1st Gen Frontier engine life expectancy?

lilgription

Observer
Curious to see what a person can expect to see in life expectancy from a 1st Gen Frontier engine. Looking around and of course most are high mileage trucks in my area anywhere from 150k-225k. I had a Hardbody years ago and put 350k on that thing before I sold it. Didn’t know with regular maintenance if I could expect the same. Any info is appreciated.

Jeffer949

Observer
Ka24 or a vg33e. Both are good. Vg has to have the timing belt done. And the distributor can cause an issue but the engine itself is very solid

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Like anything of course, as I am sure you know it depends on how well it has been taken care of. Of course, you can do everything right and It can still blow up. With that being said, if I am recalling correctly they both are fairly stout motors. I think the Pathfinder and Frontier shared some motors for a while both the 4 and the 6 should easily last well over 200k some good friends have had a few pathfinders one square body and a first gen frontier. All again, 200K+ motors. They tend to be a bit more gutless and less refined then the toyota counter parts. the MPG tends to be a bit worse as well. Other then that change the fluids and run it.

bushnut

Adventurer
The vg33; has 4cylinder power and 8 cylinder fuel consumption. It is however reliable and easy to work on. It’s been around a long time and there is more than enough DIY stuff online that repair is fairly straightforward. This engine was in many Nissan models so parts are available. I have 2. One in a R50 and one in a WD22. I’ve got 200000+ km on both. With very few issues.

Last edited:

lilgription

Observer
I’m asking this question because I’m looking at ‘01-‘04 models. All of them seem to have mileage in the 175k-225k in my area , all ranging in prices from $4000-$6000. All in very good shape. Do these prices and mileage seem to be about common in everyone’s area?

bushnut

Adventurer
I’d run a supercharger if I could. I think it’s about 20 extra hp. You need to burn premium fuel,but I do that anyway. Just make sure that you have a good maintenance record from the po, and proof that the timing belt/water pump were replaced at the required mileage interval.

simpletrip

If this helps, I have an 01, 4 banger., manual with 208,000 I purchased new. No issues, brakes, tires, batteries and oil changes as normal. Still has original clutch, alternator, water pump etc. Great vehicle with probably 30% dirt time, live in the mountains so wood hauling and mountain roads are the norm.

I also have a 17 Frontier I hope works out as well as this one.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
I knew a couple people who had the supercharged models back when they were new. The got about 9 MPG. That is not a typo.
They also took premium fuel or the knock sensor would see too much rattle and open the supercharger bypass. at which point you were running a lower compression version of the V6.
The supercharged version is pretty rare these days, most were scrapped off long ago. I would specifically avoid the supercharger.

I feel one of the biggest downfalls of this engine is the tiny oil capacity. What little oil that is in there gets worked hard. and I doubt many have had oil changes often enough.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
The 6 cylinder Nissan engine will last as long as the timing belt lasts. Most folks never change em. My last Frontier was a 1 owner with 206K when I bought it. Original timing belt. I immediately changed the belt, the tensioner and other related parts. Good thing I did!

Both the normal aspirated and particularly the supercharged 6 cylinder engines have knock sensor issues. Both are under the intake (Lot's of work to replace) and the proper operation of the knock sensor is MUCH more critical on the supercharged engine. On the normal aspirated engine there are video's showing how to cheat the knock sensor system by relocating the replacement knock sensor. The knock sensor relocation idea works OK on the normal aspirated 6 cylinder and very poorly on the supercharged engine. Given the small HP increase and the incremental problems associated with the supercharged engine I would avoid a supercharged Frontier.

Fuel mileage for both engines is far less than you would expect for a 6 cylinder engine. The Nissan 6 cylinder normal aspirated engines will last a longtime with proper service and maintenance.

Given the fact that you can buy a used crew cab 4WD 1st gen Frontier for about HALF of an equal condition 1st gen 4WD crew cab Tacoma that is just as capable for most folks use as the Tacoma makes the 1st gen Frontier a GREAT option to consider in a mid-size used truck.

Last edited:

strongtea

I agree vintageracer's comments. Awhile ago I bought a 2000 CC 4wd frontier with 103k miles, timing belt and all associated parts recently changed. I put another awesome 200k miles on that truck before I sold it. I also put another timing belt (water pump needs to change as well) in it 105k miles after the first one. You will probably have to change the valve cover gaskets once as the original OE ones may leak a bit. Its quick work. Also the exhaust manifolds at some point, as they are cast and one side tends develop a small crack. That's not quick work. You can put OE replacements but they may crack again. I went with doug thorley headers. Which was expensive, but I never worried about it again. I had weeping rear main seal (common) start about 4 years after purchase and a distributor go about a year after that. Other than that and regular service, nothing else. But like any car, regular service is a good investment.

It is very true about the knock sensor. Not a big deal on a naturally aspirated, but is on a S/C. I would strongly recommend against the S/C, the VG33 is a gas hog and the S/C isn't much more up on power to pay for premium. Also, the VG33 isn't exactly strong to begin with but it drove my 33" tires decently offroad. I never saw above 14mpg after a lift and tires.

I went with the frontier because it was and still is way cheaper to buy used than its tacoma counterpart, but is a equal truck in capability. Especially in that year range. If I saw one with service records of timing belt changes, I'd only worry about the gas mileage. For mileage I'd still keep it under 175k because now you are looking at service for other wear parts that you hope the other owners kept up on. Like wheel bearings, diffs, clutches, etc. Though the parts are cheap and the truck is easy to work on. For pricing I wouldn't pay more than book value and only with service records indicating the timing belt change. If you want good bargaining power, you could bring up that the belt needs to be changed and have them take that off the price. Then change it immediately after buying. Since its an interference style belt, it works until it doesn't. Then it really doesn't work at all. A well kept truck will give you all the miles you want.

paulforeman

I picked my 2000 XE 5-speed V6 up a couple years ago for $5000 with 160,000 on it. Currently have 245k on it and the engine itself doesn't leak anything, even with the added strain of the supercharger that I installed 15k ago. I had to replace the exhaust manifolds (one cracked badly, other was following suit), but that was it for me.

SnowedIn

Observer
I drove a vg33 V6 from ~170k to ~270k before I got rid of it - no engine issues, just rust, brake lines going bad, auto hubs wearing out, and the steering box getting sloppy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles