1999 Jeep Wrangler 2.2L Kubota diesel swap

redveloce

Adventurer
I finished up installing the switch to arm the methanol injection tonight. I didn't want to drill into the dash, so I made an insert for the ash tray. I'm still trying to think of a good label for it. I'm thinking "Countermeasures" or maybe just "Arm".

20130424_200718_zpscc85e5d2.jpg

20130424_200701_zpsd0267a6c.jpg

20130424_200642_zpsd92dd499.jpg

I've had this one installed for quite a while. It comes on when the system is injecting.

20130424_200737_zpsef3f659d.jpg

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Yeah where are all the people who were trash talking this project?
Where is everyone who said you were wasting your time & money?

I am happy you are keeping this thread going and helping the rest of us learn, good on you!

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Love this. Very well done. Post up your mileage figures after a few tanks with the new b/c and injection setup. Do you plan to have this dyno'd at some point? I am curious to see what it is putting down at the wheels.

Keep the updates coming.

redveloce

Adventurer
Theoretically it will get better mileage, but that's only if I can keep my foot out of it. It also has the ability to burn more fuel, and I've been taking full advantage of that! My last fuel up was 22.9 MPG, but that includes at least an hour at close to WOT going over a mountain pass both directions. Odometer correction for my new tires is 2%, which equals about .5 MPG more on that fill. I figure that's about the absolute worst it can get. I'm hoping to crack 30 MPG under normal conditions, but we'll see... The guys who have swapped this engine into Rangers that weigh about the same as my Jeep are getting high 30s to low 40s. They mostly use theirs for extended highway travel, something I have never done except jumping over the pass, so the difference could be that, my awesome aerodynamics, or my tendency to drive it like a sports car.

I'll eventually get used to it and be able to drive like a sane person for a whole tank. I use Fuelly to keep track of every fill. I wish I could add a signature line, but here's the link if you want to follow.
https://www.fuelly.com/driver/redveloce/wrangler

So far my experience with the methanol is great! I did some tuning last night (lots more WOT runs and hard pulls...there goes the mpg again...), and set it to kick in at 8-9PSI boost. I can reach that level with a mild easy acceleration, then when it kicks in I can back off the throttle a bit and it keeps pulling like I was rolling on hard and EGTs drop by about 200 degrees. There's a very steep residential hill that I sometimes take as a shortcut around traffic on my commute that I use to gauge the progress of the engine. It is extremely steep, and you turn from a stop sign at a right angle directly onto the grade. Running up through 1st and 2nd is no problem, but I often can't run 3rd gear because shifting into 3rd at the governor in 2nd takes RPMs below peak torque and it can build a lot of EGTs without gaining any RPM in that scenario. I tried the hill today, and ran up to 3rd, keeping the throttle stuffed to the floorboard to see how much heat it would build with 100% fuel and the methanol engaged. EGTs wouldn't budge over 1025 degrees, and it pulled well, steadily increasing RPM.

*edit* Oh yeah, I may get it dyno'd at some point, but I'm not expecting it to be extremely impressive. I had a rematch with a Prius yesterday though. Kicked his ***...

Last edited:

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Theoretically it will get better mileage, but that's only if I can keep my foot out of it. It also has the ability to burn more fuel, and I've been taking full advantage of that! My last fuel up was 22.9 MPG, but that includes at least an hour at close to WOT going over a mountain pass both directions. Odometer correction for my new tires is 2%, which equals about .5 MPG more on that fill. I figure that's about the absolute worst it can get. I'm hoping to crack 30 MPG under normal conditions, but we'll see... The guys who have swapped this engine into Rangers that weigh about the same as my Jeep are getting high 30s to low 40s. They mostly use theirs for extended highway travel, something I have never done except jumping over the pass, so the difference could be that, my awesome aerodynamics, or my tendency to drive it like a sports car.

If you can regularly get it in the upper twenties I will be seriously impressed. It does come down to operator behavior as well as road conditions. What does it weigh now?

*edit* Oh yeah, I may get it dyno'd at some point, but I'm not expecting it to be extremely impressive. I had a rematch with a Prius yesterday though. Kicked his ***...

Oh HELL yeah . . . ROFL :sombrero:

redveloce

Adventurer
That kinds of gives me an idea. I have a friend with a Yanmar powered Ranger that gets in the 30s to 40s, another with a Kubota powered Ranger that gets similar mileage. I should arrange a controlled road trip together so we can make a direct comparison under the same conditions!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Don't forget to scale all the rigs so you can compare curb weights. The rangers are a bit more aerodynamic too. If you get into th low 30s, that's double what a lot of people get out of their jeeps.

java

Expedition Leader
I think I passed you on bothell way this afternoon. Still want to find a time to peek at your build.

redveloce

Adventurer
It's possible, where at? I work near the U-district, and turn north off of 522 at Kenmore heading home in the afternoon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

java

Expedition Leader
It's possible, where at? I work near the U-district, and turn north off of 522 at Kenmore heading home in the afternoon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I saw you turning onto bothell way just down the hill from 145th. I live in Kenmore, where do you turn?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94