1999 Td5 Defender - Overland Ready - $27000usd

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I came across this on Facebook. Looks like the owner is in San Francisco and just completed a trip across Africa. Defender is located in Cairo.

No relation

Original Ad:

Hi! I’m selling the Land Rover Defender that I used to cross Africa.

Inspirational video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXhdULU2FAc

Descriptive video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSO5crPwluw

The car is in Cairo, ready to go. It’s a TD5 110 (5 doors) from 1999 with 208 000 Kms. Manual transmission, A/C, right-hand drive.

I'm selling it for 27,000 USD. Read below for the details of how much I spent on it.

In early 2019, I took this car through a major renovation project and equipped it with high-end extras. The car spent 5 weeks in specialized workshops in Cape Town. The car was only driven for 7.5 months after that, which means it’s in great condition. I’ve actually improved many things while driving it, and kept all receipt and maintenance history.

- Equipments

Motorized aluminum rooftop tent (bundutop). 30s setup at the press of a button. High thread count Egyptian cotton sheets, real feather pillows, 2 blankets. 10cm high density foam mattress. 360° view. Much better insulation against heat than fabric tents. 12V cigarette lighter plug and LED ceiling light. Climb through the permanent ladder on the back.

360° awning (bunduawn). Protects from rain and harsh sun. You can access the fridge and even the trunk while under the awning. Strong LED lights to light up the area under the awning.

Aluminum fridge and freezer (snomaster). 30L fridge compartment. 26L freezer compartment. 60mm insulation. Includes remote control.

Dual battery system for fridge. National luna solenoid system with voltage display on the dashboard.

Custom built load guard (metal grid) between trunk and passenger area and riveted laser-cut stainless steel protections on all the back windows. This creates a protected trunk. Perfect for leaving your car without worrying about someone breaking a window and stealing everything.

Long range fuel tank. 75L + 38L tanks = 110L when filling up at the pump. Two 20L jerry-cans in the trunk. Total capacity 150L of diesel.

RV-style electrical plug on the body. Connected to a C-Tek battery charger inside the car. Comes with a 10 meter electrical cable. Allows you to plug the car to the grid at campsites that have power, while keeping all the doors locked. When plugged-in, the batteries will charge, the fridge will be powered, and all the electrical system in the car will work without discharging the battery.

220V inverter behind the back seat. Perfect for charging a laptop.

Metal snorkel for deep-water crossing and keeping dust out of the air filter when driving in dusty conditions.

Electric winch

Rock sliders under the doors on the sides. Protect the body and chassis when hitting rocks between the wheels.

Front bull bars. Protect the front of the body, radiator and headlights. Useful for driving in dense vegetation.

Frontrunner drawer system in the trunk. Drawer holds four amo-style boxes. For hotel stays, I would grab one box that had all my essentials in it.

Two spare wheels. One attached to the back door. A second one under the drawer system in the trunk.

Strong roofrack

Stainless steel camping table with storage mechanism under the roofrack.

Big bore expedition shocks. Probably the best shock absorbers you can fit on this car. Extra-large diameter that ensures the shocks can resist more abuse than standard diameter shocks. Very useful on the corrugated roads you find in many national parks. The extra stiffness also helps resist the swaying when turning.

Under-console safe

40L built-in water tank with tap on the back bumper

- Interior

Modern sound system with bluetooth and USB connection

Phone holder

- Recovery Equipment

Sand / mud tracks fitted on the roof-rack

Shovel fitted on the side of the car

High-lift jack

Strong snatch strap

Two tree saver straps (to attach winch to trees)

Safety strap (damper replacement)

Snatch block (pulley to redirect winch direction)

Bow shackles

Leather gloves

- Car Equipment

Air compressor 160L / min. Inflates the tires really fast.

Full toolbox with shiny tools. Great condition.

Tire repair kit

Battery cables for jump-starting

Land Rover diagnostic computer to self-diagnose electronic issues

Funnel and silicone pipe for topping up car fluids

Fire extinguisher

Engine oil, gearbox oil, oil for differentials, break and clutch fluid

Brake cleaner spray

- Spare Parts

Spare engine belt

Spare hoses for the engine rubber hoses most likely to fail

Spare injector harness (also a common Land Rover failure)

- Camping

Plates, bowls, cutlery

Wine & can opener

Gas stove

Two reclining camping chairs

Cotton hammock

Ratchet straps for hammock or securing the awning in windy conditions

Bug spray

Long lasting mosquito repellent for clothes

Rechargeable mosquito zapper

- Engine

Diesel TD5

5 cylinders, 2498 cc

122 hp (91 kW) @ 4,850 rpm

221 lb⋅ft (300 N⋅m) @ 1,950 rpm

- Cost

I spent a total on 30 700 USD on this car. From that number, I’m excluding small repairs I made along the way, and that didn’t add value to the car. That takes us to 29 500 USD. These costs were split between the original purchase price (10K), and the equipments and renovation (19.5K).

I saved a lot of money along the way by spending two months of my own time on this and doing a lot of research. Without all this time spent, this car would have cost 40K.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
For anyone interested it's not that hard to ship a vehicle in a container from Alexandria (2 hours from Cairo) to the East Coast of Canada or USA. I just did it a year ago, price was $2,500.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke