2 8v batteries in series in 12v system

Glidedon

I was checking out a friends VW van. He has 2 8v batteries in series in 12v system for his house batteries. Ignoring charging deficiencies , what kind of damage will happen to his components if he continues to use these batteries? Components: 12 fridge, 12v stereo, Lights(incandescent).

For the record I told him to take them back to Costco and get 6v batteries. He's had them in for 6 months with no apparent ill effects.

Thanks in advance!

Don

john61ct

Adventurer
Very odd. Did not know any big box channels carried large 8V deep cycling batts.

Many nominal 12V devices accept a wide voltage range, there is no general statement that can be made, need to check each one.

I am surprised he hasn't come across obvious problems.

Life is likely shortened on some devices.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I imagine the batteries haven't had a full charge since he's had them. I don't know how the eight volt batteries could be being charged up to 8v if it's a 12v charging system. Therefore I don't know how the appliances could be getting 16v. I could be missing something though.

My employer did just the opposite, bought 6v batteries when he should have bought 8v. So now the golf cart is getting overcharged everyday which boils them over. He refuses to admit fault though...

I wouldn't expect as much damage with undercharging vs over charging.

Glidedon

Thanks for the replies. Yes I know he couldn't possibly be getting a full charge without plugging in to an appropriate charger. I measured 14.8v on the bank.
I figured the batteries where for 24v or 48 volt configurations. His devices might have enough tolerance to handle the extra voltage but he's throwing away money using these batteries that wont last long without full charges.

Thats about all there is to it. Batteries what never get fully charged, lead a short lifespan.
As far as damage appliances, probably none. Excepting lightbulbs, lots of appliances will be ok at slightly higher voltage. Further, since being charged in a 12V system, those batteries excepting when brand new, likely never been up to their possible 8Volt anyway.

Maybe next time they replace with two 6Volts... Given undercharged condition they are enduring, thats bound to be sooner than otherwise should be.
Why do you think that the system voltage will be higher than normal (other than when new and fully charged and just installed in the vehicle)? If the regulator limits the voltage to 13.8 to 14.2, then it doesn't make any difference what battery is in there and accessories and appliances shouldn't be affected. That 16 volt Hybrid battery set is just not going to get charged fully...and we all agree it should suffer from a shortened lifespan.

RestorationRides

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Thats about all there is to it. Batteries what never get fully charged, lead a short lifespan.
As far as damage appliances, probably none. Excepting lightbulbs, lots of appliances will be ok at slightly higher voltage. Further, since being charged in a 12V system, those batteries excepting when brand new, likely never been up to their possible 8Volt anyway.

Maybe next time they replace with two 6Volts... Given undercharged condition they are enduring, thats bound to be sooner than otherwise should be.
It was a simple question. No need to get snippy!

You wrote... "As far as damage appliances, probably none. Excepting lightbulbs, lots of appliances will be ok at slightly higher voltage."

I don't see your logic in why the voltage would be any higher than normal...?

Originally mentioned, ”upon initial battery installation”.
Then same effectively mentioned yourself.

Make it easier on yourself, just confess to a bad potato...
It wouldn't be slightly higher voltage upon initial battery installation either. It would be nominal 16-volts on a 12-volt system which would be a large overvoltage...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles