2000 110 in the states - unobtanium?

NYCRover

Observer
Prior to MBUSA bringing in the G, and during the gray market rule going into effect, Europa spent 5 years certifying the G to meet emissions standards, performing multiple crash tests, and a lot more. They had at least two different status's - a FSM (Final Stage Manufacturer) and, after another 2 years and $1million, a SVM (Small Volume MFG).

ah that's right- I forgot about the whole- providing vehicles for crash tests..

TacThomas

OneManArmy - Good to know my writing makes me sound sketch:).

Just trying to learn what the options are from people who may have navigated the waters before. The Jaloponik article is good, as is this one by Joseph Risi on the main site. Do you know anyone who has tried to demonstrate equivalency to the 93'NAS? Thanks again

KyleT

Explorer
Fmvss has a very detailed pdf that explains what can qualify and what needs to be done to make a non NAS defender into a NAS defender to make it legal. Stuff like lights, seat belts, cage, emissions Ect...

Fwiw, "NAS" spec defenders were sold to other counties, but are not numbered. You can import them similarly to a 25 yr old vehicle, but they aren't 25 yrs old.

Roverchef

Adventurer
Go get a job @ the factory and everyday bring home another piece of one in your lunch pale until you have enough pieces to assemble it and then mail the pieces to your cousin in America who can assemble it for you and then title it as a tractor since that is what they primarily are…good tractors but still tractors!

hillstrubl

Observer
There are very few ways that truck could be here legally; most, if not all of which aren't available to the average Joe.

If it is truly a 2000 TD5, this is not true. Even as "off road only" this would not apply as the OEM intended it for road use. Its not on the show and display list and the engine is not EPA certified in any way. Find another truck.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Fmvss has a very detailed pdf that explains what can qualify and what needs to be done to make a non NAS defender into a NAS defender to make it legal. Stuff like lights, seat belts, cage, emissions Ect...

Yes, this document does exist. It basically outlines that it's impossible to bring it up to spec.

fhttp://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2005-08-05/html/05-15480.htm

That's for 90's, and the acceptable VIN sequences mean that only 1997 D90's that were built with USA/50 state emission systems from the factory are eligible for import. That makes it a non-starter (well technically as mentioned you could import one of the NAS spec 90s that was originally sent to Japan).

Last edited:

TacThomas

the Defender in question is now posted on Ebay

For those curious; I passed on the rig. It is now for sale on ebay

I've seen it in person twice, paid for a full inspection from Defenders NW and it is NICE. Too bad I couldn't reduce the price and risk enough to make it work.

Big mike

Adventurer
Ok to be absolutely clear all gray market cars are not illegal and will not result in insurance not covering .
There are some vehicles that simply can not come here period. But like my Hilux which has a gray market " title " and is insured as that .
It's like any other vehicle. I had to go through paperwork and some mods to get it here form Australia , but was well worth it. By the way it's a 2012 .
I run it all over highways legally and and and.
So before someone spouts out all gray market cars are bad news .....well consider the source !
Big mike

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
It's not grey market, it's just not legal. The Td5 was never certified for US road use in that vehicle and thus it is not grey market, it is not N.A. market, it's just not legal.

catmann

Those seized vehicles are finally being returned. If it was not lister earlier (I did not check all the links in this thread), here is a long thread covering the topic and it also highlights a few people who can probably answer all the OP's questions.

Here is a news article as well.

Last edited:

Mack73

Adventurer
For those curious; I passed on the rig. It is now for sale on ebay

I've seen it in person twice, paid for a full inspection from Defenders NW and it is NICE. Too bad I couldn't reduce the price and risk enough to make it work.

Yes. This is the same rig I spotted back in Kenmore WA ~2.5 years ago. It was at a tow company auction yard. Owner of the yard said it wasn't up for auction and that was as much info as I could get. It was gone 2 weeks later. Here are 2 photos I took of it:

IMG_0280_zps53szdaby.jpg

IMG_0279_zpsf69nzzpx.jpg

pricey

Observer
It's not grey market, it's just not legal. The Td5 was never certified for US road use in that vehicle and thus it is not grey market, it is not N.A. market, it's just not legal.
Sucks to be you guys! :( The TD5 is the best land rover motor IMHO. It passes the Australian emissions tests even without catalytic converters. It's always amazed me that you can register massive V8's in the states but not small and frugal diesels.

TacThomas

@mack73 - that's the one. The current owner said he picked it up at auction. Looks like it sold for $55k on ebay. wish it was mine.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Sucks to be you guys! :( The TD5 is the best land rover motor IMHO. It passes the Australian emissions tests even without catalytic converters. It's always amazed me that you can register massive V8's in the states but not small and frugal diesels.

I sort of agree with you. I love the Td5, it's an amazing engine to drive and rely on. However, the lack of ability to service it by yourself in the field is what irks me. Too many electronics!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online