2-Way 12v Remote

Douglas S.

Adventurer
Hi,

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive way to activate my Webasto from inside my house or office. I've seen 12v remote kits on Amazon that are reasonable priced, but I haven't been able to locate anything that will actually tell me that the relay on the vehicle has been activated. I've seen the kits that Webasto makes to activate the heaters remotely, but they are out of my price range.

Thanks,
Doug

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I thought about this for my Ford. My plan (should I ever implement it) is to wire one of my exterior clearance lights into the same circuit so that it will light when the Webasto is running. This means of course that I would have to be within sight of the truck to tell if it were running, but I had mostly designed this to be used at home (where I could look out the window and see the light on).

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I have a black belt in the 12V Arts but I'm not sure what a Webasto is... Code for sunroof? If so, you can use a window roll up module to control open and close and a keyless entry module. If you already have an aftermarket alarm, it's easy to add the module. I'm not sure how heaters figure into a sunroof but remote start modules have outputs that activate seat heaters if that's what you mean.

Douglas S.

Adventurer
I have a black belt in the 12V Arts but I'm not sure what a Webasto is... Code for sunroof? If so, you can use a window roll up module to control open and close and a keyless entry module. If you already have an aftermarket alarm, it's easy to add the module. I'm not sure how heaters figure into a sunroof but remote start modules have outputs that activate seat heaters if that's what you mean.

It's a diesel fired coolant heater. Simple on/off switch to operate at this point. I don't have an alarm system/remote start/keyless entry and I don't really have any use for one at this point.

Thanks,
Doug

ExpoMike

A better alarm system typically will have multiple channels that can be used for different circuits. I had one on an old truck that I could remote start, roll the windows up and down, lock/unlock the doors, turn on the headlights, turn on the radio, etc., plus it protected the vehicle. Don't think of it as an "alarm system" but a remote fuction system.

Douglas S.

Adventurer
A better alarm system typically will have multiple channels that can be used for different circuits. I had one on an old truck that I could remote start, roll the windows up and down, lock/unlock the doors, turn on the headlights, turn on the radio, etc., plus it protected the vehicle. Don't think of it as an "alarm system" but a remote fuction system.

Hmmmn...let the research begin! :coffee:

lowenbrau

Explorer
I don't know about the two-way function but I once bought a remote controlled relay with a key fob that was intended for turning fog or running lights on and off. I bought it to use with my Webasto as well but never got around to installing it. Cost was about $25 at Princess Auto.

I think Transientmechanic is right on the money with simply wiring a marker light as an indicator.

Douglas S.

Adventurer
I don't know about the two-way function but I once bought a remote controlled relay with a key fob that was intended for turning fog or running lights on and off. I bought it to use with my Webasto as well but never got around to installing it. Cost was about $25 at Princess Auto.

I think Transientmechanic is right on the money with simply wiring a marker light as an indicator.

I would use a marker light, but I can't see my truck from my office building. I also don't think the range on the Princess Auto units would be enough. Those would be perfect it you just wanted to start it up in your driveway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94