1st gen Trooper 4 cyl any good?

BigSh00ts

Hi everyone. I'm on the search for a budget expedition vehicle and I've started researching Troopers. It looks like they're a real unsung hero, except that the 2 most common issues i'm finding are the weak 4 speed auto anbd the 3.5 burning fuel.

well, to eliminate both of those variables, I ended up finding a 1st gen (1990 "S" model) 4 cyl, 5 speed manual with 4x4 but it's about 150 miles from me. I'm willing to go take a look but want to know if it's even worth it with the 4 cyl. Another option would be to do a swap (from what i understand, there are a couple motors that bolt up, but unless the swap is super easy, i'd rather not have that as "Plan A.") So, how are the 4 bangers in these 1st gen troopers?

myu other optoin is a 99 2nd gen but it has both the 3.5 and auto trans, which is unfortunate because it's immaculate, and the price is right!

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
I've got an 88 with a 4cyl and auto transmission. There are times I wish it had more power, but I'm happy with it overall. I do have the "Jerry" camshaft from Jerry Lemond, though. The engines do have their quirks. You have to retorque the heads every so often to help from blowing a head gasket and need to check and adjust the valves once in a while. With the 80's emissions and early fuel injection, it does have a lot of vacuum lines that can give you issues.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I had an 89 with the four cylinder and five-speed. It would make a great overlanding vehicle. With the back seat removed, you have a ton of storage space. Only thing I didn't like was it didn't have a shift-on-the-fly transfer case.

Ditto on checking the valve adjustment periodically. Only engine I've ever found valves waaaay out of spec. Also, some of the early head castings on the 2.6 were prone to cracking, but I can't imagine any of the problem castings are still around. I owned an 87 Trooper from 97-98, and my head casting had already been replaced.

Super T

Charismatic Megafauna
Owned an 88 that was a decent but very under powered and had a tendency to run hot off road.

I actually wish I would have kept it and sorted it out more.

GChief

I had an 89. While not the 4 cyl version it had the GM 2.8l V6. Bought it new instead of the "kid on the way mini van" (Porsche 914, 70 Javelin as daily drivers). 1st Gen Troopers are great!! Mountains of NC, Hills of Ohio, All SoCal wheeling, North Cascades it was a "Trooper" and people that didn't know better where always amazed where I could take it. I regret selling it everyday (2003). My dad is actually looking at a nice 86 Diesel this weekend for me.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
I have a 88 trooper 4 cyl w auto. I have switched to a carb 32/36 holly and enjoy it,one last mod I really want is a manual trans swap. For online info check johnny5ive or planet isuzu

The 2.6l 4-cylinder and 5-speed is pretty solid. they are not speed daemons, but will get you there and back. it is unfortunate that they did not enjoy much popularity in the US, probably because they were underpowered/geared for US highways. I had a '85 with the 4-speed and now a '89 with 5-speed. I'm toying around with doing a diesel-swap, if not the '89, I might try to pick up one with a blown V6 to do it. Oh, make sure to check for rust on the frame and rear spring hangers.

heinrick

I just rebuilt my 2.6L at 215,000 miles after its head gasket blew. With Jerry's reground cam, it's a wonderful engine. While my machinist re-assembled my block and head, it was pretty easy for me, an amateur mechanic, to reassemble and install the engine. 0.jpg

The V6 doesn't offer much more power, and while parts are easier to source for it, its fuel economy is usually worse.

As for swaps, Johnny5ive has demonstrated that the Toyota 1UZFE will swap into the Trooper quite easily (especially if it's an automatic): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLI0yK5J7trtWPmPk9gE6zzdWKGQf333RA

Overall, I think the first gen Trooper hits all the marks that an SUV should have: Simplicity, utility, and accessibility. I'd put it in a similar category as the Pajero, Patrol, and Samurai.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94