2 years in our 1962 Land Rover

dmack

After years of planning, we are officially one month into our 2+ year adventure. The general plan is to head northwest until the cold weather chases us south, most likely into Baja and perhaps points further south. We really don' t have a plan, we both left jobs where planning was an everyday task, we just want to see where the road takes us.

We are travelling in our 1962 Land Rover series 2A. We designed and sewed a rooftop tent, installed drawers and cabinets, added a solar system with dual batteries, a fridge, etc. etc. etc. We have travelled 3,000 miles to date and haven't hit a highway, yet.

We are blogging our adventure if you would like to follow along: www.mackenziesontheroad.com.

dmack

Thanks, we have had the Rover for 25 years! When we first started dreaming of a trip like this we were going to take our BMW's or our DRZ's; now the thought of ground tenting every night doesn't seem as fun!

Foy

Explorer
Terrific blog! Love the elderly LR!

I've been through Valentine, NE and Newcastle, WY in recent years and hopefully you'll be headed for western Montana soon.

And that fuel system problem is a classic vapor lock, it seems. Hoping the tin can insulation remedied it. An even simpler "plank" of many layers of aluminum foil cured my old Wagoneer of vapor lock.

Foy

the deputy

Enjoying the blog and your adventure. Love the minimalist approach, very refreshing...and one personally appreciated.

Also, agree wholeheartedly with the fear-factor becoming unwarrentedly engrained in America culture. Sad state of affairs, for sure.

Brian.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Oh yes. I'll be reading up on this.

Can you tell me more about your roof top camping setup? I'm getting antsy to change out the roof on my 109. Was originally thinking dormobile style but That flippac-style setup is cool as well.

dmack

Terrific blog! Love the elderly LR!

I've been through Valentine, NE and Newcastle, WY in recent years and hopefully you'll be headed for western Montana soon.

And that fuel system problem is a classic vapor lock, it seems. Hoping the tin can insulation remedied it. An even simpler "plank" of many layers of aluminum foil cured my old Wagoneer of vapor lock.

Foy
I am writing up a blog on the rev 2 of the vapor lock! We are within touching distance of the mountains

dmack

Oh yes. I'll be reading up on this.

Can you tell me more about your roof top camping setup? I'm getting antsy to change out the roof on my 109. Was originally thinking dormobile style but That flippac-style setup is cool as well.
We made the RTT. I designed it to be able to use the rear kitchen cabinets to be the stairs to access the tent without an external ladder. So far the only leaks have been when the tent has been closed! I'm not familiar with flip pack, but i'll check it out.

I removed the safari top from the side panels and built a replacement system that houses the tent, sleeping pads, and some storage. The amazing thing is that the entire tent assembly weighs less than the safari top with the dual skin.

The "roof" is 2 inch blue board insulation panels ripped into 4 inch wide 7 ft long strips. Between each strip is sandwiched a strip of 32" plywood for ridigity. Then 6oz glass and epoxyed a few layers to create the rigid roof/sleping platform.

I can shoot some pics if you want

D

Foy

Explorer
Great stuff on the marine fuel vapor blower. Hope it's the longer-term VL solution.

Very much enjoying the blog.

Foy

ShearPin

Adventurer
Inspiring travel stories from the road in a Series Land Rover - subscribed as well...

Do you have an instagram account?

Best of luck...

Henry

dmack

Inspiring travel stories from the road in a Series Land Rover - subscribed as well...

Do you have an instagram account?

Best of luck...

Henry
Hi Henry
Sorry for the late reply. We just returned from Tuk on the Demster Highway. We do not have instagram as of yet. I checked out your site; I may hit you up for some advice on Baja

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles