2 burner camping stove recommendations?

vasily

Adventurer
I'm about to use my REI coupon and dividends to buy a 2 burner portable camp stove...

Any recommendations? Any suggestions on what to look for and what to avoid?

tuckers

I'm about to use my REI coupon and dividends to buy a 2 burner portable camp stove...

Cook partner by Partner Steel all the way! If you're going to use it on a table I would recommend getting one with the wind deflector, if you're using it in a slide out or building it into something get one without, because they are not detachable.

I have the 22" with deflector and I can fit a 10" cast iron skillet and a 12" Dutch oven next to each other. I think if I was going to do it again I would go with one just a little bit smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I just bought a camp chef Summit at REI this weekend. I cant speak for longevity of course, but the stove seems to be the same as the camp chef everest (popular stove here) with one improvement that I find to be major, the igniter rotates instead of pushing. I returned an Everest without ever connecting a gas bottle because every igniter push moved the stove 6" or more. the summit is on sale at REI anniversary sale for $100, same price as the daily price on the everest.

Sports men's warehouse had the carry bag in stock despite not selling the stove... Hmmm... I worked out for me.

Stroller

For what it's worth I have done some looking in order to update and from info I read and comments by others. (To my frustration.)

Quality of most newer stoves has declined.
Coleman quality has gone down. I have a very old version of the Triton and my buddy also has one that is not quite as old but used more. They have held together but flame control is not that great. I decided to look into upgrading.
The newer Tritons have lower quality assembly and often flame control issues and some failures. I was thinking of the newer burner design stove such as the Hyperflame but read way too many bad reviews.
Even the Coleman liquid fuel stoves do not appear to be the same quality. If you want liquid fuel buy a older lightly used one. For the same price as new you can find very good older ones and have it shipped on Ebay.

In the past I liked the burner of some of the Camp Chef's. But once again now there are complaints about newer quality and assembly. Even some complaints about the burners failing or not assembled correctly and having stripped screws which surprised me as I believe those were the multiplate burners style like the old Coleman liquid fuels.
The Camp Chef Mountainer model seems like an attempt (with some assembly issues) to piggy back on Partner Steel design and for the price I would just go PS.

The Snow Peak dual looks interesting and the burner is also interesting but may collect debris more. And for $400 why not get the Partner Steel units that are less and seem proven.

Stansport offerings have really declined. Plenty of comments about them being cheaply built from people trying to replace an old Stansport. They were building a slightly more expensive unit with multi layer burners (like Coleman liquid fuels) that had good comments but no longer seem to make it.

Century is having the same decline in quality and the same type of complaints. Their HO (high output) might be worth some more investigation.

Partner Steel. Never seen one and others should chime in on my comments. I wish they were not as thick for packing. Read their info about brass manifold and thought brass burners but I think the brass is the valves connected to the knobs and such. The rest of the tubes I assume are stainless and the burners are just the domed metal with punched holes from what I see. I felt I wanted a bit more from the burner but I have not read complaints about burner performance or longevity. I do read plenty of compliments. Have not further researched the PS in regards to being able simmer or perform in temperatures below 30 degrees but that should not be hard to do. Build quality all sounds 1st class.

For a economical stove it's now a gamble from what I can tell. So I will use the old Triton or buy the Partner 18 inch.
Well, most likely the Partner Steel and also an old but lightly used Coleman liquid fuel, just because.

Elementoutfitters.com ships the PS for free, and others may as well. Not sure if a EP vendor sells it.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Camp Chef Summit Unboxing

Okay, this thread, in combination with some of the negative reviews online about camp chef caused me to inbox my new one and fire it off tonight in anticipation of a long weekend camping this weekend.

First Impressions:

1) Sheet metal is very thin. I would rather have 5 more pounds in the thing and pay more.
2) Finish quality (paint or powder) seems very nicely done.
3) Hinges on the wind breaks are basically crap. I have a feeling I'll be replacing those with something robust.
4) Lots of complaints out there about the new plastic latches. I would prefer metal draw catches, but these seem functional in the short term, and I can see them possibly lasting for years.
5) The whole thing smells like a harbor freight tool, that weird Chinese machine oil and powder coat combo... Not sure I want that around food... But... I eat worse than that in a day of wrenching.
6) Connection for the bottle is flimsy at best. It will need some love, and I will probably get the hose based regulator for it shortly, stowing the solid brass one in the truck as a backup.

Second Imressions:

Connecting the bottle and turning the knob results in pure magic. The burners light at about 1/8 turn of the knob... and then... Holy FIRE Batman! This thing easily throws 3x as much heat per burner on high as my largest kitchen stove burner. The turndown ratio is impressive, with good high and low flow on each burner no matter which was set each way. Turning the burners to low and trying to blow them out seemed to have no effect, they just soldiered on.

Also, the Chinese lube smell has been flamed off and replaced with a delightful hot metal odor. As they say... "Now we're cooking with GAS!"

I'm going to declare myself happy, with only longevity to prove now.

BTW... The carry bag isn't very good, no padding and the fit is tight. It isn't stiff enough to load or unload easily, but I paid for it, so I will use it until I build a wood case.

I guess all things considered, this stove is a pretty good deal at $100. I can overcome the minor build defects with some tinkering, and have good food along the way.

tarditi

Explorer
I got a camp chef everest and it's a flamethrower! Great stove, but a little large. It doesn't fit in my dosko, so I got a standard coleman 2 burner.
The adjustablity of the flame on the everest is 10x better than the coleman. I desperately want to justify the purchase of a partner sometime in the future.

FWIW, Camp Chef = Primus

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
I got a camp chef everest and it's a flamethrower! Great stove, but a little large. It doesn't fit in my dosko, so I got a standard coleman 2 burner.
The adjustablity of the flame on the everest is 10x better than the coleman. I desperately want to justify the purchase of a partner sometime in the future.

FWIW, Camp Chef = Primus

QFT.

I also love my Camp Chef Everest. I wish my house's stove was as powerful!

Greatest_Dane

Observer
I agree with above. The Camp Chef Everest is a flame thrower. 20,000BTU per burner if you need it. Boils water quickly. And the profile isn't big. Been very happy with the use, size, and price point. I would buy again.

JLee

Adventurer
Another +1 for the Everest. I used mine at home today to cook steak in cast iron - avoids smoking up the house, and churns out a ridiculous amount of heat. It makes great steaks. :D

Stryder106

Explorer
Well - we have an old Coleman 3-burner White Fuel that we use. I'm not sure what the BTUs are but I can burn any food I choose...................

mrAcksel

In fact, it is not so difficult nowadays to pick up a camping stove - there are a lot of manufacturers, the competition is large, there are a lot of pretty cheap but high-quality models. Here are some good options from different manufacturers, judging by your requests you will be suitable Yellowstone or Campingaz. In general, you can simply look through manufacturers to see if they have more good(and maybe cheapest) models. Whatever it was, better than the usual brazier nothing has been invented yet, and grilled meat can be made at home using this kind of stove.https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/rotisserie-ovens

Last edited:

stingray1300

Explorer

HA! I did the same thing last year (REI coupon/div.) and got an amazing stove. I had a Coleman Exponent Rendezvous stove, but it is more of a base-camp style stove, with 2 - 15,000 BTU burners. It was great (same BTUs as my wife Wolf stove), but I wanted more compactness and lighter weight, but still able to fry the dickens outta chickens. So, I ended up falling for the Camp Chef Mountaineer Series *aluminum* stove. 2 - 20,000 BTU burners (40k max)! The knob/gas inlet arrangement is superior to others. I definitely like it better, and boy can it light up a cast iron skillet! I think it took about 30 seconds to heat peanut oil for frying. Whoa! Not cheap, but with all the REI gimmies, I paid less than 1/2. And the whole thing only weighs 15#. I did some research into other popular brands, and nothing can hold a candle to Camp Chef, IMHO.
FYI, REI carried Camp Chef, but only online. They'll deliver it to the store of your choice free.

vasily

Adventurer
HA! I did the same thing last year (REI coupon/div.) and got an amazing stove. I had a Coleman Exponent Rendezvous stove, but it is more of a base-camp style stove, with 2 - 15,000 BTU burners. It was great (same BTUs as my wife Wolf stove), but I wanted more compactness and lighter weight, but still able to fry the dickens outta chickens. So, I ended up falling for the Camp Chef Mountaineer Series *aluminum* stove. 2 - 20,000 BTU burners (40k max)! The knob/gas inlet arrangement is superior to others. I definitely like it better, and boy can it light up a cast iron skillet! I think it took about 30 seconds to heat peanut oil for frying. Whoa! Not cheap, but with all the REI gimmies, I paid less than 1/2. And the whole thing only weighs 15#. I did some research into other popular brands, and nothing can hold a candle to Camp Chef, IMHO.
FYI, REI carried Camp Chef, but only online. They'll deliver it to the store of your choice free.

I ended up getting the Coleman grill/stove combo.

So far, used it on 2 camping trips and several times on the deck and in the driveway.

366ac674e78436e0d40464fd9fd4f743.jpg

6e180c900fda656f710b440b29d69d0c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles