2000 110 in the states - unobtanium?

TacThomas

Sooooooo...... I managed to come across a 2000 110 TD5 currently located in the states. From everything I've read, HERE and HERE it is impossible to own a post 1990 110 without risking seizure. Anyone have a different understanding or my categorization of post-'90 defenders as unobtanium stand?

To be clear - I am not the owner of the vehicle.

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Did you try searching here? :coffee:

In short, there is no legal way to import one that's less than 25 years old.

Exploder
There are very few ways that truck could be here legally; most, if not all of which aren't available to the average Joe.

TacThomas

Did you try searching here? :coffee:

In short, there is no legal way to import one that's less than 25 years old.

Lynn - Thanks for the link. Somehow the vehicle is already inside the US of A, so importing it isn't the issue. The question is if there a method to de-risk or gain approval for the vehicle already being in the States.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Lynn - Thanks for the link. Somehow the vehicle is already inside the US of A, so importing it isn't the issue. The question is if there a method to de-risk or gain approval for the vehicle already being in the States.

Customs has been hunting down vehicles that are not US spec. I bet they read these forums along with many others to track down illegal vehicles. If all your doing is running it on your ranch thats one thing but public roads is another deal. Grey market vehicles involved in an accident does not end well for the Grey markey car owner. I know someone T-boned by acred light runner he totally got screwed medical and his vehicle loss given the offenders insurance bailed when they found out he was in a grey market car. His own coverage bailed also. Basically he got F-cked from both ends. After seeing that I would have zero interest in a non US spec vehicle inside US borders simply from insurance and liability stand point.

TravelinLight

Observer
The best way to see how it got here is to get the VIN and run it against the Land Rover DB. If they switch plates for say a 1980 Stage 1 V8 you have your answer. There is no way I would touch it with a 10 foot pole, unless it came free of charge. The legal costs and hopes and dreams shattered would not be worth it.

5 or 10 years ago maybe, not today with the EPA having a bur up their backside.

Run do not walk away from this unicorn.

My guess would be that it was imported into Canada (we only have a 15 yr requirement) then brought south across the border... not that makes it any more legal... just a possible scenario given the coincidence of the years matching up

Mack73

Adventurer
I also ran into a 2000 TD5 in Washington with local plates on it a couple years ago (tabs expired in 2010)

Couldn't get any more info than

KyleT

Explorer
I have seen a 2002 110 in the U.S. Before. Back in 2007ish. Had plates and was LHD. Totally "legal" at the state level. I have heard of people getting puma 110's in but only heard.

You have to be very careful how you get it in and register it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EricTyrrell

Expo God
Question still isn't answered. How does un-average Joe get a new Defender in? Wealth? Business ownership? Political status? Legal loopholes? How exactly?

Pogue

Workin on it
check the nhtsa website page for importation eligibility. Everything is outlined in detail.
Used to, 10+ years ago you could import it as a separate frame and body.(i.e. no requirements on parts, only vehicles.) reassemble it on a NAS frame and be good. Now it seems to be hit or miss.
You can import it as off road use only, like the kei trucks everyone brought over a while back.
You can illegally swap VIN #s.
If you can convince customs you have a legitimate rover shop and are using it for promotional purposes or research you may be able to get one for a while.
Register it in Canada or Mexico as the rules are different there.

Edit: there are other ways, but its gotten a lot harder lately due to demand customs has really cracked down. Very specicific paperwork and using the right importers with the right rep seems to be the key. Once you're in federally, state level seems to be a whole lot easier. At least in TX, hell we dont even require windshields

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles