2000, 100 series build

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Ben,
Hopefully your diff set-up guy wasn't trained by the guy I used the first go around with locker & gear set install (Sean...owner of River City Differentials in Sacramento)! Per hoser we had to use gears and ARB from the 80-Series up until a few years ago when Nitro (maybe others now too) started offering 100-Series gear sets and ditto for ARB.

Even after I relayed the original instructions from Christo to Sean (argh...in writing no less) after getting the 3rds back home to Reno and installed it was then I learned Sean had NOT installed the 32-spline side gears but instead installed the 30-spline gears. What a hassle.

Through the process of breakdowns from Sean's incompetence I learned good diff set-up guys are hard to find. Sean's not on that good diff guy list.

Benc

Explorer
The order shows a air locker for a 98-07 landcruiser 100 32 spline. I just want to make sure there is no way he can make the wrong gears work in the right locker. The shop I'm using has a really good reputation so I Think it should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spressomon

Expedition Leader
AFAIK the 80-Series style ring gear will not mount to the 100-Series style ARB carrier (and visa-versa). Sounds like you are on the right path.

Benc

Explorer
PS, that locker price is also way under MAP, you got a really good deal on all those parts.

Yeah, I found the lockers for that price on line and he matched it. He also just informed me that his computers were down when he gave the quote and the rear gears should have cost more. He quoted the wrong ones but ordered the right ones and honored his original quote. Good call!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
The order shows a air locker for a 98-07 landcruiser 100 32 spline. I just want to make sure there is no way he can make the wrong gears work in the right locker. The shop I'm using has a really good reputation so I Think it should be fine.

Nope... not going to work short of a different carrier (ARB, elocker or otherwise) or the correct gears.

Benc

Explorer
Nope... not going to work short of a different carrier (ARB, elocker or otherwise) or the correct gears.

Thanks,
It's all straightened out. The pic was not the receipt just a quote. He quoted me the wrong gears but when I gave him the go ahead to order he got the right ones and ate the cost difference. Thanks again guys and good catch!

Benc

Explorer
4.88s and arbs are all done, and what a difference! With the gears and headers I think it feels better than stock. Can't wait to try out the arbs!

Benc

Explorer
Tested the air lockers out a couple weeks ago. Also added some aux 12 plugs and blue sea system aux fuse box to my secondary battery. And some headrest monitors for the kids ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420239617.320879.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1420239639.142056.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1420239660.933965.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1420239677.460911.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1420239698.716849.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1420239715.700797.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1420239734.233405.jpg

Last edited:

Bretthn

Explorer
You have a sweet 100 and some amazing fabricating skills! Can't wait to see more.
Any plans to build a roof rack for the tent and awning or are you happy with the stock cross bars?

fireball

Explorer
Wow, what all are you planning to charge in that thing?! I put a 12V and a dual USB in the rear cupholder slot just light you did. I don't think the 12V has ever been used. My kids asked what it was for, I don't think they know what a 12V charger looks like!

Not sure if the extra 12V in the rear cargo is for a fridge, but if so you might find it in the way. I installed one before I actually had the fridge in place and then found out the wire was right in the way of where we'd store all our gear - doh!!!

Poor first choice of plug location:
IMG_2290.jpg

Now hardwired into aux fuse panel, wrapped around cargo box and out of the way, much improved!:
IMG_2302.jpg

Benc

Explorer
You have a sweet 100 and some amazing fabricating skills! Can't wait to see more.
Any plans to build a roof rack for the tent and awning or are you happy with the stock cross bars?

Thanks guys, yes I do plan to build a full roof rack but I eventually want to build a full expo trailer. Hopefully in the next year or so.

Benc

Explorer
Wow, what all are you planning to charge in that thing?! I put a 12V and a dual USB in the rear cupholder slot just light you did. I don't think the 12V has ever been used. My kids asked what it was for, I don't think they know what a 12V charger looks like!

Not sure if the extra 12V in the rear cargo is for a fridge, but if so you might find it in the way. I installed one before I actually had the fridge in place and then found out the wire was right in the way of where we'd store all our gear - doh!!!

Poor first choice of plug location:
View attachment 263694

Now hardwired into aux fuse panel, wrapped around cargo box and out of the way, much improved!:
View attachment 263695

The ones in the rear cup holder are for the kids iPads, games, heated blankets ect. No plans for a fridge in the cab. The fridge will go in the trailer when I build it. I just figured I would put several throughout while I was wiring. I also put one in the little compartment in the back passenger side. The iPads fit perfectly in that compartment so they can be charging while stored. None of the aux plugs are wired to an ignition source so the key does not have to be on to use them. Good call on the fridge plug. I can definitely see how that location would be a pain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz