1st gen Tundra, wheels, suspension

jgallo1

Adventurer
I find out tomorrow if the guy will accept my offer on a nice clean 1st gen tundra.
Right now the poor truck has some shiny 18" wheels and road tires ha ha.
For my own sanity I need to immediately get rid of them.
I am looking into ordering suspension, wheels and tires.

The truck will be a daily driver and adventure rig, so I would like to ad 1.5" of lift and keep the factory rake.

Not knowing that much about 1st gen tundras, what suspension would you recommend? I have been reading through the build threads and seems to be a toss up between those who like the bilstein 5100 or the 6112 and those who really don't. With toyota's I have always gone OME but it does not seem to be that popular for the tundra. There is also Icon.
I am going to add a leaf or a set in the back.

As far as wheels are concerned its either a 16 or 17, does one size seem to fit better?

Tires I will go either 32 or 33

It might happen right away, I have to see how much cash I have left over, but I will end up going with a bumper and a winch. If I do, I am going to follow
CTapia https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/ctapia-05-tundra-4wd-build-up.75687/
and mod a 100 series arb.

Thanks

GTV

IMO Bilstein 5100’s are great value but they have their limitations. If you’re doing a mild budget build they’ll be fine. They won’t last long with a bumper hanging off the front and 33’s.

17’s allow you to use larger GX470/460 brakes which the Tundra desperately needs.

GTV

Also:

Loubaru

Adventurer
Just to throw in my 1.5 cents. I'm still on the OE suspension on mine but it has 136k+ miles so will need to replaced soon. Although we don't do anything extreme I'm thinking about upgrading instead of new OE stuff. I had 5100s on my 4Runner, they worked but were a little stiff on the road and not great with washboards. My wife doesn't want to loose the comfort of the factory suspension so I'm leaning towards Kings front and Toytec remote res/add a leaf rear currently. Way overkill for what we need but I don't know of any other lift options that aren't going to decrease the factory comfort. The 6112s to look interesting though, is there an option for the front?

maximumunicorn

This is one of the few times when I feel like I can be useful on here. I went through the same process and this is where I'm at now:

-Front lift: Toytec Boss coilovers (set at about 1.5-2" lift - as much as I felt comfortable with without replacing UCAs or dropping the diff). Debated OME, but I wanted to be able to crank the coilovers up a bit when I get a front bumper and winch.

-Rear lift: Toytec Progressive 3 Leaf Add-A-Leaf Pack w/ longer Boss shocks (mild lift and load capacity so the rear doesn't sag when I'm using the bed). I didn't lift the rear at all for about a year. My truck was level with a front lift but no rear lift. Tire clearance was fine, but if I put any weight in the bed it looked like a prerunner.

-Mickey Thompson Classic III Wheels, Black (17x9"/6x5.5")
-Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX in 255/80/17 - didn't want super wide tires and these fit the bill well while still maintaining a 33" diameter. Been running this wheel and tire combo for about 1.5 years and I've been happy so far. Plus, they were super cheap on Amazon.

Like you, I hope to get a front bumper and a winch next. Then rear bumper, bed rack, rtt, sliders, lockers.....it's a long road ahead. My truck in the configuration has been serving me well for a while.

Last edited:

trailscape

Explorer
I like the OME's I put on my 06 better than the Bilstein's I put on my 02. I had a rear Bilstein fail at the weld which they replaced no questions asked. I still kind of lost faith in using them.

The OME lifted the front nearly 3". I feel like it's almost too much. It's certainly ready to handle the added weight of a bumper.

The yellow finish of the OME rusted off around the welds and the rears are pitted up good. The nice finish on the Bilsteins oxidized rather quickly.

If I had the money, I'd probably go with Kings.

01tundraAC

If you have the money, Kings with SPC UCA's in the front paired with an AAL and Fox 2.0 shocks in the rear will get you just about anywhere. If you are on a budget 5100s all around is about as good of a deal as it gets. If the truck is an 00-02 you can upgrade the calipers to 13wl which came on the 03-06 tundras and still run a 16" wheel which is a significant improvement in braking. Running the GX470 brakes requires a 17" wheel but also requires some modification to the caliper ears. So it is not just plug and play. But otherwise a 16" vs 17" is pretty much just based on the wheels you want/tire size selection.

tennesseewj

Observer
You might want to drive this one for a while before you mod it given how quickly you've flipped rigs lately

I just debated front suspension as well. My stock double cab, 4x4, TRD suspension has 2.5" of rake, so I wanted 1.5" to 2" of front lift to be close to level without looking like a pre-runner every time I hooked up a trailer.

If you read the instructions for 5100s you'll find that, according to Bilstein, the max lift recommended on a double cab is 1.6". My research showed, though, that many people are not happy with the ride quality when maxing out the pre-load on 5100s.

I talked through this with Wheeler's Offroad and ended up ordering 5100s and OME 2884 coils for my double cab. Running the 2884s should achieve 2" of lift without pre-loading the springs (i.e., running the "stock" setting on the 5100s). First gen offroad carries a Dobinson coil that is similar.

The rear leafs on this truck are pretty "meh" so I may replace with a custom Deaver pack at some point, but it's not a huge priority.

I really wanted to justify buying Fox 2.0s or at least 6112s but for my use, the money just didn't make sense. Off-road in my area typically means low-speed, rocky terrain and I'd rarely benefit from the extra capacity of a 2.5" coilover. If my wallet and primary truck uses looked different, I would have gone with Fox or King coilovers with new control arms and a Deaver pack...or maybe just a whole different truck haha

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

jgallo1

Adventurer
You might want to drive this one for a while before you mod it given how quickly you've flipped rigs lately

I just debated front suspension as well. My stock double cab, 4x4, TRD suspension has 2.5" of rake, so I wanted 1.5" to 2" of front lift to be close to level without looking like a pre-runner every time I hooked up a trailer.

If you read the instructions for 5100s you'll find that, according to Bilstein, the max lift recommended on a double cab is 1.6". My research showed, though, that many people are not happy with the ride quality when maxing out the pre-load on 5100s.

I talked through this with Wheeler's Offroad and ended up ordering 5100s and OME 2884 coils for my double cab. Running the 2884s should achieve 2" of lift without pre-loading the springs (i.e., running the "stock" setting on the 5100s). First gen offroad carries a Dobinson coil that is similar.

The rear leafs on this truck are pretty "meh" so I may replace with a custom Deaver pack at some point, but it's not a huge priority.

I really wanted to justify buying Fox 2.0s or at least 6112s but for my use, the money just didn't make sense. Off-road in my area typically means low-speed, rocky terrain and I'd rarely benefit from the extra capacity of a 2.5" coilover. If my wallet and primary truck uses looked different, I would have gone with Fox or King coilovers with new control arms and a Deaver pack...or maybe just a whole different truck haha

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I would drive it stock, if it was stock.
The Truck has these shiny 18" rims and low pro tires.
I figured if I am going to have to put new wheels and tires on it right away, mine as well throw in and do the suspension.

jgallo1

Adventurer
If you have the money, Kings with SPC UCA's in the front paired with an AAL and Fox 2.0 shocks in the rear will get you just about anywhere. If you are on a budget 5100s all around is about as good of a deal as it gets. If the truck is an 00-02 you can upgrade the calipers to 13wl which came on the 03-06 tundras and still run a 16" wheel which is a significant improvement in braking. Running the GX470 brakes requires a 17" wheel but also requires some modification to the caliper ears. So it is not just plug and play. But otherwise a 16" vs 17" is pretty much just based on the wheels you want/tire size selection.
This is one of the few times when I feel like I can be useful on here. I went through the same process and this is where I'm at now:

-Front lift: Toytec Boss coilovers (set at about 1.5-2" lift - as much as I felt comfortable with without replacing UCAs or dropping the diff). Debated OME, but I wanted to be able to crank the coilovers up a bit when I get a front bumper and winch.

-Rear lift: Toytec Progressive 3 Leaf Add-A-Leaf Pack w/ longer Boss shocks (mild lift and load capacity so the rear doesn't sag when I'm using the bed). I didn't lift the rear at all for about a year. My truck was level with a front lift but no rear lift. Tire clearance was fine, but if I put any weight in the bed it looked like a prerunner.

-Mickey Thompson Classic III Wheels, Black (17x9"/6x5.5")
-Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX in 255/80/17 - didn't want super wide tires and these fit the bill well while still maintaining a 33" diameter. Been running this wheel and tire combo for about 1.5 years and I've been happy so far. Plus, they were super cheap on Amazon.

Like you, I hope to get a front bumper and a winch next. Then rear bumper, bed rack, rtt, sliders, lockers.....it's a long road ahead. My truck in the configuration has been serving me well for a while.
Thanks for the info, I am going to call Wheelers today.

GTV

If the truck is an 00-02 you can upgrade the calipers to 13wl which came on the 03-06 tundras and still run a 16" wheel which is a significant improvement in braking. Running the GX470 brakes requires a 17" wheel but also requires some modification to the caliper ears. So it is not just plug and play.

I have a ‘00, I wasn’t impressed with the WL caliper (with new rotors) upgrade, they warped again. I was impressed with the GX brakes and fitting them was very simple.

jgallo1

Adventurer
its an 06, so I will most likely go 17"s so I can do the upgrade.

Just talked with Wheelers they said, I should go with the single add a leaf and 5100 in the rear, Up front I should go with the 5100 and the 884 ome coil.
I think the 884 coil is like 600 lbs? Should still get a solid 1.25-1.5 upfront with a bumper and winch down the road.

They are out of the 884 coils, Since I am going to put wheels and tires on, right away an do not want to buy tires twice. I was wondering if the a 255/80/17 will fit stock or if I should go 255/75

Thanks

maximumunicorn

You may get some rub in the front before the lift, but I had my 255/80/17s on stock TRD Off Road wheels for a little bit and they fit ok. Rubbed on the frame at full lock. No clearance issues at all in the rear.

Be careful with backspacing when you're selecting new wheels. You'll want to be able to clear the frame at lock, but too much backspacing and the scrubb radius will push the tires into the front and rear side of the wheelwell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz