20 Rivers to Cross, A Trip Through the Oregon Coastal Mountains

This trip started in 2018 when I was wondering if there was a north south backcountry route through the Oregon coastal mountains from the Columbia River to the California Border. I started researching maps and the web to see if it was possible. A route slowly appeared that ran through a mix of public and private land.. The route travels through active logging areas where a CB radio is required to monitor the log truck operations. Remember that logging operations have the right of way. There are several gates that were open to the private land areas with signs that they could be closed and locked at anytime. I hope you enjoy the trip.

You can read about more of our adventure and see photos of our trips on our travel blog.

You can support the channel by donating via PayPal.

You can also support the production of more remote travel videos by becoming a member of my Patreon team.

Forest waterfall
20 rivers-00024.jpg

Typical forest road
20 rivers-00034.jpg

Sweet Creek
20 rivers-00037.jpg

Nehalem River
20 rivers-00363.jpg

Up on top
20 rivers-00366.jpg

Columbia Lily
20 rivers-00369.jpg

The thimble berries were ripe and plentiful
20 rivers-00397.jpg

The Chetco River
20 rivers-00426.jpg

On the Oregon California border at the end of the April scouting trip
20 rivers-5466.jpg

Camping in the tall firs
20 rivers-5671.jpg

Episode 2 of our trip through the Oregon Coastal Mountains is now up on YouTube. In this episode we will start from a hunters camp near the Trask river and continue south through the coastal mountains on our way to the California Border. Along the way we will see a black bear, cross 12 rivers, and enjoy some beautiful views.

You can read about more of our adventure and see photos of our trips on our travel blog.

You can support the production of more remote travel videos by becoming a member of my Patreon team.

The third and final episode of our trip through the Oregon Coastal Mountains is up on YouTube. In this episode we travel from our camp in the mountains to the Oregon California border. I hope you enjoy the trip. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to watch it.

You can support the production of more remote travel videos by becoming a member of my Patreon team.

20 Rivers to Cross, A trip through the Oregon Coastal Mountains Episode 3

billiebob

This trip started in 2018 when I was wondering if there was a north south backcountry route through the Oregon coastal mountains from the Columbia River to the California Border. I started researching maps and the web to see if it was possible. A route slowly appeared that ran through a mix of public and private land.. The route travels through active logging areas where a CB radio is required to monitor the log truck operations. Remember that logging operations have the right of way. There are several gates that were open to the private land areas with signs that they could be closed and locked at anytime. I hope you enjoy the trip.

You can also support the production of more remote travel videos by becoming a member of my Patreon team.

Forest waterfall
View attachment 686190

Typical forest road
View attachment 686191

Sweet Creek
View attachment 686192

Nehalem River
View attachment 686193

Up on top
View attachment 686194

Columbia Lily
View attachment 686195

The thimble berries were ripe and plentiful
View attachment 686196

The Chetco River
View attachment 686197

On the Oregon California border at the end of the April scouting trip
View attachment 686198

Camping in the tall firs
View attachment 686199
THIS >>>>>

Is a bucket list trip.
Many thanks for giving a dreamer a new item for the bucket.... :love::love:

Many say the Oregon coast is a desolate place not made for vacations....
I agree, it is made for adventure.

Your reference to the CB tho...... in BC the CB is not the one loggers use, you need VHF here....
Is CB the go to in Oregon???

20 River to Cross..... GREAT TITLE !!!!!

Last edited:
Glad I could add to your list. CB is the standard for the logging operations in OR and WA. Not sure about other states. Overlanders use a mix of CB, GRMS, and HAM.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Yep CB is essential on busy logging roads. There will be a spray painted "CBXX", where xx is the channel number when you turn off the main two lane road onto the forest service road. There should also be spray painted mile markers, put your CB on the channel designated and listen for the trucks announcing they're coming out loaded at x mile or coming in empty at x mile. This gives you a chance to pull over at a wide spot and wait for oncoming traffic to pass. You should announce yourself as a pickup. The loaded logging truck always has the right of way, doesn't matter which way on a hill you meet and a empty logging truck has the right of way over a smaller vehicle.

Have seen the painted signs although am seeing more and more of these type. They are much easier to see and read. They list the name of the logging tract, mile number and CB channel.
Logging sign.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier