200 Tdi Cold Weather Issue or Something More Sinister?

gm13

Adventurer
We're in a bit of a colder spell here, 9f today, down to -4 tonight and a good wind with it. 110 started ok, warmed up for ten minutes or so, the new Espar Airtronic D2 fired up without a hitch as usual. 5 miles down the road it starts to bog down a bit then pick back up, more gas pedal, more bog etc, this continues but not as terribly as on the way back. Arrive at my destination, parked for 5 hours or so, go to head out, starts up fine but now it has no power, smokey and won't do more than about 8 mph but it gets me home in 1st or 2nd gear, bogging and stuttering the whole way and struggling more on the hills. Heater won't fire up either after repeated attempts, though it's trying, fuel pump clicking away, just won't ignite (fuel line T for heater is before separator). I haven't pulled any filters yet but did add some PS Diesel supplement+ Cetane boost, sloshed it around and let the truck run for a bit to get some to the filters. Sound like a gelling issue or ice in the line somewhere? Would have assumed a winter blend at the pump, who knows. I've never checked the water separator...

Thanks for any input

Douglas S.

Adventurer
Sounds like fuel gelling. Cruiser does the same thing if ant-gel isn't added to every tank. However, -4F isn't really that cold.

Ronct110

Adventurer
Spoiled here in California - now I won't complain if our temp drops to 40F. Wow -4F in Maine. That's cold.

Anyways gm13, when was the last time you flushed the coolant and do you use 50/50 mix or 70/30 during the winter?

And do you use synthentic diesel motor oil during the winter?

Last edited:

gm13

Adventurer
Thing is this was happening at 9f. I think that would gel #2 though. Is it typical of the tdi to start on gelled fuel but not run well?

Most of the coolant was replaced when the head gasket was done about a year ago, though not an official flush, 50/50. no, still has the 15w40 in it. Starts fine, though I was going to step down to syn 10w for winter at next change.

Timo K

Observer
I had some really similar symptons with a 300Tdi last winter. Temps were also around -4F. It started fine and ran normally for a mile or two, but then lost almost all power and would not idle, very poor starting and had to keep the accelerator floored to keep it running. One morning it did that on the fly at 50mph and just died. I managed to limp to a gas station just up the next ramp. I let it sit at a service station and poured a bottle of anti-gel into the tank and no more issues after that. That was despite using winter grade diesel rated to -22F. Apparently it's the fuel filter that gets clogged up. Drain the water from it and pour some anti-gel into the tank and you should be good to go. If the problem persists then you know it's not that...

There is a small fuel filter on the the bottom of the fuel pick up in the gas tank that should always be removed during a tdi conversion. Pull out the sending unit and see if this filter is still there, if it is remove it. Ive seen these cause similar symptoms to what you are describing.

Red90

Adventurer
Yah, gelling. It depends on where you get the fuel from.

Throw in some Powerservice 911 and then follow with Powerservice in the white bottle every fill. Can't hurt to change the fuel filter.

gm13

Adventurer
A balmy 7f today, still running rough after PS Cetane boost added last eve but didn't take it out of the driveway. Heater fired up ok though. I pulled the sedimentor and found a 1/2" of ice in the bottom and a bit of sludge, probably not the culprit. It's still the V8 filter in there, one of these(thanks Trevor):
JS660L.jpg
I'd assume that's finer than the diesel version, it's worked I guess. The secondary is a Racor 230R 2 micron set-up which may be too small. Picked up a new Purolator 50149 which I may replace in the original Delphi-esque filter housing and re-install that tomorrow. I like the ability to add a heater unit to the Racor though, might just go up to 10 micron for that one and see if it helps.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

DividingCreek

Explorer
Fuel starvation. You can't use gasoline filters for diesel. Its a bad idea to have anything but a sedimentor before the "lift pump" its more of a pusher pump than a sucker.

Last edited:

atlcruiser

Supporting Sponsor
I am thinking gel as well but my 110 did the exact same thing when it first got cold, below 40' f this year.

The issue was only in the early am as the day warmed up it went away. Eventually I decided that air was getting into the system when cold. Replaced the fuel lines and it fixed the problem

gm13

Adventurer
Fuel starvation. You can't use gasoline filters for diesel. Its a bad idea to have anything but a sedimentor before the "lift pump" its more of a pusher pump than a sucker.

Given the outfit it came from, I don't know why I was surprised to see an element in there but I was. Thought it was just a sedimentor. Never seemed to have an issue, though must have been harder on the pump.

gm13

Adventurer
I pulled the external V8 fuel pump along with the filter/ water separator. Little bit of ice in the bottom of the pump too. I had thought that was the primary fuel pump to get diesel to the lift pump. RN informed me that the lift pump is the ONLY fuel pump on a tdi. So I had an extra gas filter and a pump that diesel had to be pulled through apparently. Ordered a Delphi sedimentor today to splice in where the V8 pump/filter used to be. Anyone have pictures of that set-up, V8 Fuel lines to diesel sedimentor? Don't know if the fittings on the fuel line are going to work out with the new Delphi. The male side is M12 X 1.25 assume the female is the same but didn't check, that will obviously need an adapter, hopefully it won't be a PITA to find, I'm out my DD till parts show up. Anyone know the fuel pressure between the lift pump and secondary filter on the bulkhead? Thanks again.
L1000217.jpg

eco 45

Supporting Sponsor
Main method of dealing with gelled diesel fuel is to remove all fuel filters...replace with new fuel filter filled with "treated" diesel and add anti-gelling agent to the tank. Gelling is worst in the filters and can take a long time to clear up depending on temperature as it is dictated by the temperature in the engine compartment as to how fast the fuel filters heat up. Truck still wont run perfect as it takes a while to fully clear the fuel lines from the tank to the various filters of gelled fuel. If you can beg a friend to barrow a heated garage...doesn't take much just over freezing and this will speed up the recovery time. I run Biodiesel year round, however I always remember to add fuel additive and have yet to be left stranded. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles