2.5 gen AC fan, what temp does it cycle on at?

bikerjosh

Explorer
Ok, hopefully this is an easy question. While doing some maintenance on my Montero, I noticed that the AC (electric fan mounted to front of radiator versus the climate control fan) doesn't work, This fan besides turning on with AC, is supposed to come on when the engine temp get's to a certain temp. Anyone know what that temp is?
Thanks

bikerjosh

Explorer
Well "Toasty" said this
"08-12-2015, 09:36 PM #75
The system should stand alone without that fan. It turns on with AC and is rumored to turn on well past the point of no return when overheating (I don't think it turns on at all except with AC) I wired mine up to a thermostatic switch from Painless and connected it to ground at the fan and engine so my fan turns on and cycles with the system for added cooing airflow. "

Maybe I had it wrong all along and it is only connected to the AC system and not dual purpose from stock? Waiting for my replacement to come since I already wired up an interior switch.
thanks

TheMole

Adventurer
Just for reference, the ac fan in front of my radiator turns on from a cold start without the ac on. Is this how it should be?

bikerjosh

Explorer
Just for reference, the ac fan in front of my radiator turns on from a cold start without the ac on. Is this how it should be?

Does it turn on or is it just spinning from the engine fan pushing air against it? Mine does the same thing, even though it is dead. Try sticking a stir stick (old timey- plastic straw for coffee) in it won't take much to stop it spinning

TheMole

Adventurer
Does it turn on or is it just spinning from the engine fan pushing air against it? Mine does the same thing, even though it is dead. Try sticking a stir stick (old timey- plastic straw for coffee) in it won't take much to stop it spinning

It's just from the radiator fan pulling air through the cooling stack, simple physics at work.

You guys were right. I stuck a straw in there from a cold start earlier and was able to stop the fan from spinning. I wanted to test it at normal operating temps with the ac on so I drove it a good 45 minutes in 100°F weather to run some errands, but was still able to stop the fan with a straw. I guess that means mine might be bad as well? My temp needle has always been stable and coolant temps have never surpassed 217°F according to my ultragauge. When I get some time, I'll put some voltage to the terminals to see if it spins.

edit: Just tested it and no movement when voltage was applied. Looks like time to shop for a new fan :ugh:. Glad you brought this topic up bikerjosh as who knows when I would have known it failed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles