1st Gen 4runner Project: My COVID-19 Build

@toastyjosh Thanks for sharing that 1UZ swap thread. Gives me a better idea of what I could be getting myself into.

@zelseman I am sure it will be worth the wait. Install should be easier than a swap too! Are you going to touch the transmission or t-case?

toastyjosh

Adventurer
@toastyjosh Thanks for sharing that 1UZ swap thread. Gives me a better idea of what I could be getting myself into.

@zelseman I am sure it will be worth the wait. Install should be easier than a swap too! Are you going to touch the transmission or t-case?

Yea no worries! Not sure if you watched the vid and the end but you can hear big bad V8 noises!!!

zelseman

Observer
Nope. Going for long term reliability on FS roads and mild off-road tracks. The transmission works well now so I am simply going to replace the motor and hit the road!

etownnc

It is a long wait. We had a full summer of travel plans lined up and the wait didn't seem so long. Now that we are all sheltering in place, it seems like a long wait. You will definitely learn a lot through doing a swap!

Took forever to get mine from 22RE Performance, but it's been doing great the 5 or so years I've had it. Nothing like having 25k on the engine and 350k on the body!

Over the last week I have been cleaning out the garage, gathering tools and continuing my research. Here is what I have found so far.

Engine swap numbers:
EngineDisplacement (L)TypeHorsepower (hp)Torque (lb-ft)Weight (lbs)Life (miles)
22RE2.4I4113140320200k
5VZ-FE3.4V6190220420200k
1UZ-FE (non-VVTi)4.0V8256260364300k
(VVTi)290315
2UZ-FE (non-VVTi)4.7V8230300562300k
VVTi271315
2TR-FE2.7I4160171(unsure)250k
3RZ-FE2.7I4150177381250k

I am sure there are other options out there, like diesels or a 2JZ. But given my lack of experience, I am looking for an engine swap with information online and aftermarket support since I want to drive this someday.

Engine thoughts:
I would like use this as a lightweight 4x4 for weekends, daytrips and daily duties. I have a FZJ80 built for extended travel so don’t need an overbuilt vehicle. It would be great to get in the 20s MPG, but maybe that is too ambitious.

I don't know what I’m swapping from in terms of driving experience. I've never driven a 4runner or Pickup with the 22RE. I know the 22RE is described as “sluggish” or “gutless” by some.

I am sure the UZ engines are great options, but I am concerned the drivetrain won’t be able to handle the power without more modifications and/or compromising reliability.

I am leaning towards a 3RZ or 5VZ swap given the ease of swapping. For my purposes it seems either option will be sufficient in performance. There are turbo and supercharger kits for the 3RZ from LC Engineering and a supercharger option for the 5VZ if I want more power.

I also like the idea of the 4runner getting a 4runner engine. Or replacing the 4-cylinder with another Toyota truck 4-cylinder.

So 3RZ or 5VZ it is! Now to choose between the two.

Transmission:
No matter what engine I go with, I need a transmission. It came with the original A340H, but it is broken. I am inclined to swap in a different one instead of rebuilding it looking at the gear ratios from Marlin Crawler’s website below.

https://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/transmission/transmission-gear-ratio-chart

A340H ratios from Marlin Crawler:
1st-2.804, 2nd-1.531, 3rd-1.00, 4th-0.705, Rev-2.393 with a 21-spline (I think) output shaft

I am not sure if I am going to go with an auto or manual yet. There is the fun/cool factor of a manual as they become increasingly rare. It would probably get better mileage and be more robust too. But an automatic is a little more practical in traffic and everyday driving. Autos are also nice after a strenuous day of activity or if you hurt yourself. They might also be easier to source (and cheaper).

T-Case:
I would like to rebuild the original transfer case, maybe with a higher “H” and a lower “L” gear like I have in my 80. Keeping the original transfer case (in the original location) allows for factory driveshaft output locations, since I believe the driveshaft outputs where changed in newer transfer cases. I’ll probably have to get some sort of adapter plate or spline input shaft depending on the transmission I go with.

Last edited:
The best option is to find a wrecked Tacoma 4 or 6cyl for cheap that will make your decision for you.

gears, http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/toyo...-and-23-spline-tdt-4-7-21sg-tdt-4-7-23sg.html

I've got Sumos in my 80. They are nice! Don't have many miles on them yet but so far no problems.

I am keeping my eyes open for a wrecked truck. It would be easiest to source parts from one vehicle. We are over capacity for parking right now so I would have to strip and scrap it quick.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I think you’re heading in the right direction. As far as the 5VZ vs 3RZ decision, I would look at cost associated for both (adapters, motor mounts, rad, harness etc) and if there isn’t a huge cost difference, I would look to see what comes along for a donor. Either engine is going to be a big improvement over the 22RE, and for your use, either will be fine with the 3.4 having an edge for highway use. Not really a concern if you have a 100 available though.

@redthies That was my thought process actually. I am sure no matter what I do, the 4runner will not be nearly as nice as the 100 on the highway.

If others are considering 5VZ vs 3RZ, the costs are not that different from what I have found. Compared to the 5VZ, the 3RZ is a bit more affordable for swap parts but more expensive for a new or remanufactured engine if you went that route. 3RZ turbo and supercharger kits are cheaper too. But I can't imagine either option would offer significant performance gains compared to a naturally aspirated 5VZ. Thus cost is a toss up and will depend on how you source parts. The 5VZ is harder to install supposedly but it is not deterring me from going that route.

I found a 2003 2wd Tundra with the R150 and 5VZ at a Copart nearby. It was hit from the rear driver side and only had 43,578 original miles on it! I set a limit of what it was worth to me, bid during the live auction and won! I know it doesn't have a t-case or the correct transmission. I spoke with someone at Marlin Crawler and he said I cannot attach the R150 to a t-case. I am skeptical as it does not sound like something Toyota would design. The costs associated with manufacturing a different transmission for only 2wd drive applications must be significant enough to make it worthwhile to produce something that works with 4wd (transfer case) applications as well. :unsure: Or maybe it costs more to adopt it than to buy a R150F?

The Tundra will be here tomorrow so I will see soon enough. I don't want it occupying the driveway for too long so I am going to pull what I need and sell what I can ASAP.

I still need to learn to weld, do the 4runner body and paint before starting with the swap, so I have time to order swap parts and figure out my trans and t-case options.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
@redthies That was my thought process actually. I am sure no matter what I do, the 4runner will not be nearly as nice as the 100 on the highway.

If others are considering 5VZ vs 3RZ, the costs are not that different from what I have found. Compared to the 5VZ, the 3RZ is a bit more affordable for swap parts but more expensive for a new or remanufactured engine if you went that route. 3RZ turbo and supercharger kits are cheaper too. But I can't imagine either option would offer significant performance gains compared to a naturally aspirated 5VZ. Thus cost is a toss up and will depend on how you source parts. The 5VZ is harder to install supposedly but it is not deterring me from going that route.

I found a 2003 2wd Tundra with the R150 and 5VZ at a Copart nearby. It was hit from the rear driver side and only had 43,578 original miles on it! I set a limit of what it was worth to me, bid during the live auction and won! I know it doesn't have a t-case or the correct transmission. I spoke with someone at Marlin Crawler and he said I cannot attach the R150 to a t-case. I am skeptical as it does not sound like something Toyota would design. The costs associated with manufacturing a different transmission for only 2wd drive applications must be significant enough to make it worthwhile to produce something that works with 4wd (transfer case) applications as well. :unsure: Or maybe it costs more to adopt it than to buy a R150F?

The Tundra will be here tomorrow so I will see soon enough. I don't want it occupying the driveway for too long so I am going to pull what I need and sell what I can ASAP.

I still need to learn to weld, do the 4runner body and paint before starting with the swap, so I have time to order swap parts and figure out my trans and t-case options.

you won't be able to attach the 2wd R150 to a tcase unless you swap tail housings and output shaft (I believe) to a 4wd housing/shaft and buy an R150 to 4-cyl tcase adapter. Not sure if Marlin still makes the adapter. I've owned 3 of them over the course of multiple R150 equipped vehicles.

@bkg Good to know, thanks. I thought tail housings and output shafts would be the only things that would have to be swapped, but I could not find any definitive info on this. It is probably easier to find a good R150F than adapting the R150.

I will look more closely at Marlin Crawler's website and see what they have for t-case and transmission adapter parts.

With the R150F, I believe I will have to use a different t-case since the one I have attached to the A340H will not work even with an adapter plate and conversion shaft. I think I would need a 23 spline VF1A or RF1A t-case to keep the driveshaft outputs in the stock location. But I am not certain of any of this yet. I assume the t-case I have will need to be rebuilt so sourcing and building a different t-case to work with the R150F is not a big deal.

bkg

Explorer
@bkg Good to know, thanks. I thought tail housings and output shafts would be the only things that would have to be swapped, but I could not find any definitive info on this. It is probably easier to find a good R150F than adapting the R150.

I will look more closely at Marlin Crawler's website and see what they have for t-case and transmission adapter parts.

With the R150F, I believe I will have to use a different t-case since the one I have attached to the A340H will not work even with an adapter plate and conversion shaft. I think I would need a 23 spline VF1A or RF1A t-case to keep the driveshaft outputs in the stock location. But I am not certain of any of this yet. I assume the t-case I have will need to be rebuilt so sourcing and building a different t-case to work with the R150F is not a big deal.

you'll likely want to do a 4-cyl tcase (can't remember the model off the top of my head.) No, the hydraulic A340h attached tcase will not work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles