1st Gen 4runner Project: My COVID-19 Build

Introducing my “new-to-me” 1st gen 4Runner! Since I won’t be leaving the house to socialize for the foreseeable future given the coronavirus pandemic, I’ll work on this! I have always enjoyed cars but am a novice when it comes to working on them. Hopefully this will help educate me on vehicle repair and teach me new skills.

IMG_0907 2.jpeg
IMG_0906 2.jpeg
Backstory:
I’ve always been into the outdoors and vehicles. In 2004 my folks replaced our 1989 Mazda MPV (4WD!) with a 1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser. It was stock until I got my license. Since then, it has evolved to go to even more remote trailheads. We liked the 80 so much, we found an “original” 1976 FJ40 to restore. We never got around to restoring it but, have enjoyed it as is by modifying and maintaining it to be a more capable off-roader.

When I wanted to get a “practical” daily driver, I started looking for a Toyota Pickup or 1st gen 4Runner. I searched for one with a 22RE and manual. I wasn’t able to find one in ready-to-daily condition. So, I found a Prius to daily.

Picking Up The 4Runner & Vehicle History:
I found this one in PA. It was 5 hours away but looked clean. I called the owner, rented a U-Haul trailer and gassed the 100 series. We left early the next morning. The roads were practically empty, rest stops only offered fuel services and closed all dine-in options.

I knew we would be taking it home when I saw it. The owner purchased it last summer in NC from the original owner, who sold it with a blown transmission. He had plans of doing a manual conversion but never did. The 22RE was replaced with an unknown mileage motor at some point. The previous owner took the head off the to inspect and had no reason to believe anything was wrong.

After loading it onto the trailer, he gave me a set of original rims and a second set of rims and tires. It was the most we had ever towed with the 100 and the first time I used a U-Haul car trailer too. Certainly, a memorable trip.

IMG_0880 2.jpeg

Specifications:
1989 Toyota 4Runner SR5
235,868 miles
22RE engine with automatic
Axle/Transmission (A/TM): G282/A340H
Color/Trim (C/TR): 033/JD11
MFG Date: 02/89

Goals:
My goal is to learn more about vehicle repair and maintenance by getting my hands dirty. I also want to learn to weld and do some bodywork too. I want the 4Runner to be able to perform lightweight off-roading, daily driver and weekend trip duties.

Build Direction:
The plan is to get the engine out, strip the interior, weld in a passenger rocker panel, paint it, do a 5VZ-FE swap (auto or manual?). It will get 33’’ tires (KO2s?), a 2-inch lift, and maybe 4x4labs kit bumpers. I am sure there will be other stuff like brakes, seats, or gears that will as be added as these things are never “done.”

I am going to do my best to document this. I am hoping by doing so, I will be able to better collect my thoughts and execute this project.

I am still in research mode for the engine swap. It is an ambitious project for me but with all the information out there, I see no reason not to go for it.

Conversion info: https://www.offroadsolutions.com/tech-info/3-4l-5vz-fe-conversion/

If anyone has info on a 5VZ-FE swap or can point me in the right direction, I’d appreciate it. Or for 1st gens in general. I will likely be posting on ih8mud too.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0915.jpeg
    IMG_0915.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0937.jpeg
    IMG_0937.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0936.jpeg
    IMG_0936.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:

toastyjosh

Adventurer
Cool rig! looking forward to this one. Not sure if your set on the 5VZ swap, other options 3RZ swap which is easier, and the 2uz or 1uz which would be rad!

Good luck!!

Last edited:

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
When I SWAP either my 1985 or 1986 4runner this IS the swap I will use.

Something to consider!

Thanks for the info!

I am not committed to the 5VZ yet. I know the swap has been done before which is why I was going that direction. I also like the idea of keeping it Toyota and the engine coming from a 3rd gen 4runner.

I did not know of the 2TR, 1UZ or 2UZ options. Didn't think you could fit a V8 in there without too much cutting. We have a 100 series and I really like the power and reliability behind the 2UZ.

Either way it is going to need a transmission, transfer case and engine, so I want to pick the right combo.

The short term plan is to get this it striped and have the body done before doing a swap. Ideally this will buy me some time to decide on an engine and get my hands on one before (or shortly after) its painted.

zelseman

Observer
Good luck on the build! We are already committed to a 22RE from 22reperformance or else we'd be swapping too.
Looking forward to watching this one!

I looked at 22reperformance before I even got the 4Runner. They look like a great engine builder but 32 weeks might be more than I am willing to wait. Plus an engine swap will be a great challenge and learning experience for my current skill set.

Wow, lots of info on YotaTech's 3.4 section! Thanks for sharing. I am seeing a lot of swap parts will probably be coming from the PNW too.

toastyjosh

Adventurer
For your reading pleasure....

zelseman

Observer
I looked at 22reperformance before I even got the 4Runner. They look like a great engine builder but 32 weeks might be more than I am willing to wait. Plus an engine swap will be a great challenge and learning experience for my current skill set.

Wow, lots of info on YotaTech's 3.4 section! Thanks for sharing. I am seeing a lot of swap parts will probably be coming from the PNW too.
It is a long wait. We had a full summer of travel plans lined up and the wait didn't seem so long. Now that we are all sheltering in place, it seems like a long wait. You will definitely learn a lot through doing a swap!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles