2.0 vs 2.5 shocks for "light" J7 series KZJ78?

Al75

Hi everyone,

It is pretty hard to get good suspension for "light" J7 series Land Cruiser Prado KZJ78, 1994 (JDM). There are lack of variety of "on shelf" options, most of them are crap and doesn't provide good ride quality in real world.
Now I am deciding about custom made Fox or King remote reservoir shocks to get the great ride.
My driving distribution: highways 45...50%, gravel roads, country roads, roads without pavement 35...40%, light-medium off-road, some crawling 10...15%. I am planning one...two times a year to go to expedition for 2...4 weeks.
Vehicle weight in "local driving" state 2550 kg, estimated weight in "expedition" state 2800...2900 kg.

1) So there are dilemma about the better shock size - 2.0" or 2.5"?
2) Which smooth body shock brand are better in terms of build quality, used material quality & longetivity - King Performance Series vs Fox Factory Racing series?

Attachments

• IMG-0988-copy.jpg
    IMG-0988-copy.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Here's my 2 cents.

For your described use, both brands would be more than enough shock to keep you happy. I know that the Fox series are and internal floating piston design (good basic design but can lead to fade due to emulsification) I'm not sure what the King series shock design is. Long story short, I don't think you need 2.5 body shocks, or remote reserviors from your description. Now, do they make a difference? Yes, over longer stretches of fast offroad terrain, they'll fade less quickly. Outside of that, there isn't a difference in feel.

One thing to note: The fox website only lists shocks for the 80 series whereas King lists 76, 78, 79 series shocks. If you can get valving made for your vehicle, that will be a bigger difference in feel than anything else.

Al75

Thanks for opinion. I am going to remote reservoir shocks not emulsion ones because remote reservoir shocks are providing longer shaft travel. By other hand remotes are easier to servicing. Also DSC adjuster possible to add if necessary. Reputable suspension tuning experts in CA advised to choose 2.5 instead of 2.0.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior