2 piece shotgun

FettsWay

Adventurer
OK. So I saw the movie "Rolling Thunder" on TV the other night. And Tommy Lee Jones had a 12 gauge shotgun that broke down in the middle into two pieces. I asked a local gun store about them and they were kinda clueless. I don't even know if they are legal. Just curious about them and they peaked my interest. I did some google searches but nothing came up, is there an industry standard term for these types?

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I haven't seen the movie, but what you're describing is a 'break-open' shot gun.

These are usually single barrel, or double barrel.

Double barrels come in side x side, or over/under configurations.

In normal use, they only 'break open', to load and extract shells.

But if you remove the fore grip, they will break down into 2 parts (plus the fore grip)

Some fore grips are held on with a bolt, and some are released with a simple lever.

Many nicer shotguns come with multiple barrel choices.

Look at item 1003. It has 2 sets of barrels.

ABA.jpg

terrymo

Google "Winchester 1897 riot shotgun" or "Winchester 1897 trench shotgun".
I have not seen the movie but this may be similar to what you are describing.

FettsWay

Adventurer
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd4dW6sbplA"]YouTube- ‪Rolling Thunder (1977)‬‎[/ame]

Sorry, but I don't think either of these two post know what I am describing, maybe I am wrong.

start watching above video at 1:55 to 2:02 and see Tommy Lee Jones break apart this shotgun.

I think this will help explain what gun I am asking about.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I think this will help explain what gun I am asking about.

That's a pump shotgun. I don't recall ever seeing a breakdown pump action like that in a shotgun. I have seen some older pump action .22 rifles that did.

I'll have to do some searching, that looks really cool!

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I found a pic!!! No info yet, but I just started digging.:coffeedrink: (info below)

breakdownshotgun.jpg

ETA:
This is a 12ga. Winchester Model 97 made in 1955. It was modified by a previous owner (I got it about 12 years ago) for cowboy action shooting, so the barrel was cut down (18.25") and he even installed a screw-in modified choke. It is tight and shoots like a dream. I've used this for pheasants as well as cowboy shooting competition. This would be my clear choice for a take-down, packable do-anything survival firearm.

There ya go, it may be a Win. Mod '97. It appears the only mod made to this gun (in pic) is the barrel being shortened.

I didn't get a good clear look at the one in the movie clip, but they're close.

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Guns that split into two (or more) pieces for easy transport are usually called "Take-down" guns. Lever guns also could be had with this feature. Try using the 'take-down' term and see if you local shop doesn't suddenly understand what you're asking for.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Guns that split into two (or more) pieces for easy transport are usually called "Take-down" guns. Lever guns also could be had with this feature. Try using the 'take-down' term and see if you local shop doesn't suddenly understand what you're asking for.

DOH!! I knew that, but had 'Break Down' stuck in my head:snorkel:

Thanks ntsqd!:coffeedrink:

Abel Villesca

Explorer
I found a pic!!! No info yet, but I just started digging.:coffeedrink: (info below)

breakdownshotgun.jpg

ETA:

There ya go, it may be a Win. Mod '97. It appears the only mod made to this gun (in pic) is the barrel being shortened.

I didn't get a good clear look at the one in the movie clip, but they're close.

That is definitely an 1897. I love mine. Note the hammer on the stock end of the gun. It's a nifty shotgun with a trigger disconnector that will fire every time you work the slide as long as you hold the trigger back. In WWII it was the "trench sweeper".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles