200 Series questions-~Touareg tdi

CYK

Adventurer
Can't believe this is even being debated.

It's like comparing Jamal Crawford to Michael Jordan. One can show flashes of brilliance in 1 percent of playing time, the other greatness for the ages.

Vw tour? Jokes.

Elsie3

I have been running LCs since 1975. I like them. I find Touareg a three time winner at Paris-Dakar. LC zero. Stock trucks? Of course not. Neither were last year's LC200s. Dakar is no joke. The Touareg is no joke either.

CYK

Adventurer
Then put money where mouth is and buy one or several. If you're stupid you'd actually do it. Look at the depreciation on those pos vans. Nobody wants them.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Then put money where mouth is and buy one or several. If you're stupid you'd actually do it. Look at the depreciation on those pos vans. Nobody wants them.

FYI, introducing reality: Those "POS" vans outsell the LC by more than 3x every year since 2002. Guess all those people didn't "want them"....

The LC is a great vehicle, but I think "you're stupid" if you can only see a world where once or two types of vehicles makes sense. Not everyone wants something as large or fuel consuming as the LC (I do, but that's just me).

MexicoEcoResort

MexicoEcoResort
Let me weigh in on this: I have had many LandCruisers, FJ80's,FJZ100 series, no 200 series, but a 2010 Touareg 2 with 3 liter Turbo Diesel and doubled my money on it when VW bought it back in the class action suit. Then six months after I got $30k (on my $15k then driven two years adding 60k miles) I get a check from Bosch for $1500 out of the blue.
Now I used part of that windfall to get a mint Lexus SC430 for perfect sunny days between 65-83 F. And a Mercedes Benz GL350 with Bluetec 3 liter Turbo diesel (POCrap in my 18 month assessment) and a 2019 Hilux Diesel quad cab 4 x 4. So now I am getting the most rare Touareg 2, another 2010 with auto leveling air suspension that raises clearance by 5.5 more inches and two factory lockers. Only about 1-2% of the 2010 models had this on the TDi versions and only in 2010 from what I have seen in North America.
Getting rid of the MB for the Touareg 2 was a no brainer to me, but it sounds like there are those that think I am brain dead to buy a Touareg because of reliability issues and resale values. Well, no car/vehicle is perfect, but you can trust Toyota for electrical for decades at least. It is the Total Package that makes the Treg 2 with TDi an all-time favorite of this car junkie with lots of cars owned over the years. I LOVE to drive. My 100 series was great as long as someone else was paying for the petrol Even then in West Texas I have gone through some serious anxiety to see if we could keep the under-powered beast fed often enough at maybe 14 mpg going downhill with a tailwind of 30 knots.
The Touareg 2 (my 2010 TDi) nearly had the interior cargo capacity of my Suburban, drove on the twisty roads like my best BMW, could haul heavy trailers like by biggest pickup trucks, and got fuel economy well North of 30 mpg when not ********************** or a trailer. Getting 40 mpg's is even possible if you really try. The LC 200 may never see half that economy.
I LOVE my Toyota 4D4 engine in my Hilux, but I do not think it is superior to the VW 1.9 liter TDi in our Sportswagen. Both of these engines are like Toyotas 22R-E, 2JZ-GTE, and last but not least, the incredibly reliable B-series of diesel engines. While not the most powerful engines Toyota ever offered, the 2B and 3B are known to last half a million miles. Found mostly on Land Cruisers, 2B and 3B engines offer surprisingly good fuel economy even by today’s standards. 30 mpg is not unheard of, even in the brick-like LandCruiser.
Every company makes winners and losers. The Touareg 2 and Amarok in the 3.0 liter TDi are way up on my list of winners for VW, while the Supra, FJ62, BJ80 and 100 series are among my favorites in Toyota and the Lexus lineup. The (3UZFE) 4.3 VVT-i engine in the SC430 is velvety smooth. They all have some great ones and some not so great.
To blatantly call people idiots for buying a Touareg is childish and ignorant. I am a LC fanatic and have had many, and someday may get a 200 series, hopefully with a diesel, someday. But for now I have the next best thing, a 2010 VW Touareg 2 with air suspension and two e-lockers, and it is being delivered for $12k with a 48 month, 48,000 mile warranty on the drivetrain. Couldn't get that great a deal on a comparable 100 series, oops, they never made one with these features, not available in the US nor Canada, so there is that.

Thanks for letting me chime in on an interesting discussion.

Last edited:

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Yes! Let's bring this thread back from the dead! I'm looking at some Touaregs and Q7s right now. Targeting 2008 to 2010 for the reasons above. They are rare but we do see them for under 13k with under 100k on the ticker around my hood and that's just obscene. Willing to go to 130-150k miles then they can be had for 7k. Even more obscene for what you get. I'm sure they need some love but they all do. ALL. Toyotas are great but they rarely if ever change their engine packages or designs. I frankly think they are really ugly, dated and long in the tooth across the platform. They lag by years in that category and the used market is the worst value in the business. Anyhoo I want a 11k SUV I can run shuttles with in Southern Utah and the Wyoming etc. and then haul ass back home. Toureg/Q7/Cayanne are just now becoming considered by many to be almost ideal mix of goodies depending on the year (see E Motion). I loved the last V6 TDI Touareg I drove. As in fell in love. And I'm no big VW fan and hard to impress. The 3.0 TDI is now legendary (and infamous at this point). Great proven reliability, corporate shenanigans aside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior