1st gen Tundra, wheels, suspension

jgallo1

Adventurer
You may get some rub in the front before the lift, but I had my 255/80/17s on stock TRD Off Road wheels for a little bit and they fit ok. Rubbed on the frame at full lock. No clearance issues at all in the rear.

Be careful with backspacing when you're selecting new wheels. You'll want to be able to clear the frame at lock, but too much backspacing and the scrubb radius will push the tires into the front and rear side of the wheelwell.
Maybe a 255/75 a true 32, would be a good way to go.

maximumunicorn

A 255/75 17 would certainly give you more tire options. And lighter tires (better fuel economy). And cheaper tires. I love my 255/80s, but I haven't regeared yet and I definitely noticed a big hit on mpg.

KTempleton

Observer
Different stroked for folks. I'm running Donahoe Racing/Icon on mine. I like the ride. Some people hate Icon and say they ride like garbage. Most of my driving is daily driving then more fire roads and beaches at higher paces. I don't find it all that bad on trails though either. However, speed bumps rattle my teeth. If I were to do it again I would probably go with the Fox kit Camburg offers. If plans on running bumpers any time soon, I would go with a 700 coil. But A set of DR's came with the truck and I threw on a set of Icons in the rear and added the longer and stronger coils. I feel a 5100, 6112 will settle under additional weight quite a bit. Kings are nice. Pricey. But I've driven trucks with Kings that I liked and then those I thought rode terrible. I like the OME idea, but after talking to a few people it's a pieced together kit from the Tacoma. To me, after having a 2 first gen Tacoma's then my DC Tundra, I was more worried about it holding the weight of such a bigger vehicle with v8, bumper and winch.

Most importantly. Budget in a set of OEM Lower Ball Joints. Unless you are absolutly sure it's been done in the last 50k or so. AND OEM ONLY. Aftermarket as well as higher mileage ball joints are prone to fail. And it's not a good thing.

As far as wheel and tire.... I prefer the 16's on 33's. More room to play when airing down.

Kpack

Adventurer
Different stroked for folks. I'm running Donahoe Racing/Icon on mine. I like the ride. Some people hate Icon and say they ride like garbage. Most of my driving is daily driving then more fire roads and beaches at higher paces. I don't find it all that bad on trails though either. However, speed bumps rattle my teeth. If I were to do it again I would probably go with the Fox kit Camburg offers. If plans on running bumpers any time soon, I would go with a 700 coil. But A set of DR's came with the truck and I threw on a set of Icons in the rear and added the longer and stronger coils. I feel a 5100, 6112 will settle under additional weight quite a bit. Kings are nice. Pricey. But I've driven trucks with Kings that I liked and then those I thought rode terrible. I like the OME idea, but after talking to a few people it's a pieced together kit from the Tacoma. To me, after having a 2 first gen Tacoma's then my DC Tundra, I was more worried about it holding the weight of such a bigger vehicle with v8, bumper and winch.

Most importantly. Budget in a set of OEM Lower Ball Joints. Unless you are absolutly sure it's been done in the last 50k or so. AND OEM ONLY. Aftermarket as well as higher mileage ball joints are prone to fail. And it's not a good thing.

As far as wheel and tire.... I prefer the 16's on 33's. More room to play when airing down.
Amen.

Although I like my Icon's, I kinda wish I would've gone with King's because I think they would be a bit more compliant on washboard. My Icon's are pretty stiff, even after revalving to soften them up.

Definitely replace the ball joints. OEM can be found for $100 or so. Change them out, and use red Loctite when you reinstall the bolts. Torque to factory spec, then recheck after a few miles. The last thing you want is your wheel falling off.

I also prefer 16's and 33's. I like the extra rubber for airing down and the 16's are plenty to clear my calipers and discs (2005 so it should have the larger size).

jgallo1

Adventurer
at the last minute, the guy who I was going to buy the truck from starting telling me, oh well also this is broken etc.. I bailed.

The good news is for $500 bucks more I found a a very similar truck at a dealer. 2005, 103k, one owner, limited AC, of coarse 4wd.
I am pretty amped on that.
The funny thing is it also had 18" shiny wheels and low pro tires ha ha.

The dealership is pretty cool and told me they would put new wheels on it for me, if i bought the tires. They said it came with 17's and thats what they would do. So thats what I got.
I just ordered a set up of the 255/75

I will be driving through Oregon on my way home, so i was hoping to swing through wheelers and pick the suspension, new bushings maybe a few others.

Reactions: GTV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94