1st gen tacoma

jgallo1

Adventurer
I could not pass up this little gem,1 owner 136k (he is a neighbor). He Has done every required maintenance and oil change at 3500k they are all noted in the book.

I was looking forward to building the little 87 but this was a deal I could not pass up. So onward and forward.
I had ordered some parts for the 87 from ARB. I was lucky enough they had not shipped yet and was able to swap all the pieces over for the 1st gen.

So far all I have done is upgrade the radio. Found this sony for $150 at best buy. Also built a little sleeping platform for the bed since it came a camper shell.

The items on order are:
arb front bumper
warn m800
Ome Suspension
SPC control arms,
OE tie rods, & ball joints.
New brakes with stainless cables.
New headlights, just stock replacements

Need to figure out tires...
I don't want to regear and it will see some pavement time. So I am going to go 235/85/16 or 265/75/16.
There are so many options when it comes to tires. I have had great luck with Cooper st maxx, Grabber atx, and Falkens atw.
I was thinking about the Toyo at3, A friend just got the newer Kenda tire and is very impressed.
Someone else I know who spends alot of time offroad, just went back to the Duratracs which I found surprising.
If anybody wants to help point me in a direction for tires and tire size feel free to chime in.

Attachments

• IMG_1595.jpeg
    IMG_1595.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1607.jpeg
    IMG_1607.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1608.jpeg
    IMG_1608.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 57

jgallo1

Adventurer
I forgot how fun these trucks are to drive, They seem to have the perfect amount of pep ad power for their size. I also have been driving a 1987 22re or a ford diesel. Sure, the ford has never-ending power but it doesn't jump off the line like this little 1st gen. Hopefully, the ARB items arrive sooner than later.

jgallo1

Adventurer
headlights were waiting when I got home. I just threw them on.
I was surprised how that all the plastic clips were still in great shape, not brittle at all.

Attachments

• IMG_1611.jpeg
    IMG_1611.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1612.jpeg
    IMG_1612.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24

thezentree

pretend redneck
Add some rock sliders to your list.

As for tires, if you're not going to regear, go for 235/85 or 255/75R17s. Whatever is lighter. I hated the KOs I put on my 4runner for about the first 5000 miles, but after wheeling them some and putting something like 40k on them, I've come to be pretty impressed by them. My only gripe is that BFG refuses to make them in anything other than E load range for a 285/75R16.

jgallo1

Adventurer
Add some rock sliders to your list.

As for tires, if you're not going to regear, go for 235/85 or 255/75R17s. Whatever is lighter. I hated the KOs I put on my 4runner for about the first 5000 miles, but after wheeling them some and putting something like 40k on them, I've come to be pretty impressed by them. My only gripe is that BFG refuses to make them in anything other than E load range for a 285/75R16.

I dont mind the E load, I know they are heavy. I like the durability.

I have used cooper st Maxx in the past and loved them. I just put a new set on my wife's 4 runner.

I am tempted to use them but they are heavy. I think around 50lb a tire where the Toyo AT3 is like 44lb. I could be splitting hairs here?

thezentree

pretend redneck
Splitting hairs? Probably, but it's still like a 10% reduction in rolling mass. It'll be the difference between "kinda peppy" and "a little bit peppier" off the line (and might save you a couple bucks at the gas pump). That said, you probably won't care about peppiness when you're 30 miles from cell service with two cut sidewalls. It's definitely a trade-off. I lost a tire on a rental Jeep waaaay out in Death Valley a few months back and it made for a very stressful drive back to pavement. I was cussing the P-rated tires on that thing.

Either way you go with it, cool truck. Please keep posting pics!

jgallo1

Adventurer
Splitting hairs? Probably, but it's still like a 10% reduction in rolling mass. It'll be the difference between "kinda peppy" and "a little bit peppier" off the line (and might save you a couple bucks at the gas pump). That said, you probably won't care about peppiness when you're 30 miles from cell service with two cut sidewalls. It's definitely a trade-off. I lost a tire on a rental Jeep waaaay out in Death Valley a few months back and it made for a very stressful drive back to pavement. I was cussing the P-rated tires on that thing.

Either way you go with it, cool truck. Please keep posting pics!
rental jeep and a lost tire in death valley sounds like a recipe for disaster haha..

jgallo1

Adventurer
found out my parts are finally in.
I am on a quick surf trip in central america. It will be a few more weeks before anything is accomplished. Which is a good thing, b/c I still have not figured out which tires to go with. Hoping to get it figured out while the sales are taking place. I am still torn between cooper st maxx, bfg ko2, toyo at3, duratracs.

Nicklovin

For reference I have 255/80/17 coopers on mine and I love them. Nice skinny 33 and they actually weigh less than my old KO2s in a 31

769CB326-01A7-4301-A778-F2AE0029EAB7.jpeg

Koenbro

You have probably figured out your choice by now, but I went with 245/ 75 R16 Falken wildpeak on my 2001.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles