2000 110 in the states - unobtanium?

DividingCreek

Explorer
There are very few ways that truck could be here legally; most, if not all of which aren't available to the average Joe.

This.

To make blanket statements that there is no way is completely incorrect.
Movie studio's, doctors without boundaries etc are just a couple of examples
of exceptions I have seen to written law.

Stalone wanted one of the 6x6 defenders used in the 2nd Expendables movie.
Its @ his place in California and not only wasn't legal for import, it certainly wasn't
California legal.

Additionally our own government routinely seizes things and then either uses them and
eventually sells them off legally with titles or auction them off right away.

I see things done regularly that I can't do and I have imported hundreds and hundreds of vehicles.

FWIW DOT keeps records and you can call with a VIN and ask if they have import records on the truck.

DividingCreek

Explorer
Fmvss has a very detailed pdf that explains what can qualify and what needs to be done to make a non NAS defender into a NAS defender to make it legal. Stuff like lights, seat belts, cage, emissions Ect...

Fwiw, "NAS" spec defenders were sold to other counties, but are not numbered. You can import them similarly to a 25 yr old vehicle, but they aren't 25 yrs old.

The DOT exception regs you reference miss one key point. The truck had to be built as a fuel injected V8 and left hand drive in order to be eligible to be brought up to spec.
The only trucks rover built to those specs also have epa and dot stickers under the hood and in the left footwell, ie these are NAS trucks. In 9 years of importing defenders I have yet to hear of anyone finding a non NAS truck that was a fuel injected lhd V8 that could be brought up to the proposed spec.
Just because it exists on a list doesn't mean it exists. Kind of like saying a Unicorn horn can be brought up to spec.

DividingCreek

Explorer
Customs has been hunting down vehicles that are not US spec. I bet they read these forums along with many others to track down illegal vehicles. If all your doing is running it on your ranch thats one thing but public roads is another deal. Grey market vehicles involved in an accident does not end well for the Grey markey car owner. I know someone T-boned by acred light runner he totally got screwed medical and his vehicle loss given the offenders insurance bailed when they found out he was in a grey market car. His own coverage bailed also. Basically he got F-cked from both ends. After seeing that I would have zero interest in a non US spec vehicle inside US borders simply from insurance and liability stand point.

You are completely misinformed on what is going on with Customs.

As far as grey market vehicile insurance goes, the ONLY way what you describe could happen is if your "friend" lied to his insurer. Most all major insurance company's knowingly and willingly insure grey market cars. Why not ? Hundreds are imported daily all over the country. I have driven grey market cars since the 1980's and have had accidents and have never had a claim issue.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Amen! Glad to see someone dispel the rumors and misinformation!

Now, how do I get a TD5 110 !!!!! I've been in love with it since getting to peak in a nice modern one only a few years old that a Swiss couple was rolling through the US a couple years back. I'd have bought it from them on the sound of it's start up alone ;)

pricey

Observer
I sort of agree with you. I love the Td5, it's an amazing engine to drive and rely on. However, the lack of ability to service it by yourself in the field is what irks me. Too many electronics!

I've got a nanocom for the electronics side. But that being said I've never had a single electronics engine related issue in many hundreds of thousands of kms in either of my two td5's. They've actually been a much more reliable engine compared to the two 300 tdi's I've also had. The great thing about the td5 is its tunability. All you need is a nanocom and an emailed tune to change the vehicles characteristics. So in my experience the electronics are actually a big plus.

Cheers,

Pricey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online