jeep Cherokee for $18,000! (looks in similar shape to the OP offering, but with some basic mods)
Another friend showed me a "Bring a trailer" ad for a 68 mile Dodge Neon LX, not even a SRT or ACR, that sold for $19k

So, I'm not even sure I can call $10k too much anymore. It's not a deal for sure... but "unjustifiable, or unreasonable?"
We just live in some mighty strange times right now.

OverlandNA

How do I check or test for the engine crack? Is it something I should be able to see without taking much apart?
Pull the oil dipstick, if the oil looks like a milkshake walk away. Pull the oil fill cap & look at the inside of the cap. Milkshake?, walk away. Put your finger in the fill hole and wipe it on the top of the valve cover, milkshake? walk away. Look in the coolant reservoir, milkshake?, walk away.
These heads crack on top between cyl 3 & 4 which can be seen thru the oil fill hole. Chances are you won't see the crack if it has one. But you may see milkshake. I had to have mine running hot with the radiator pressure tester pumped to max for the pin head drop of coolant to show up in the crack.

TantoTrailers

9b29f9d4798a8147004fd5f0eb66aa20.jpg

She’s mine! Everything checks out so far! I’ve got some minor electrical things to chase down with door locks and windows but I’m happy with the purchase. How crucial is frame stiffening? I won’t be doing it myself so is it worth the spend to have a shop do it? I’ll be doing some off reading but not rock crawlin or anything...at least not yet. I’ve got a wish list going so far. No specific order:

-rock sliders
-bumpers
-skid plates
-cold air intake

I’m first taking it to a shop to have it checked out and see what laundry list they have for me but this thing had the engine completely rebuilt last year with all new seals and gaskets, I’ll post some close up pics tomorrow.

There are a few scratches and lots of tiny spots where rust might want to be starting, so I’m thinking of getting it painted, but maybe not? Is there something I can spray on the surface now to prevent the rust from getting worse until I get that sorted out? I’ll take it to a few body shops to get it quoted out.

Underbody is solid nothing crazy going on there.

Thanks again for all of the help! Stoked on the new wheels! This thing runs smoother than my 2016 F150!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TantoTrailers

Oh yea! And there is an after market sunroof that is really well installed and completely waterproof. Really opens up the ceiling and makes it feel more spacious for my tall self!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TantoTrailers

Dang thats sweet!!! I'm taking my new baby to the shop today and if all checks out I will be looking to get the paint fixed up. Then it off to have some fun in the dirt before I decide what to do next.

Rutz-Carlton

If that was me I would take your cash (let's say you have $8000) and go put that down as a cash down on a new/newish 4Runner, and finance the difference.

The payment will be about the same amount of money you will need to spend to maintain this Cherokee, and you will be driving a brand new SUV that does not depreciate much. With proper A/C, air bags and windows that go up and down. And no leak.

A new 4Runner will depreciate much, much faster. The depreciation curve on a well-maintained XJ has essentially reached the flat tail at this point. (Or, as the current market demonstrates, the curve has now inverted.)

Last edited:

TantoTrailers

XJ is at the shop for a round of first items to fix. Looks like the oil pan gasket was folded or crimped causing a small leak, that is getting replaced and full synthetic oil change is getting done. Also on the list are rear pinion seal and rear shackle bushings need replacing. Other than that the shop says the body is solid and it can be repaired and running for a long long time! I'm looking into options for the rust repair once I get the truck back, hopefully that doesnt kill my upgrade budget. Found bumpers I would want and I'm debating the protection measures...would you guys recommend the frame stiffening? I'm not going to be taking it rock crawling or anything, just basic off roading and fire roads.

I purchased a clean 2000 example about 4 years ago in Colorado. Flew out and drove it back to the Midwest. I can say that you have a fine example! I'm in the process of finding time for stiffening the frame with some JCR parts and StinkyFab (I think). It's got 240k on the clock now and the creaks are louder by the day and have been hoarding parts for a mild build for a couple years to prevent any further decay. Keep in mind though it's been stock all it's life and now it's on the way to see some light trails and hunting as time allows. All components on my suspension are Old Man Emu and I'm following the build profile of Chris Schontz on this forum but with a little different direction. Happy Jeeping amd welcome to the community!

carlo muro

Looks pretty solid if you ask me. Normal times, I'd say 10-11k is on the high side but given the current used car market I think 10k is just about spot on. Mileage isn't bad considering age. Any exterior pics? XJ is my favorite jeep body style and I wanted one for many years. Interior looks super clean too most are junk. Do they have pics of what it looked like prior to painting the underside?

I know they have overheating issues when they get a little older so I'd have that checked out as well as have it looked over by a Jeep mechanic for a better idea. With proper care the 4.0 will last you at least another 100k.

Coming from a V8 guy...I have always felt that most jeeps are under powered which is why I never got one.
Auto 4.0 Cherokees of this vintage are 3.55 and move along quite well. Manuals are 3.07 and are dogs by comparison. I daily drove a manual for a dozen years. Waaayy too high gearing.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Auto 4.0 Cherokees of this vintage are 3.55 and move along quite well. Manuals are 3.07 and are dogs by comparison. I daily drove a manual for a dozen years. Waaayy too high gearing.
100% agree. The auto is very torquey with the 4.0. I drove a GC in HS for a year while my sister was a freshman in college and enjoyed it. Still like my V8 more!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles