2000 110 in the states - unobtanium?

aluke0510

Adventurer
That's the million dollar question...

Buy a 25yr old one as the base and import individual parts to upgrade everything. To be fully legal you run into the motor/epa issues. I don't know the exact rule but I remember from my searching that the EPA rule was shorter than vehicle rule. Something like you could bring in and use a 15yr import engine for road use while non conforming vehicles have to be 25yr old. No issue though if you want the petrol Rover V8 as it is already here. Diesels are another issue.

Combine the cost of a 25yr old Defender with the cost of importing newer parts, labour, freight. I would guestimate you could have a great condition 110 upgraded to a 2000 spec for $150,000.

Edit: Or build and register as a custom car. Probably similar price...

Overland Experts has several otherwise unobtanium trucks here in the States.

Aren't those all strictly off-highway? There are Land Cruiser 70's running around in mines in the US and Canada but they can't leave the mine sites...

Last edited:

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I know the local off road training company has a legal brand new Hilux with diesel motor. But they got "permission" because they train military folks on driving. I have no other facts, it has a state plate and that was the answer I got when I asked....

Elbee

Adventurer
If you have enough money you can make it happen. But for the average joe, no.... Or you will be doing something illegally or be in a very very grey area.
Another scenario that it could be diplomatic vehicle that got sold. There is a hilux, and a 70 series land cruiser that came in that way.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Up to like, 2013, people were doing VIN swaps. There are a number of TD5 and PUMAs running around here. Also you'd see for sale a 1983 Puma 110. That is how those trucks got in.

However the .gov wised up and now knows what engines are in these trucks and what is not legit.

So long story short, no. You cannot import and register a 2000 here in the US. You could probably skirt around the issue if you could get embassy plates or something like that. There is a Puma 110 running around nearby with embassy plates.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
We've had a couple at Rovers North, completely legally. The Rover Shop in Florida has a legal 130 Td5 at the moment. There are ways, don't bother playing the game unless you're willing to take the risks of doing it wrong.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'll mention this again - non US spec vehicle vs US car insurance you will loose any sort of coverage claims involving an accident unless you have very costly specialized insurance coverage where the provider is 100% aware your operating a non US spec vehicle on US roads. Good friend learned this lesson the hard way. Not his fault got hit by a Red Light Runner more or less lost what he had in the truck, and got screwed out of his medical bill coverage also.

So its not just about getting one of these in the US its also about having the clams to fund special insurance coverage that will cover your hide if you get wiped out by a texting soccer mom running a red light.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Diplomatic import, import for race/display, special exemption for military/government support, etc. Basically you need to either be in the vehicle OEM industry, or have enough $$$ to field a legal team and fight for an exemption under one of the exclusions.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
They build their vehicles using original NAS Defenders, or 25+ year old legally imported 90s/110s as donors. They come into the country as original, unmodified vehicles and then companies like Himalaya modify/ruin them stateside.

rlynch356

Defyota
We've had a couple at Rovers North, completely legally. The Rover Shop in Florida has a legal 130 Td5 at the moment. There are ways, don't bother playing the game unless you're willing to take the risks of doing it wrong.

The Rover Shop one - is actually here on an exemption (1 yr i believe) in order for the work to be done on it and then it's getting shipped out to england so he can continue his around the world trip home. Completely different situation (i.e. he had to post a bond and cannot register it or drive it in the states i believe.. It was towed up here for cage work by a local shop.)

End all, be all.... You CAN import a truck that is 25 years old and ORIGINAL. You cannot import anything less than that or that has had more modern parts added to it such as the engine, bulkhead, frame and some other items...

my 2 cents..

NYCRover

Observer
From my Audi experiences I know of people who were buying RS4 Avants (not sold here in the US) in Mexico, bringing them up to spec via swapping cats and items like that for emissions and then proving that the car was substantially similar to the A4, allowing for registration domestically. Isn't this also how Europa G's were imported back in the late 90's early 2000s?

My question is, why couldn't one do this for a petrol 110? why can't you take a petrol 110 from the mid 90s or even later from the ROW and prove that it is substantially similar to the NAS 110 sold here in 1993 or so (I can't imagine they are THAT different) and just bring it up to spec emissions-wise and throw a roll cage on it? At the end of the day wouldn't this be cheaper than restoring a old rusty 1980's Defender?

Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question.

onemanarmy

Explorer
you can.

It just takes mountains of time, resources, and paperwork to even get a chance to speak your case. No guarantee it will get in.

Any vehicle that wasn't sold in the north American market originally is not legal for import and use on the roads unless it is 25 years old. Some are here, but under shady circumstances.

Search for the article on Jalopnik about this. He imported a Skyline (25 years old) and explains the processes pretty well.

The OP of this thread seems sketch....may be a fishing expedition for the Feds.

koly

Observer
From my Audi experiences I know of people who were buying RS4 Avants (not sold here in the US) in Mexico, bringing them up to spec via swapping cats and items like that for emissions and then proving that the car was substantially similar to the A4, allowing for registration domestically. Isn't this also how Europa G's were imported back in the late 90's early 2000s?
Prior to MBUSA bringing in the G, and during the gray market rule going into effect, Europa spent 5 years certifying the G to meet emissions standards, performing multiple crash tests, and a lot more. They had at least two different status's - a FSM (Final Stage Manufacturer) and, after another 2 years and $1million, a SVM (Small Volume MFG).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles