1st Gen 4runner Project: My COVID-19 Build

toastyjosh

Adventurer
I actually thought about that! Not sure how involved that would be yet.

I am thinking about rebuilding the Tundra as a tow vehicle/parts hauler/tire-slayer with a V8 (LS or 2UZ). I couldn't grab these parts if we did that but I gotta finish the 4Runner first.
That would be cool!
If not you can swap the master cylinder and the calipers,you need 4wd rotors.

If you dont use the tundra you want to look for a tacoma, or 3rd gen 4runner master as well as pads and rotors. Good sold upgrade.

toastyjosh

Adventurer

That would be cool!
If not you can swap the master cylinder and the calipers,you need 4wd rotors.

If you dont use the tundra you want to look for a tacoma, or 3rd gen 4runner master as well as pads and rotors. Good sold upgrade.
good to know, i'll keep that in mind!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
If you find rear wheel arches, let us know where... I used front fenders and cut them up for mine. P-side front to d-side rear and vice versa to get the drop you need in the front. The order of pics is mixed up, but you get the idea.FAC7C082-0A6C-4599-9ABA-9F42B4E930ED.jpeg6187D4EC-B66A-4036-831D-9EF22E0DBCAD.jpeg66AC76BF-DB32-42C3-8662-4D60D54161C9.jpeg

If you find rear wheel arches, let us know where... I used front fenders and cut them up for mine. P-side front to d-side rear and vice versa to get the drop you need in the front. The order of pics is mixed up, but you get the idea.View attachment 584345View attachment 584346View attachment 584347
I don't think I will need replacement rear wheel arch panels since I am cutting for the Hannemann rear flares. If I do, it'll be small (maybe a 1''x1'' piece) and I will repurpose the front fenders like you did.

I did get my replacement rocker panel for Wolf Steel in Quebec. They make other panels too, but not sure if he has stock or makes them to order.
https://www.alfaparts.net/toyota4r84.htm

I just emailed The 4Runner House for some used parts. I am mostly looking for a replacement inner passenger fender or panel for my rusted out battery tray (pic on page 3, post 40). I know I will be relocating the battery for the swap, but I'd still like it to look factory. It would also be a good place to start my first body patch work since I won't see it much.
http://www.4runnerhouse.com/p/parts.html.

I did find somebody 'local' on FB who has a Toyota Pickup junkyard business exporting parts trucks to Central America. He has been difficult to work with so hopefully I can avoid that.

toastyjosh

Adventurer
Oh, when you get your trans figured out, this is one of the best upgrades.
Also don't just put a stock clutch in,
and this cool thing

Oh, when you get your trans figured out, this is one of the best upgrades.
Also don't just put a stock clutch in,
and this cool thing

@toastyjosh thanks for sharing. My Marlin Crawler wishlist is growing quick! I talked to Marlin Crawler yesterday to confirm my parts needs. Since I am going with the older R150F (one off a 3VZ, pre-95), they directed me to all pre-95 clutch, slave and master cylinder. Not sure what the exact differences are but hoping to score a RF1A t-case to rebuild myself and a R150F transmission this week so I can get my parts order in.

I’m considering tube bumper now. I did get Marlin Crawlers 60-inch tube sliders, so a tube front bumper might be cool. I was originally thinking front and rear 4x4labs bumper weld-yourself-kits. But now that I am going flared and fiberglass front fenders, the 4x4labs front bumper might look out of place. I am still planning on the 4x4 labs rear with dual swing outs. I know it is superficial, but I want all the armor to look good and work well together.

https://4x4labs.myshopify.com/collections/bumpers

I ordered engine swap parts from Off Road Solutions so I will be ready to start the engine swap after I finish the body. I also took advantage the sales Marlin Crawler had this month and ordered 4.7:1 23-spline gears and a rebuild kit for the RF1A.

I continue to "de-bro" the 4Runner by removing the chrome siding and broken aftermarket sound system (speakers and tweeters). The interior panels and some of the body were cut for the sound system. It didn’t look clean/OEM and left scars to the interior which is a little disappointing. The tweeters left multiple tack screws in the lower dash trim. The radio housing is all hacked up and the rear panels were also chopped for bigger/more speakers. Supposedly the previous owner spent over $4K on the sound system which is hard to believe.

Photos of the chrome removed and the hacked front doors.
IMG_1479.jpgIMG_1475.jpg
IMG_1498.jpgIMG_1497.jpg

Body:
The 4Runner is stripped and ready for body work! It’s my first-time doing body work so hopefully it is not too ambitious to have it painted in a month. I received my rear flares, but I am still waiting for my front fenders. I will start the working on the body this week. First welding in the new passenger rocker panel, then cutting the rear wheel wells and fitting the rear flares.

I did discover some damage to the hardtop by rear window run.
IMG_1449.jpg
Not sure how difficult that will be to repair, but it doesn't look too bad.

Interior:
I removed most of the original carpet. It is too much of a science experiment to save. I also pulled all the seats and the dash. I’ll be repairing the cracked dash pad and whatever other pieces of trim I can. I will probably stick with the factory gray color scheme. I would like to do a quick disconnect steering wheel since the original one is beat.

Photos of the front dash.
IMG_1466.jpg

I did find some rust underneath the front passenger carpet. It isn't much so I should be able to just sand and paint it.
IMG_1467.jpg

Since I’ve got the interior stripped, now is a great time to add some improvements. I plan to insulate (for sound and heat) the interior. I am between Lizard Skin and Dynamat but leaning towards Lizard Skin. I don’t have experience with either, but Lizard Skin appears easiest to apply.

Photos of the interior stripped.
IMG_1456.jpgIMG_1455.jpgIMG_1448.jpg

I am also considering different front seats. At first, I was going to reupholster all the seats, but now I am thinking it could be worth upgrading the front seats. I am not sure how comfortable the original ones will be with new foam, but I am sure there are better seat options available.

smokeysevin

Observer
Wow, that stereo has hack shop written all over it. I have seen way too much of that type of stuff sold as "high end" work. I have RAAMat in my tundra and while it works, I really wish I had gone with a spray on liner instead. Its been on the truck since 2009ish and has proven to be a huge mess during the 4wd swap and console build I am doing now. Even if you are careful cutting the mat, the edges eventually leak the rubber out onto everything.

Sean

Wow, that stereo has hack shop written all over it. I have seen way too much of that type of stuff sold as "high end" work. I have RAAMat in my tundra and while it works, I really wish I had gone with a spray on liner instead. Its been on the truck since 2009ish and has proven to be a huge mess during the 4wd swap and console build I am doing now. Even if you are careful cutting the mat, the edges eventually leak the rubber out onto everything.

Sean
Yup, I am not sure if it worth cleaning up those cuts. I don’t know anything about car audio (yet) but I imagine this is not what high quality looks like.

Gotcha, Lizard Skin it is then! I am leaning towards respraying the vehicle blue (Subaru’s World Rally Blue Pearl 02C,42C or Nissan R34 Skyline’s Bayside Blue TV2) so a spray linear will cover the white inside too.

TheCascadeKid

Observer
Been gone for a while and come back another great Gen1 thread!

As mentioned earlier, yotatech definitely has the best 3.4 swap info. Here's a thread I started a while back to link to some of the most useful threads I found when going through my swap.

Just drove mine from San Jose to San Diego yesterday. You're gonna love it!

Been gone for a while and come back another great Gen1 thread!

As mentioned earlier, yotatech definitely has the best 3.4 swap info. Here's a thread I started a while back to link to some of the most useful threads I found when going through my swap.

Just drove mine from San Jose to San Diego yesterday. You're gonna love it!

Thanks for sharing. Yotatech has a plethora of info for the 3.4 swap, it can be a bit much to sort through.

I am hoping my 4Runner will be able to handle distances like that (at the speed limit) without too much discomfort.

Update after six weeks. I never seem to be as far along as I’d like, but I have made progress.

Rust repair/body work: I repaired the rust on the rocker panels, rear wheel wells, rear wheel arches and fitted the rear flares. There was more rust than I initially thought, but all manageable. I was able to use the replacement Toyota pickup rocker panel for both sides and make my own pieces to weld in for the rest. The pickup rocker is not exactly the same, but the lower portion of the rocker is. The driver side rear wheel well was also rusted and needed repair, so I cut and replaced that with new metal too. After all the rust replacement, I fitted the rear flares.

Pictures of the body work and rear flares.IMG_1622.jpg
IMG_1756.jpg
61575168606__E3D053AE-A354-4F14-9631-42B62CAB8402.jpgIMG_1555.jpgIMG_1759.jpgIMG_1831.jpgIMG_1838.jpgIMG_1840.jpg

The body work is not done yet, I still need to repair the front end. I sourced some “new-to-me” front inner fenders and radiator support that will replace the rusted-out battery tray and the damaged driver inner fender. That should be here tomorrow. While the front end is removed, I am going to weld the new engine mounts to the frame then test fit the 5VZ before paint.

Transmission: After looking for a 1988-1995 R150F transmission for some time, I finally scored one locally at the right price. I think it even has a Hurst short shifter too. I placed an order for a transmission rebuild from Marlin Crawler in May, so I should be getting my 92-95 by the end of August. I can use this one for test fitting purposes before sending it to Marlin for my core deposit. I also took advantage of their July 4th sale and ordered a new clutch, master and slave cylinder.
IMG_1700.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94