1st generation 4runner

bmh

Adventurer
I have a 1985 4runner. I love it for trail riding and am looking to get into more expedition style trips. What are people doing to prepare them for long trips? I am going to be building a bed storage/bed enclosure after I get my new engine installed.

Lets see pictures of everyones 1st gen 4runners and the mods they have done.

bmh

Adventurer
Here is mine...

DSC_0205.jpg

IMG_4229.jpg

100_0397.jpg

toyota_jon

Adventurer
here's some of the mods that i would recommend to you

first since there's no real cargo light in back i went to wally world got some $20 lights and installed them as such:

P1010037.jpg

P1010039.jpg

switch

P1010040.jpg

i'd recommend getting some backup lights installed these again are $20 from wally world. i have used these things more than i really care to admit, they're great for not only backing up and missing that big tree, but they also work well as work lights.

P1010034.jpg

Another thing i have done and am very happy with is making my own center console. I had the factory rear heat, and it didn't really work. so i pulled the factory console out and built this:

console-1.jpg

I have my radio, CB, window switch, and misc other things all wired in there. and it works great! I used a 40mm can.

For extended trips it's nice not to hear all the road noise. So i used eDead and went through the doors, rear fenders, and from the front seats forward. Pretty easy to do just takes time. Clean the area well, cut and stick.

P1010036.jpg

Another thing thats on my short list is to build a rear bumper with tire carrier. getting that spare out of the back, makes a huge difference!

thats a good starter list for ya!

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
redbeard said:
You might check out this guy's retired vehicle.
http://www.brian894x4.com/
Scroll down a little.

Wow. Kinda wierd. I was reading another thread before this and started thinking about some guy's Toyota/Old Rails page and was about to go look for it (my PC crapped out and I lost the link). Low and behold I click your link there it was!!

Thanks redbeard!!!

wentz912

Observer
so bmh, what are the details on the thing? what are you running for tires, suspension and all that sort of good stuff? :088:

bmh

Adventurer
wentz912 said:
so bmh, what are the details on the thing? what are you running for tires, suspension and all that sort of good stuff? :088:

right now it has: 3" lift up front and 4 " in back, hy-steer, 33 x 1250 x 15 BFG Mud Terrains on 15 x 8 MB Motoring Blitz wheels, 1.5" wheel spacers all the way around.

In the works: I have a rebuilt short block sitting on an engine stand with a new streetRV head ready to go on it. I have the old engine out and stripped, just need to start cleaning it up to get all the parts ready to swap over. Next on the list is 5.29 gears with a rear spool and front Detroit locker. The I am going to get sliders and front/rear bumpers.

As time and money allows, I am going to be building a platform in the back for storage and sleep.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I don't have a solid axle, but it get's around pretty good without. I'm still planning my rear cargo drawer system. That and reloacting my basket farther back and lower.

14-Resize.jpg

lionsbreath

Adventurer
I have a 87. I am running the same wheels as you but with a 255/75/16 yokahamas'. No lift as of yet but I am looking at the OME or a Downey 2-2 1/2. I just replaced front 1/2 shafts, tps, clutch and various other minnor parts. I will be regearing the transfer case next and adding aussie lockers front and rear. I feel for the kind of exploring that I intend to do I dont need the dual transfers. 4.7:1 will be what I go with from marlin crawler. And for now I am going to stick with the IFS.

bmh

Adventurer
lionsbreath said:
I feel for the kind of exploring that I intend to do I dont need the dual transfers. 4.7:1 will be what I go with from marlin crawler.

I would seriously think about doing dual cases with stock gears. Costs about the same and you get regular low for the higher speed slow stuff( if the makes sense) and low low for the more technical stuff...

AxleIke

Adventurer
lionsbreath said:
I have a 87. I am running the same wheels as you but with a 255/75/16 yokahamas'. No lift as of yet but I am looking at the OME or a Downey 2-2 1/2. I just replaced front 1/2 shafts, tps, clutch and various other minnor parts. I will be regearing the transfer case next and adding aussie lockers front and rear. I feel for the kind of exploring that I intend to do I dont need the dual transfers. 4.7:1 will be what I go with from marlin crawler. And for now I am going to stick with the IFS.

I also recomend dual stock cases.

I did the 4.7 thing for 2 years before I got my duals. A single 4.7 case is great if you just do trails where there are non stop obstacles, no real smooth sections.

On many roads, I would have to lug the engine to go slow in 4hi, or wind it out at 4k RPMs in 4low 5th gear.

Stock low is perfect for most 4wd trails, and most back roads, and with dual stockers, you end up with the option of a lower gear for obstacles.

lionsbreath

Adventurer
Didin't think about it like that. Is the xtra weight wort the xtra case or maybe just step down to a 4:1 insteed of the 4.7:1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles