2 spare tires?

alanymarce

3 extra days in Sucre, great! 3 days in Uyuni, not so much.
Yes I agree with you, however there's always interest anywhere. Walk out to the island and back perhaps? Stargazing? Just relax? Go out with a jug of Margaritas and some glasses and take advantage of the salar to salt the rims?

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Story time: Back in 2013 I was on a trip with a group (from this board) and we did have one guy get 2 flats on the same trip. Actually, he didn't just get 2 "flats", on two separate occasions 4 days apart, the tires actually ripped to shreds on the sidewall while driving at a moderate pace (25 - 30 MPH) on a graded dirt road. I can't remember if he was running LT or P rated tires but it was a real eye opener. BTW the tires were Hankook Dynapros which is why I will never consider that tire again (I actually had a set on an old 4runner years ago.)

The biggest problem he had was that we were in a very remote part of Nevada. Three days after the first blowout, we got to Tonopah, NV. He went to a local tire shop to see if he could get a replacement tire and they wanted something like $300 or $400 for one tire - something crazy. So he elected to wait and then the next day another tire shredded itself. So now he had no spare. Fortunately someone else on the trip had the same model of truck and loaned him a spare tire and he took off to the nearest town (Bishop, CA) which was a couple of hours away and had 4 new tires put on there.

Anyway - somebody here mentioned carrying a spare TIRE but not a spare WHEEL. Had this guy had a spare TIRE he likely could have had a local tire shop change the tire out for $50 - $75 while he waited. But if they have to SELL you a tire, you're going to pay top dollar if they even have your size, and if they don't it will likely be at least a day or two before they can get one from a warehouse. So in that circumstance, it might actually be prudent to carry a second spare tire only.

i think you’re referring to this, I posted the story from Wayalife a couple of times in different tire threads. Four flats, one trip, same Jeep.1621049586090.jpeg

Last edited:

Grassland

This makes me worry with my 34x10.5R17. that's one tire made in that size that I know of, tho it measures like a 33
I also like 255/80R17. I think there are three tires available in that size.
Probably not good tires sizes in NA nevermind out of continent.

My matching spare has been down once to check it. It's never been needed yet.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
As a side note: What tools do you need to mount a tire in the wild? Assuming the blown tire is trashed I suppose you could just cut it off the rim but then how do you mount the new tire to the rim?

First, you need to know how to “break the bead”. I’d say very few people here do, let alone have what they need to do it, Second, you need a pair of tire spoons and a tire hammer to separate the tire from the wheel one bead at a time. How do you mount it? Tire lube and spoons for the second bead, with practice and experience you can get the first on without tools. Then there’s the whole seating the beads and getting enough air in to lock them without it escaping around the rim. It’s a lot of fun, at 2:00PM, in the desert, in the sun. Yep, loads of fun.

pith helmet

First, you need to know how to “break the bead”. I’d say very few people here do, let alone have what they need to do it, Second, you need a pair of tire spoons and a tire hammer to separate the tire from the wheel one bead at a time. How do you mount it? Tire lube and spoons for the second bead, with practice and experience you can get the first on without tools. Then there’s the whole seating the beads and getting enough air in to lock them without it escaping around the rim. It’s a lot of fun, at 2:00PM, in the desert, in the sun. Yep, loads of fun.

You get it broken and I’ll help you get it seated!
D7C07560-05FF-4D58-BB77-DA0F34E7C3C3.jpegI cF7DD5CE1-DA37-4086-9FA7-0ECFAAD929AE.jpeg

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Regarding airing down....some time back one of the tire companies had a video out showing what happens when you drive over a sharp object with the tire at full pressure, versus aired down. The aired down tire just deformed around that sharp object but remained undamaged; the sharp object went right through the tire that was not aired down.

I carry 2 spares with my 4x4 van - mainly because I can. The stock size spare tire fits up under the van in the space designed for it by Ford. The tires the van wears will not fit in that space, so the spare that is the same size as the tires on the van is on a carrier on the bumper.

That being said, I also have 3 other vehicles I take off highway all the time (not much pavement where I live). Each of my vehicles carries a top of the line tire repair kit in it, with patches and plugs and the tools needed to effect the repair, plus an air compressor. Unlike others on here who have never had a flat, I've had many thanks to dirt roads traveled at high speeds. Lots of experience in fixing flats...and changing tires. Unfortunately, a rock break through the tread of the tire means a new tire.

old .45

Observer
Story time: Back in 2013 I was on a trip with a group (from this board) and we did have one guy get 2 flats on the same trip. Actually, he didn't just get 2 "flats", on two separate occasions 4 days apart, the tires actually ripped to shreds on the sidewall while driving at a moderate pace (25 - 30 MPH) on a graded dirt road. I can't remember if he was running LT or P rated tires but it was a real eye opener. BTW the tires were Hankook Dynapros which is why I will never consider that tire again (I actually had a set on an old 4runner years ago.)

The biggest problem he had was that we were in a very remote part of Nevada. Three days after the first blowout, we got to Tonopah, NV. He went to a local tire shop to see if he could get a replacement tire and they wanted something like $300 or $400 for one tire - something crazy. So he elected to wait and then the next day another tire shredded itself. So now he had no spare. Fortunately someone else on the trip had the same model of truck and loaned him a spare tire and he took off to the nearest town (Bishop, CA) which was a couple of hours away and had 4 new tires put on there.

Anyway - somebody here mentioned carrying a spare TIRE but not a spare WHEEL. Had this guy had a spare TIRE he likely could have had a local tire shop change the tire out for $50 - $75 while he waited. But if they have to SELL you a tire, you're going to pay top dollar if they even have your size, and if they don't it will likely be at least a day or two before they can get one from a warehouse. So in that circumstance, it might actually be prudent to carry a second spare tire only.

old .45

Observer
Mmmmmm, I remember that trip, for it was my truck, help from good friend's at that time got me out of the fix, now when I go mostly alone it is with 2 spares and now I have 2020 Ranger and love it!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Mmmmmm, I remember that trip, for it was my truck, help from good friend's at that time got me out of the fix, now when I go mostly alone it is with 2 spares and now I have 2020 Ranger and love it!

You didn't like the F-150?

Honestly, I can see the appeal. If I didn't have to pull a trailer I'd seriously consider the new Ranger. But between our 4,000lb trailer and all the crap we carry, I need the F-150.

billiebob

Taking the tire off the rim is pretty easy with a heavy hammer and a big box end / combination wrench. It just takes perseverance. And reverse the procedure to mount a new tire. But if you are overlanding in a third world country, India, Africa, tire mechanics are everywhere. This guy was doing a brake job on the road.

DSC_0944_2.jpg

billiebob

A few posts make me think some of us never rotate the spare in and the 2006 TJR I just bought is one of those. The spare after sitting in the sun for 15 years still has all the little knobbies on the tread.

But more to the point with newer 4x4s with traction control and brake differential systems is the fact ALL tires need to be the exact same diameter. Just uneven wear can cause the new computer controlled digital brake differential systems to apply a brake on the tire/s rotating marginally faster. .... one more reason I love older vehicles.

But do a 5 tire rotation, or 6 if you carry 2 spares regularly.

85_Ranger4x4

A few posts make me think some of us never rotate the spare in and the 2006 TJR I just bought is one of those. The spare after sitting in the sun for 15 years still has all the little knobbies on the tread.

But more to the point with newer 4x4s with traction control and brake differential systems is the fact ALL tires need to be the exact same diameter. Just uneven wear can cause the new computer controlled digital brake differential systems to apply a brake on the tire/s rotating marginally faster. .... one more reason I love older vehicles.

But do a 5 tire rotation, or 6 if you carry 2 spares regularly.

I do my spare shoppin at the JY...

If I could ever find another sawblade rim to match my main 4 I would go to a 5 tire rotation. It really helps the tire wear rate when you can cycle even one more tire into the mix.

old .45

Observer
Martin,I loved the 150 however it had alot of miles on it and I could not pass up a great deal on a 2020 black (of course) STX club cab. When things calm down next year I hope it will take me to Alaska and up to the Arctic circle....... yes.....with 2 spares... Firestone AT"s as I will be going solo. As with all my previous trucks no wild mods only a few to enhance reliability, good recovery kit....etc. Cheers!

D

Deleted member 9101

Well....it depends on how you look at it. A spare can be had cheaply and is good for your peace of mind.

On the other hand they are heavy and take up quite a bit of space.

I prefer a plug kit and compressor, but my truck doesn't go beyond gravel roads, so the chances of me wrecking two tires is pretty slim.

billiebob

Got it, bad Overlander®. So am I to wait for road side assistance? Never thought my life would be in peril walking a couple of miles to find 4 bars of cell signal. But then again I forget, we're thinking about being stuck in Botswana with a sat phone at hand not about driving trails in southern California.
a wee bit nieve eh
better bet, tell someone where you are going so they can come find you

good luck finding that cell signal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles