$200 5KW Portable Diesel Air Heater

Heavyopp

Observer
A proper overland rig should burn diesel anyway. :p

My heater should arrive this Friday, and I'll be putting something together very similar to the OP. I think that I'm going to drop the fuel line into the jerry can already on the bumper rather than use the supplied tank. I may use that if I ever get my 4Runner campaign-ready.

What heater did you end up buying — did you find a version 2?

Heavyopp

Observer
I think so. There’s an awful lotta characters in these listings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m definitely curious to see what you end up receiving

You think the eBay listings are confusing, try searching alibaba for them

If you do get a version 2 could you point me to the eBay listing? I think I want to pick one up to play with too.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida

Josh41

Adventurer
Ordered from Amazon today. Delivery between Jan 4 and 9. I'll post up as we set it up for our Four Wheel Camper Fleet shell. Thinking I'll do the box thing like the OP.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kirby McRae

If it's aluminum, especially white or blue, it's a version 2. Some have the blue lcd controller and others have a rotary controller - I'd get the lcd as it has automatic altitude fuel adjustment while the rotary control doesn't. A couple things to remember when installing them. They don't like air in the fuel lines so if you are going to use a jerry can with a hose through the lid, consider adding a valve to prevent the diesel in the fuel line from draining. Also make sure they get enough power, most reliability issues come from not enough volts to the glow plug. Run bigger wires than the factory wire loom especially if the heater will be located very far from the battery. Somebody else would know more about the feasibility of this than I do, but it might be worth thinking about using a boost converter to get up to 14 or so volts even when the vehicle is off.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I have noticed that many of these units cut corners on the wire gauges. So replacing the factory harness with heavier wire (for the main supply) may be called for. You want to see at least 11V at the control board during the glow plug cycle.

aaen

Adventurer
These are just more and more tempting every time i read up on them and also when my buddy heater is a 30 min fight to get it to stay on.

I could probably have one ordered and dropped at a local post office for pick up/install here shortly. Hmm.

chet6.7

Explorer
I am very interested to see what you guys do.Can this unit survive under the bed or does it have to be protected from the elements.... enclosed in a box or inside taking up camper space?
Thanks.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I started my project today since I was the only one at work. Ran to Home Depot, and picked up this metal toolbox for $20 and some other do dads that I don’t think I’m going to be able to use.
Off to a good start, I went home at lunchtime. If I’m motivated, I’ll go in and do more over the weekend.

7d83a17681f14d9d6397dc2c71cc74bc.jpg

Reactions: plh

luthj

Engineer In Residence
FYI, on positioning the heaters. The glow plug must face upwards So one of the sides is a no-go. The other should be fine. If you pop the cover off it should be obvious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles