2 Gallon Rotopax failure, leaking - UPDATE - received replacement

WOODY2

Adventurer
Does your 2 gallon units have the date stamps on the bottom? That would perhaps help solve the mystery

outback97

Adventurer
The failed one did have a date stamp on the side that I didn't notice before. It was covered with some dust from the last trip. Looks like it was made in October of 2014.

The replacement one is from 2016. I filled it with 1.9 GL this morning and all is well so far.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Sounds like good customer service. Still seems like people should just leave their rotopax in the garage when they aren't on a trip. Letting it bake in the sun everyday isn't good for most things.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Well, my second two gallon can is leaking. Same place too.

Contacted RotopaX and I will be getting a third. They are very slow to respond to communication. I called twice, left Facebook messages, and even Instagram messages. Took four days for them to get back to me via Facebook. Let's hope third time is the charm.

outback97

Adventurer
Well, my second two gallon can is leaking. Same place too.

Contacted RotopaX and I will be getting a third. They are very slow to respond to communication. I called twice, left Facebook messages, and even Instagram messages. Took four days for them to get back to me via Facebook. Let's hope third time is the charm.

That sucks. Do you know what the manufacture date is? Is it leaking from the same area that mine was?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jb_vUpjbfk

They were quite responsive when I used FB and I had a replacement in hand within two days. I am being very diligent in venting it to avoid excess pressure, and don't plan on storing fuel in it long term, just filling when I need it for a trip. Hopefully you get a good one with no leaks soon.

ADVSubaru

Observer
Guys I apologize, the date stamp on the new 2GL one is in a totally different place than the 4GL... I may have overlooked it on my leaky 2GL one and it may well have one. I will check it out more closely.
Is fake Rotopax a thing? Having had this in hand next to my other ones, I doubt this one is. More likely a manufacturing defect. But I guess anything is possible.

Honestly I do not know if there are counterfeit Rotopax on the market. I've seen Rotopax knockoffs under different names on eBay and Amazon but not blatant counterfeits. I'm glad you may have confirmed it was the real deal, but I think its worth mentioning that AEV, Tein, AC Delco, Brembo, and others have put out warnings about counterfeit products.

Glad to hear Rotopax is taking care of the issue, though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles