2 or 4 qt. Dutch Oven?

wyomingben

I have a $50 gift certificate for REI. After seaching the site for everything I might want, most everything could be found elsewhere cheaper, way cheaper. One thing I've wanted was a dutch oven, their prices are pretty close to everyone else. So my question is, should I get the 2 qt. or 4 qt. ? Most of my camping is 2 Adults and 1 kid.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Get the 4 qt. You can never have too much stew or cobbler - but it sucks to have not enough. :D

dwatsonkc

Stilwell, KS
I have a 6",8",10",12",14". Mostly Lodge. I cook mostly for 2 people and a 2yr old.

The one I pull out of my dutch oven box is the cheapest 10" Cabela's brand one.... I use the 8" next as side dish.

I have to downsize as 12" is the standard.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I use the padded DO zippered nylon bags and they do help to keep everything else from getting **************** in transit :)

But don't think you need it to protect the cast iron anything ;)

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I use the green nylon zipper storage bags from Cabelas for my dutch ovens and they are great, real sturdy and affordable. I did learn from experience though to keep them far from your fire or else stray embers will burn little holes in them.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Oven size really comes down to what size group you will be cooking for. If you are going to be very much cooking for 2-4 people the 8" size will be handy. You can scale down a cobbler recipe for an 8" oven and it will be a fine serving size for 4, and probably too much for 2 people. Of course, I'm assuming you are planning to serve the cobbler accompanied with ice cream - you do have a freezer right?

I also have a 10" oven. Most recipes sized for the 10" oven make a little too much food for 4, and are about right for 6 people, especially if it's being served with other side dishes. For example, I can make a mountain man breakfast in my 10" oven and feed 6 with leftovers.

I haven't gotten into roasts and such in a dutch oven as I usually don't take that much time in camp for cooking. As others have suggested the larger oven (probably 12" deep) would be best for that type of cooking.

I have the nylon zippered bags that Lodge sells for each of my ovens. I like them just as a convenient way to transport the oven while keeping it clean, and once it's been used to keep the ash and soot deposits on the outside of the oven off the rest of my gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online