200 Series questions-~Touareg tdi

Jwestpro

Explorer
As someone who has been around VWs for most of my life, if youre going with the first gen, you had better get the best, most complete 3rd party warranty you can get your hands on, especially since youre going V10 diesel. Bumper to bumper. Its going to get V8 fuel mileage and parts are terribly expensive if they fail. The turbos are north of $2k and then you have to get them installed. A lot of things require the removal of the motor. Find a V8 instead. Seriously. Or, better yet, find a 2007-2010 VW Touareg with the 6 cylinder tdi.

I guess this thread is long dead - but, in case anyone reads this thread for informational purposes, do not listen to anything the above poster wrote. A number of completely incorrect statements about the Touareg show a wide ranging lack of knowledge on the subject.

FYI, I've owned the V10 and a LC.

CYK

Adventurer
There is NO debate.

Land cruiser >>>>>>>> touareg

Highlander >> touareg

200 >> 100

Toyota > vw

The end.

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
Debateable. Especially with the lack of aftermarket support for the 200.

Not sure what you are talking about:

- Fox, Radflo, TJM, ARB, Ironman 4x4, etc for suspensions
- ARB and TJM bumpers
- Rasta, TJM, etc. for skidplates
- ARB and TJM snorkels
- TJM, ARB, etc. for lockers
- Slee and Metaltech 4x4 for sliders
- Baja Rack and Front Runner for roof racks
- Total Chaos upper control arms

Did I miss anything other than generic tents, dual battery systems, refrigerators, etc.?

nasko

Adventurer
All I see is a comparison to vw, it seems you're inferring quite a lot.

Well, the "NO debate... The End" part is kind of obscene. Amarok for instance is receiving great reviews and is beating the Hilux lately. The VW TDI's are great engines, many will argue better than Toyota's diesels. No one can make a statement that this is better than that and that's that. Toyota's are great, but there are others that are good. The whole Toyota > VW is ridiculous. It is an opinion and as such it is very much up for debate.

Last edited:

CYK

Adventurer
Well, the "NO debate... The End" part is kind of obscene. Amarok for instance is receiving great reviews and is beating the Hilux lately. The VW TDI's are great engines, many will argue better than Toyota's diesels. No one can make a statement that this is better than that and that's that. Toyota's are great, but there are others that are good. The whole Toyota > VW is ridiculous. It is an opinion and as such it is very much up for debate.

show us a vw tou off-roading site like this one.. i'll make it easier.. show us a vw end user community site period and let's review its contents together.

smh you gotta be kidding me

nasko

Adventurer
There are a ton of forum/websites dedicated to VW 4x4 vans. The Amarok is a great small truck, the Toureg while not as capable off road as a 200, is a great machine and will go to a plenty of places while being significantly cheaper. At the end of the day everyone can choose what they want. All I said is that no one can claim that their opinion is the ultimate truth. That's all. Continue drinking the Toyota coolaid and I will be happy to consider others.
Cheers

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I'd pick the 200, but not because of looks or because it's to me, the "Ultimate Landcruiser" (I've been fortunateunfortunate enough to live and run LC's in other parts of the world and we simply don't get the best LC's IMO) but because of those specific two, the Toyota WILL be more reliable, end of story.

Per VW's:
VW has had Eras and models with serious issues no doubt, mostly electrical, but Volkswagen's in general are as reliable as Toyotas of legend, and Toyotas had some flops of it's own. I'm both a functional Toyota-holic with a 22RE 1st Gen rapidly approaching 400K and a committed VW nut-case who's owned/built water-cooled VW's for years as street and track/Rally cars. The Iron-Block inline 4 aka the "8/16v Engines" which were originally designed to be diesel engines, are some of the most reliable/robust engines ever made (it's still pretty much alive today as the much updated and ripping EA888). The Amorak is flat out awesome and I've sen Syncro Vanagons go places that had guys in more "typical", built trail rigs worried. They also had the best camp set-ups when we got there. It's really when VW goes out on a limb and start breaking new ground/design territory (or in general trying too hard and not thinking too clearly *cough* Phaeton...) and to a greater degree when they moved manufacturing centers and changed to a more "worldly" parts supplier roster, that they had MANY issues, mostly electrical in nature. My folks have a 6-speed '12 TDi Jetta Sport Wagon and it's not only the mileage king for distance travel, it's awesome to drive been an amazingly reliable car (aside from the factory Bluetooth System) and the engine is tough as nails, and I've owned MANY water cooled VW's. The new TDi motors of all sizes are all solid as long as you don't just ignore the maintenance needs and they have plenty of big-name ROW motor-sports domination to show that. If VW Brought the Diesel Amorak here tomorrow I can bet there'd be one in mine and my dads driveways the day after.

As for the Toureg specifically, some of the facts are it won Petersens 4wd of the year (FWIW), has actual real mechanical E-lockers F/R, it's suspension travel, while limited is not any worse then the much beloved stock US model G-Wagens (although it's not got a lot of aftermarket support in the US) and is quite capable off road so any comment on it not being up to the 200's level of capability, esp. n stock form, is simply incorrect. It's also a TANK, like litteraly. It weighs more then I can fathom looking at one in person, but you can feel it on the road. It's also super plush... maybe the weight comes from lead filled radioactive protective doors and body-panels, I don't know, but it's quiet inside and as comfy (if not somewhat cramped) and capable a stock ride as the 200 (it's a LOT like a Rangie actually, it's quite "upscale"). Facts are however also that it's a supremely unreliable with MANY well documented electrical issues and other malady's that make it a nice to drive rig on/off-road when it's working. It's also Uni-body so if it's gonna live a hard life off-road getting used, you'll want to do some reinforcing to help the body structure out (it's not XJ bad but...). Then there's the Engines... the V10's TDi's fuel econ is more akin to a FS Domestic PU on big tires then a mid-sized SUV let alone the much loved TDi MQB chassis 2.0 TDi cars that everyone thinks of when they hear "TDi". It's is a shame cause it's a neat engine and it's fun to drive (as long as you're not paying the fuel bill)... I mean it's a V10 Turbo diesel... The V8 is not cheap to work on and has some known issues, but I've never driven one so I don't know how they feel power wise. The V6 TDi is a pretty well proven engine in general, but again I've not driven one and I wonder what it feels like hauling around the Toureg's tonnage. It can also easily make as much torque as the V8 gasser can so maybe it's up to it as long as you're not drag-racing it.

The 200 is, to me, possibly the ugliest LC ever made (just my opinion). Its too big, too bulbous and to me, too far away from what I want in a truck with all the "Gee-Gaw" stuff I have no want of and a brake based trac-control system of which I'm universally not a fan of... It is however capable (although it does need some modding off the lot), typically reliable and perfectly comfy and roomy rolling down the road. It drives better ON road then any LC before it and it's a confident tow vehicle if that's your thing.

If I got to chose one for a day to go out and thrash on it, then give it back at the end of the day... I'd choose the VW, but if I had to OWN one of those two and live with it for years to come I'd choose the 200-series hands down.

Last edited:

Ramjet

Explorer
Great read. But here is my problem with a VW, reliability. I have had candid conversations with many mechanics and they would never buy a VW because of that reason and that reason alone. When you look at the grand scheme of things, that's why everyone across the world buys a land cruiser. It's reliable. Enough said.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Great read. But here is my problem with a VW, reliability. I have had candid conversations with many mechanics and they would never buy a VW because of that reason and that reason alone. When you look at the grand scheme of things, that's why everyone across the world buys a land cruiser. It's reliable. Enough said.
Your mechanic sounds a bit biased and un-informed or he's being overly general if he's talking about the company as a whole. My dad does the books/taxes for one of the more "well known" VW/Audi shops in Portland, OR and we've owned a LOT of VW's over the years and still own a fair few... I've also been wrenching on them since I was old enough to see under the bonnet. I wouldn't buy a Toureg specifically, BUT barring a few bad years, a Golf/Jetta or any MQB based car will likely be one of the most reliable cars you can ever own end of story. Ran nearly a whole season of Stage Rally here in OR without so much as a single issue with my MKII Golf 8V. Other then changing the oil and tightening the alternator mounting bolt it was flawless, and Jeep could have learned a few things about Uni-body construction from VW when they were making the XJ/ZJ.

There are reliability issues with certain models and certain years but not any worse then the average TSB riddled GM product, or any other car company for that matter.

Yes, of these two the 200-series Toyota is the better choice...The Toureg is an electrical reliability nightmare sadly (although the chassis/lockers and mechanicals are as stout as) but VW's in general are really amazingly good cars.

Edit: Oh and on a weird note... VW actually SOLD Toyota Hiluxes in the EU for years when the stigma of buying a Japanese vehicle was so high that Toyota couldn't sell their trucks in places like Germany and surrounding areas. Strange but true...
vw-tarompsams108342.jpg

nasko

Adventurer
4Rescue, I totally agree with you. On another note if I were buying a new truck I would not buy a 200, I would not buy a Toureg either when I think of it. IMO both of them are more than what I am willing to pay for a car. If I were to buy now I would be looking more into the 4Runner/Tacoma/Xterra/Frontier/Rubicon direction and the money saved would be spent on adventures/trips/memories. Obviously that's just my opinion. Maybe because I look at cars/trucks as tools. Tools that get groceries, get me camping, fishing, hunting, MTB, etc. What I need in the tool is to be reliable,efficient, capable, I do not care about the brand and/or the status that it or its brand brings. Probably against the grain here on expo, but that's who I am.
That being said, I really wish VW would bring their Amarok up here in Canada. As the gas price right now is ~$1.35/1.40 per litre it would be great to have a small diesel truck. Cheers

Last edited:

doug720

Expedition Leader
I own an older VW Thing and a 1985 LandCruiser, nothing else from these two manufacturers currently, so my opinion is dated. But, my neighbor owns likely one the most respected independent VW repair shops in SoCal and a separate general import repair shop. We discussed this last night at dinner.

He thinks all cars have issues, but, VW's tend to have more and ones that are difficult and expensive to fix. In his experience, VW's have much higher issues with electrical systems than Japanese vehicles but only marginally higher than other Euro brands. He thinks all the Euro's have complicated electronics with sub par life spans.

In the Toureg v LandCruiser, he laughed and said the Toureg's have poor reliability in general, are nice to drive as long as your idea of off-road is a dirt road. His opinion of the LandCruiser is better reliability overall, particularly the electrics, and much better off road.

A telling sign, he owns Infinity's and Subaru's!

This is worth what you paid for it!

Enjoy what ever you buy

Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94