2-Door JK JeepKitchen - AT Chaser - Globetrotter - National Luna build thread

briferg

Observer
Hi Jacob, I am new to your thread. I was interested in the part around post #40 with the 2 burner Snow Peak stove (I have one). How were you suppling the fuel to the stove, since you normally screw the Iso Butane bottles to the bottom? I assume you had some aux hoses. But were you sending propane to them? Seemed like a short lived part of your build. I started skimming after that to see if you explained anymore. I didn't see it. What made you want to switch to the partner stove?

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Hi Jacob, I am new to your thread. I was interested in the part around post #40 with the 2 burner Snow Peak stove (I have one). How were you suppling the fuel to the stove, since you normally screw the Iso Butane bottles to the bottom? I assume you had some aux hoses. But were you sending propane to them? Seemed like a short lived part of your build. I started skimming after that to see if you explained anymore. I didn't see it. What made you want to switch to the partner stove?

Hi,
I was using 1 lbs. standard propane bottles with two of these adapters. It worked, but wasn't quite right. The SP burners were always too hot....I think there is more pressure in standard propane bottles than butane bottles. The adapters linked above do have a small regulator screw to reduce pressure but I didn't get around to trying it. And, when the SP stove was mounted in that tray there wasn't enough clearance for the butane bottles. The extra length of the adapters allowed propane bottles to fit.

The SP stove is a nice stove and I still have it, but in the end I don't think it's well suited to car camping. It has a lot of loose parts and sharp edges. It rattles like all hell when going down a bumpy road. While closing up the Jeep before bed at night I've closed that tray without removing the propane bottles first (more than once...darned bourbon) and would then have to bend a few parts back into shape in the morning. It just isn't a very convenient stove IMO. In it's defense, the built-in ignition is really handy and the quality is first-rate.

When I became serious about adding the Propex heater I needed propane. Packing around two types of fuel proved to be one too many bottles to keep track of. So, back to the Partner stoves. They are simple and bulletproof (so far). Heck, I have a third Partner stove being shipped to me now. I really like them.

MattJ

Adventurer
Cinnamon-sugar donut mini-muffins! Two dozen in a batch. Camping menu planning will never be the same . . .

y4mISf2xV3ynZLNX1rG3P1L2AEaX_5ffO1Lh2x1Xo_ThBEEVsCpBLXc02nDSG6WxstHibqexPYrxVZyIefGfY_cFbCZo0wBUNGAuHCakrxdCtsJj1btMd6yGIL2jnAjMByEjyjW-BaTanZMTk6FiX9dlo4UZdTj4DuGzY_qluXVIyRN4E3dQ-0AiBrCFLqUiceVjGRo7hwuLO476aAdDVOD7Q

y4m2ecmYx4u1Ugdso3raSClAJYZgPhJKF0ZXxIqSM0ijR9vI5AoNVdCf1U-c9kFfjGlTOBpPkgYuQg0K2AR_iOtK2bBeD1kMt30Ori7plVbCNzAAduz1-5paZ0CMbXBVB6dtv2xVVxxgPWJ0c9YH19weuYQLsIKgCf7eBxR5FF_EoukidW1gBYNDXBjj1ikPb0I2szNNBezU0j8ZCh211uitg

y4m06m4T0yzsm6oQeCjGdO2ONK4oFB4XD268oRCwO06RzvzSfeJYcMbpnXlrElStkWx3eFLD9_L2Ai11S-fbzVO1YUr78-opUh9L79Dc4WHvSTwHPjBo8V9VLOwV_qCVDs7mGqzR_nWEzPecQ_wdOI7lGvaFq-trGwJnBMTT3JzEyN-SIGoi25n9-EQw5LH9jqiPtRh7DnqRLuD7OPEiAQXsQ

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I got a new toy today:

Isn't it shiny? Each half is 9 x 12. When folded it's about 6 inches tall.

It will be something like this when I'm cooking:

And I think I'm going to move it to the left side when folded:

Problem is that the grill is about 1 inch too tall when the grill lid is on. With this arrangement I can cut a fitted hole in the wood shelf that will only drop the grill about 1 inch (so that the Kanz lid will close). This will also keep it in place when driving around.

Kindof a bummer that the split hose that came with the Partner is so short. I picked up a 5 foot high pressure hose to extend it today. Tomorrow morning I will get it all set up because I am heading out for a two-day campout tomorrow night. The hope is that the hose will coil up in the top of the Kanz to make it easy to deal with. Putting the hose in the bottom of the Partner stoves is too much monkeying around IMO.

MattJ

Adventurer
Do you think the insulation was worth doing?

Definitely. And the pizza stone. It required a few extra bucks, but the addition of those two items really helps to calibrate the temperature. Due to wind and the variability of the propane output through the cheap Coleman stove burner, the temperature will yo-yo quite a bit on its own. When it got to hot, I'd lift the front of the cozy or even crack the door open for a few seconds. Too cold, and I'd crank the burner for a bit. After 20 minutes, the pizza stone was so hot, I think I could have cut the burner off, kept the whole thing sealed up and let it keep cooking at 400F for several more minutes. I've done a lot of BBQ smoking in my life, so I'm used to the fun of riding a temperature yo-yo.

I should also mention that the extra rack is a MUST have if you do the insulation and pizza stone. It doubles the capacity of the oven, and I think you can only use double racks if you've made the improvements to the insulation and temperature consistency. I did notice that the bottom rack cooks very slightly faster than the top rack, but it was easy to swap the muffin pans after 10 minutes.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I just got back from an overnight camping trip. The new stove is the perfect size for my little 6-inch Snow Peak cast iron set. But, I think I'm gonna need an oven after all.

I'm eyeballing this one. The Coleman is about 13.5 X 13 X 3.5 when folded and it will not fit into my chuck box with the grill. The Winnerwell is stated to be 10.5 X 13 X 3 and I think I can make that fit. Looks like the temp gage is good quality (from the pictures). But, the Coleman has a diffuser built-in. I don't think the Winnerfell has a diffuser.

So, will I need to get a diffuser or will it be safe to set the flat-bottom Winnerfell across both burners on my Partner? Not sure. The 13 inch length of the Winnerwell should fit nicely across both burners and hopefully will create nice, even heat.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Well, out of the blue...one of the darned bead locks decided to start leaking. I haven't been doing anything but regular driving. So, as usual (for a bead lock owner), I can either spend a half day dismantling it and putting it back together to fix the leak (at least once) or get something else.

Screw 'em. I ordered new wheels last night. I've always like the look of the newer Rubicon stock wheels but don't want to run spacers. Ordered 5 of Quadratec Hardrock wheels in gunmetal. I like the looks, the price, the fact that I should be able to run my 185/70/r17s without spacers, and I will never, ever have to waste another afternoon with those bead locks.

Well...after today that is. I spent the morning pulling the wheels, tires, and bead lock rings. Then dropped them off downtown to have the beads broken (I'm too old for that stuff).

Bead locks begone to hell!

Doesn't she look lonely?

Wheels should be here towards the end of the week. Holy crap, the local businesses in town appear to have formed a cartel to fight Internet ordering of wheels & tires. $25.00 to break the beads on 5 wheels. I can live with that. But one place wants $125.00 to mount & balance 5 wheels/tires and the second quote I received was $175.00. Are you kidding me? Since when do tire monkeys charge mechanic rates? I'm not falling for that crap. These fools are going to price themselves right out of business.

Called in a buddy favor and he is going to mount all 5 for $70.00. It used to be $10.00 per wheel. Sheesh.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
As for Propex news...something is indeed wrong with my install. Last weekend I awoke three times to a blinking error code of four....I thought. But the paperwork on the Interwebs says that code 4 means "gas solenoid valve". That can't be it, because resetting the thermostat makes it work again (until the next time I wake up).

But look here, this is the Propex fault list that I keep on my phone (don't remember where I found it, but since I took the pic I'm nearly certain that it was the paperwork included with the Propex.

Different...yes? This is one of my biggest "bitches" about Propex. Unify your documentation retards!!!!!! Both of these fault code sheets refer the THE SAME MODEL NUMBER (HS2000). Complete idiocy.

End rant. This weekend I will disassemble my toolbox and run the combustion intake and exhaust out of the toolbox and under the roof rack. I'm hoping that code 4 is triggering because of condensation in either the intake or exhaust. Both are coiled up like a snake inside of the toolbox. Of course, I'll check carefully to make sure that both pipes are indeed clear.

I'll report back about this.

Oh...and I used simple clamps to attach both combustion and intake to the Propex. I think I will put some high-temp RTV silicone in there while I have it pulled apart this time.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Found a new spot this weekend. It was a very good trip.

The falls on the way up. Lotsa water this year (after all that heavy snow):

There was still a little snow at the top of the pass:

Found a cool spot at the end of a road. Road was too rough to expect much company.

Minimal setup required. I finally had a chance to take some firewood on the Alta rack. Worked great!

Was a good view. Rolling thunderstorms kept passing overhead with a little rain and sunshine at the same time. Very nice trip.

I really like the Snow Peak fire pit. It's so much cleaner to camp away from the established fire pit (which are always filthy dirty and usually filled with the last campers trash).

No camping this weekend though. Ma Jeep got no wheels right now!

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Well, it's heavy and it's very expensive, but I needed the space. It gives me a place to haul dirty stuff, place the heater when it is running, and hopefully store a night's worth of firewood. If I decide to haul a chainsaw instead of firewood, it and the gas will go on the TF rack.

My biggest complaint about it is that it doesn't have grease nipples on the hinge assembly. Makes a horrible squeaking sound when you close the gate since the rack was installed. Didn't do that when it was just the TF hinge.

jadmt

ignore button user
Well, out of the blue...one of the darned bead locks decided to start leaking. I haven't been doing anything but regular driving. So, as usual (for a bead lock owner), I can either spend a half day dismantling it and putting it back together to fix the leak (at least once) or get something else.

Screw 'em. I ordered new wheels last night. I've always like the look of the newer Rubicon stock wheels but don't want to run spacers. Ordered 5 of Quadratec Hardrock wheels in gunmetal. I like the looks, the price, the fact that I should be able to run my 185/70/r17s without spacers, and I will never, ever have to waste another afternoon with those bead locks.

Well...after today that is. I spent the morning pulling the wheels, tires, and bead lock rings. Then dropped them off downtown to have the beads broken (I'm too old for that stuff).

Bead locks begone to hell!
View attachment 520150

Doesn't she look lonely?
View attachment 520149

Wheels should be here towards the end of the week. Holy crap, the local businesses in town appear to have formed a cartel to fight Internet ordering of wheels & tires. $25.00 to break the beads on 5 wheels. I can live with that. But one place wants $125.00 to mount & balance 5 wheels/tires and the second quote I received was $175.00. Are you kidding me? Since when do tire monkeys charge mechanic rates? I'm not falling for that crap. These fools are going to price themselves right out of business.

Called in a buddy favor and he is going to mount all 5 for $70.00. It used to be $10.00 per wheel. Sheesh.

probably too late but Firestone in Missoula does them for $17 a tire mount and balance. which is more than your buddy charges but if you get in a pinch it is not bad. Freaking les schwab said $50 a tire for me I said F You I will never buy another tire from you guys again. I have spent literally $1000's there as I have been going there since 1977. hell in 2014 I bought 4 full sets of 5 over size toyos from them alone. Hey there is a guy in Big Timber wanting to buy bead lock pinters. https://forum.aev-conversions.com/forum/aev-for-sale/parts-for-sale/257331-wtb-pintler-beadlocks

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
probably too late but Firestone in Missoula does them for $17 a tire mount and balance. which is more than your buddy charges but if you get in a pinch it is not bad. Freaking les schwab said $50 a tire for me I said F You I will never buy another tire from you guys again. I have spent literally $1000's there as I have been going there since 1977. hell in 2014 I bought 4 full sets of 5 over size toyos from them alone. Hey there is a guy in Big Timber wanting to buy bead lock pinters. https://forum.aev-conversions.com/forum/aev-for-sale/parts-for-sale/257331-wtb-pintler-beadlocks

Cool. I take it you are a member on that forum. Can you ask him if he needs 17 inch, 5 X 5 (JK/JL) bolt pattern? I have four with a 4.5 backset, and the spare has a 5.5 backset. I'd let all 5 go for $650.00.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
New wheels. I like 'em. Seems to be more peppy too (with the much lighter wheels).

Maybe I'll wash, polish, and wax the old girl tomorrow. Haven't done it in at least five years. The RTT needs it more than anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94