2 Kayaks on a 4th gen 4runner: Best way to carry?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So the wife and I decided we wanted to try kayaking. She's a fisherman so we got a couple of sit-on-top kayaks. We'll only be using them on calm water (lakes, ponds, most likely not any "running" rivers.) Kayaks are (I think) 9' or 10' models.

What's the best way to carry 2 kayaks on a 4th gen (2007) 4runner? We have one set of J-carriers, but I'm not thrilled about having a kayak up at a 45 degree angle like that - I'd rather carry them flat. Has anyone carried 2 kayaks flat on a 4th gen 4runner or similar sized vehicle? What kind of rack did you use?

Thanks in advance!

motochain

Wanderer
We actually used the saddle style carrier for 2 kayaks on our 4-runner. A 14' and a 13'. I know you said your not thrilled about that, but it worked great for us, never had any issues.

Found a picture from the way we carried them home when we first got them.

ry%3D400

I'll see if I can find one with them mounted to the saddles.

Last edited:

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Now I dont have a 4runner (yet) but I can tell you that using the j carriers are much easier and much faster than trying to tie them down on top of the roof. Even if you have some type of roof rack its difficult because you have to strap it down in front of the kayak seat, behind the keyak seat and then you have to get a tie down for the bow and stern to reduce it from moving side to side. With the J carriers all you have to do is throw it up there and strap them down with the J carrier straps and you're good to go.

Awesome snowy kayak pic BTW

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
We actually used the saddle style carrier for 2 kayaks on our 4-runner. A 14' and a 13'. I know you said your not thrilled about that, but it worked great for us, never had any issues.

Found a picture from the way we carried them home when we first got them.

ry%3D400

I'll see if I can find one with them mounted to the saddles.

Actually, that's how I'd like to carry them. What I'm trying to avoid is having both kayaks sitting up at a 45 degree angle on J-shaped cradles.

That looks like you have a Yakima rack with bars that extend past the factory roof rails, is that right? I'm assuming the factory crossbars are too narrow to get two kayaks side-by-side?

motochain

Wanderer
Actually, that's how I'd like to carry them. What I'm trying to avoid is having both kayaks sitting up at a 45 degree angle on J-shaped cradles.

That looks like you have a Yakima rack with bars that extend past the factory roof rails, is that right? I'm assuming the factory crossbars are too narrow to get two kayaks side-by-side?

This was actually with the factory rails and crossbars, no aftermarket parts. It worked, it was just more time consuming to get them on and off vs. the saddles.

I will say with the kayaks sitting in the saddles, they act like sails when you get a cross wind. We went through a pretty good wind storm with them mounted in the saddles and it was nerve-racking... BUT.... They never came off...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
This was actually with the factory rails and crossbars, no aftermarket parts. It worked, it was just more time consuming to get them on and off vs. the saddles.

I will say with the kayaks sitting in the saddles, they act like sails when you get a cross wind. We went through a pretty good wind storm with them mounted in the saddles and it was nerve-racking... BUT.... They never came off...

By any chance do you have any close-up pictures? I'd be interested in seeing how you did that.

Having said that, I haven't measured our kayaks but they're pretty wide - I doubt we could get 2 of them side-by-side on the factory crossbars. I do have a set of Yakima crossbars so if I get the "lowrider" mounts to attach them to the factory rails, I could probably get them Side-by-side.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
We use a set of Yakima Railgrabbers on the factory side rails and 58" load bars on the 4Runner and two 'yaks fit fine. Here's a pic..

IMGP0072.jpg

Boats are a Native Ultimate 12 which is on the wide side for a 'yak and a Necky Sport 12 which is about average in width.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
We use a set of Yakima Railgrabbers on the factory side rails and 58" load bars on the 4Runner and two 'yaks fit fine. Here's a pic..

View attachment 225951

Boats are a Native Ultimate 12 which is on the wide side for a 'yak and a Necky Sport 12 which is about average in width.

So your kayaks are not sitting in cradles, just sitting flat on the bar? Do you have any sort of padding underneath them to keep from damaging or deforming the plastic? Our kayaks are sit-on-top models, with a pretty flat deck, so I wonder if we may be able to do something similar - certainly it would save us a few hundred bucks to not have to buy "cradles" for the kayaks and just strap them flat on the bars.

I can't remember how wide my Yakima bars are. I want to say 58" but I'm not 100% sure. Just need to get the grabbers (I thought they were called "Lowriders?")

Do you run straps to the bow/stern or just across the beam? And I'm assuming each kayak gets its own straps?

Thanks for all the help! I've got just 2 weeks to get this figured out. We're taking the kayaks and our teardrop trailer "Bubbles" down to a reservoir in SE Colorado for Memorial Day weekend.

motochain

Wanderer
By any chance do you have any close-up pictures? I'd be interested in seeing how you did that.

Having said that, I haven't measured our kayaks but they're pretty wide - I doubt we could get 2 of them side-by-side on the factory crossbars. I do have a set of Yakima crossbars so if I get the "lowrider" mounts to attach them to the factory rails, I could probably get them Side-by-side.

Nope don't have any other pictures. I was surprised I had that one. I was sure I had some with the saddles, but nope.

The sit on top kind are usually wider that the enclosed ones, but I bet with 58" bars you could make it work.

If you put these on the crossbars it'd add some protection for flat mounting: http://www.amazon.com/SportRack-Abr512-ABR512-Kayak-Saddle/dp/B000UUIDCC

This is the style we had, super easy for loading and unloading, not very expensive: http://www.amazon.com/TMS-KAYAK-RK-...8&qid=1400089767&sr=1-9&keywords=kayak+saddle

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
So your kayaks are not sitting in cradles, just sitting flat on the bar?

Flat on the bars.

Do you have any sort of padding underneath them to keep from damaging or deforming the plastic?

No padding, as long as you don't store them long term strapped down (think weeks on end) there will be no issues.

Our kayaks are sit-on-top models, with a pretty flat deck, so I wonder if we may be able to do something similar - certainly it would save us a few hundred bucks to not have to buy "cradles" for the kayaks and just strap them flat on the bars.

You should have no problems.

I can't remember how wide my Yakima bars are. I want to say 58" but I'm not 100% sure. Just need to get the grabbers (I thought they were called "Lowriders?")

Rail Grabbers. I bought mine used from a gentleman here on the Portal all 4 shipped from Alasksa for $60. I doubt with your time frame you'll be able to find a set used but Craigslist is always worth a shot.

Do you run straps to the bow/stern or just across the beam? And I'm assuming each kayak gets its own straps?
Each boat gets individually strapped across the hull than strapped back to the bars both bow and stern. Do the bow and stern straps first and it will save you some time and energy.

Thanks for all the help! I've got just 2 weeks to get this figured out. We're taking the kayaks and our teardrop trailer "Bubbles" down to a reservoir in SE Colorado for Memorial Day weekend.

Have fun! We just got back from a weekend of paddling the Pine Creek Gorge here in PA with our ARSES group.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Well crap. Just measured the kayaks we have and they are too wide to sit side x side on my 58" Yakima bars. In fact, at 34", I couldn't even fit the pair of them on the 66" bars which means my only option is to get the humongous 78" bars and probably cut them down a bit.

Still, getting a set of Low Rider mounts + 78" crossbars would still be cheaper than getting "saddle" mounts for the kayaks (at least if I can get the set of Lowriders advertised on the local CL for $85.)

BrutalGuyRacing

Flat on the bars.

No padding, as long as you don't store them long term strapped down (think weeks on end) there will be no issues.

You should have no problems.

Rail Grabbers. I bought mine used from a gentleman here on the Portal all 4 shipped from Alasksa for $60. I doubt with your time frame you'll be able to find a set used but Craigslist is always worth a shot.

Each boat gets individually strapped across the hull than strapped back to the bars both bow and stern. Do the bow and stern straps first and it will save you some time and energy.

Have fun! We just got back from a weekend of paddling the Pine Creek Gorge here in PA with our ARSES group.

Pine creek gorge
I want to do that
Any info on the trip you did

Joker

Adventurer
I have the Thule and the cradles with I think the 65" bars on my Taco. As the Distinguished Gentlemen from Western PA pointed out you don't need the cradles just be careful you don't over tighten the straps or you can crease the yak on the bar. The black Kayak is a 9' and the green one is a 14.5'

Rack1.jpg

Rack2.jpg

Rack3.jpg

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Pine creek gorge
I want to do that
Any info on the trip you did
Follow the link in my post over to American Adventurist, some details are in that thread. Also you'll find a thread from last years float. If you need more info please feel free to ask in the linked thread so we don't clutter up Martin's thread here. Pine Creek is one fun float.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles