2000 4runner opinions

TMOD

New here and thought i would ask for quick opinions from the Toytota guys.

Ran across a 2000 Limited 4X4 with 156k miles. They are asking $3900. Seems like an excellent deal to me if the truck is in good working order. What do you think and anything to look out for in that year model?
Would you take this truck on a cross country trip once it has been checked out?

Last edited:

TMOD

One more thing to add, and yes I know this is the toyotoa sub-forum so i can predict the answer, but would you take this 4R over an 2005 Trailblazer with the same miles and same price?

mathers420

Observer
One more thing to add, and yes I know this is the toyotoa sub-forum so i can predict the answer, but would you take this 4R over an 2005 Trailblazer with the same miles and same price?

100%

3rd Gen 4Runners (1996 - 2002) are great vehicles. As long as the frame is clean and the radiator is relatively new, you shouldn't have any problems (beyond owning an 18 year old car problems).

The one issue I've heard about is "pink milkshake" where the transmission cooler in the radiator fails and mixes coolant with the trans fluid which if not caught immediately can lead to a broken transmission. That's literally the only issue you need to keep an eye on beyond regular maintenance. You can also bypass the radiator cooler and never worry about it.

I would not expect a 2005 Trailblazer to hold up compared to the 4runner at all.

TMOD

Thanks for the info.

Now that I have a few minutes, I can expand on what I have in mind for this truck, or whatever i end up with.

I need something with basic off road capability and I know the 4R has that covered. The truck will mostly be used for long road trips but will need to be able to get to trail heads once we arrive at our destination. Places I wouldn't want or be able to take my Odyssey. This would be a travel rig that i may be living out of for weeks or even a month or two, as I plan to travel extensively across the country once I retire in a couple of years.

My original target for this type of rig was something a little newer as dependability is a major concern being a few thousand miles from home at any time. I need the space to be able to sleep in the back and carry all the camping/hiking gear i would need. My original thoughts came down to 4Runner, Pathfinder, Grand Cherokee, and Subaru Outback (and possibly Chevy TBlazer).....pretty much in that order of preference. The 4Runners with under 100k miles and less than 10 years old are crazy expensive in my area, so when I saw this one, I thought it might be worth a little stretch on the age and mileage to make it work.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Rust is about the only thing that will take an older Toyota off the road permanently. Most everything is fixable or can be rebuilt and the big part for me is that it's worth doing it. What I mean is a 4Runner with 156k isn't going to feel like it's worn out for a long time more. So even if it does need ball joints and a radiator or whatever it's not money thrown away.

The choice for me might also depend on how much trail you expect to do. IOW, a 4Runner, Grand Cherokee and probably the Pathfinder are going to stink for manners and mileage over a Outback if all you need is dirt road capability. But if you truly need 4WD low range to do what you want then a Subaru is going to fall short.

I don't know much about Trailblazers but they never stuck me as particularly off road capable. I dunno.

Arktikos

Explorer
It's a good deal if in good shape. Things to look out for are a rusted inner frame, especially near the muffler, bad steering rack and ball joints-basically the front end, and that radiator issue. I wouldn't hesitate to take it over a Trailblazer.

TMOD

Rust is about the only thing that will take an older Toyota off the road permanently. Most everything is fixable or can be rebuilt and the big part for me is that it's worth doing it. What I mean is a 4Runner with 156k isn't going to feel like it's worn out for a long time more. So even if it does need ball joints and a radiator or whatever it's not money thrown away.

The choice for me might also depend on how much trail you expect to do. IOW, a 4Runner, Grand Cherokee and probably the Pathfinder are going to stink for manners and mileage over a Outback if all you need is dirt road capability. But if you truly need 4WD low range to do what you want then a Subaru is going to fall short.

I don't know much about Trailblazers but they never stuck me as particularly off road capable. I dunno.

Right, I hear ya. The thinking is I'd rather have the off road capability and not need it, then not have it and run into a situation where i wished i did. I plan on doing a lot of traveling in the west, and that is unfamiliar ground for me, so it is a bit of an unknown. I know I won't try anything too extreme though.

Regarding the Trailblazer, It wasn't really on my radar until reading a couple of the build threads on here. The guys did some really cool things with them, but agree that they would most likely need quite a bit more in mods and upgrades to make them viable.

TMOD

It's a good deal if in good shape. Things to look out for are a rusted inner frame, especially near the muffler, bad steering rack and ball joints-basically the front end, and that radiator issue. I wouldn't hesitate to take it over a Trailblazer.

Thanks. Hopefully I will get a chance to see this truck tonight and I will look for those issues.
I'll keep everyone updated.

TMOD

So I didn't get a chance to look at the truck after all. I think he sold it out from under me.

It happens. The good news is I'm learning a lot in this process and I still have my cash in my pocket.

The search goes on...

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Right, I hear ya. The thinking is I'd rather have the off road capability and not need it, then not have it and run into a situation where i wished i did. I plan on doing a lot of traveling in the west, and that is unfamiliar ground for me, so it is a bit of an unknown. I know I won't try anything too extreme though.
Don't worry too much about a Subaru, you can see lots of cool stuff with one. To really *need* low range you have to seek it out. A Subaru can get you into and back out of plenty of trouble.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
One of the most durable vehicles ever produced. 156K is not too much if it's been maintained. We have one in South America with 289K and it's been driven down from Alaska - so not easy miles per say. That's a good price too (assuming there is no rust)

thezentree

pretend redneck
I'm a big fan on 3rd gens. Mine is at about 197k and going strong.

I know the one you were looking at is off the table but if you decide to keep looking for one, as pointed out earlier, a recent timing belt/waterpump change and a rust-free frame are really the big things. Salt-belt 3rd gens are notorious for the frame rusting through from the inside out at the rear lower control arm mount, so check that area for rust. Leaking valve cover gaskets on the 3.4L is another common issue but that shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Once you get one, replace the lower ball joints with Toyota (this is important) parts. You might as well do all the front end stuff while you're in there, but the LBJs are the most critical.

TMOD

I'm a big fan on 3rd gens. Mine is at about 197k and going strong.

I know the one you were looking at is off the table but if you decide to keep looking for one, as pointed out earlier, a recent timing belt/waterpump change and a rust-free frame are really the big things. Salt-belt 3rd gens are notorious for the frame rusting through from the inside out at the rear lower control arm mount, so check that area for rust. Leaking valve cover gaskets on the 3.4L is another common issue but that shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Once you get one, replace the lower ball joints with Toyota (this is important) parts. You might as well do all the front end stuff while you're in there, but the LBJs are the most critical.

Thanks Zen! I am learning a ton as I search. I really like the 3rd gens too. My wife had a 99 SR5 2WD back in the day as her DD and we really liked it, though it never saw anything but pavement.

I'll keep looking...

7echo

Adventurer
Not sure what year Ody you have but I have an '03 and a '99 T4R.

The T4R is small in the drivers and front passenger areas compared to the Ody. Not too small for me, I really like the T4R. But the wife greatly prefers the spacious front of the Ody.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles