1st Gen Xterra Suspension Lift - Recommendations wanted

Bobfab

Observer
Hey guys,

Not a regular in this forum, but i knew it is probably the best audience on the web for this question. I have a buddy that has a first gen Xterra which has worn out its springs and shocks (and probably a couple bushings too). I am pretty competent mechanic and think that this vehicle is a great candidate for some suspension upgrading rather than replacing it with a newer SUV. We do all sorts of outdoor adventures, skiing, climbing, and even including using a hitch hauler for a dirtbike. That said, what do you guys think is a good suspension kit for this vehicle? It has +1 size General grabbers on it, otherwise bone stock!

Tried and true OME? Some other mfg? Any recommendations would be appreciated. thanks,

mortonm

Expedition Leader
unfortunately OME makes no suspension options for the first gen Xterras.

There are lots of kits out htere for 3+ inches of lift, but that doesn't sound like what he wants.

If it was me, I would be going to Alcan or Deaver for some custom 500+ pound rear leafs (1-2" of lift, they can give you whatever you want), and new torsion bars from sway a way (30% stiffer, so can bump up the front the same 1-2".

Then some new Bilstein shocks.

This will allow him to continue running his +1 tires (265 75R16 likely) and he wont have to worry about alignment issues or needing new a arms etc up front.

richard310

pew pew
I second mortonm. Keep it simple if the uses are simple. Snag some high end Bilsteins or even just the 4600's. It will make a world if difference.

Bobfab

Observer
Thanks for the headsup, i am not too familiar with the xterra generations, but i believe his is a first gen.

XJINTX

Explorer
I say SAS it and be done! I know a lot of SAS first gens that are pretty bad ********... check out the Gone Moab vehicles :)

jonny.jpg

Adventurer
Look around on the XTERRANATION.org forum. Bunch of great guys that offer friendly advice.

With that, depends on what you want to do. I'm not a huge rock crawler so an SAS or a huge lift wouldn't be an option. I'm perfectly fine with my 2.5 inch SL from Rancho,

-Jonny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles