1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ Deset explorer/offroader

elpoffroad

Adventurer
A few new pieces to the puzzle came in today. Window shades, a vivair 88p portable air compressor to air up after the adventures and last but not least ...arb awning 2000 :) can’t wait to install it :)
F85EA96D-5AF5-49B8-93E0-1507FE7D0FD8.jpeg

elpoffroad

Adventurer
It’s been a while since I have updated, we have been trailing the WJ quite a bit, everything is going strong besides a transmission leak that has me worried. I did end up buying control arms for the front. Still pending install. The awning mounted up good and will be hopefully seeing plenty of adventure this spring and summer.

Last edited:

elpoffroad

Adventurer
Well did a few more mods to the WJ. Front control arms were shot so decided to order some with some heims so chose the rough country flex arms and they bolted up great and added a 3/4 in spacer since the winch sagged the IRO 3'' lift.
After that decided to up the traction in the front so ordered an Spartan Locker and installed it in the front. Im happy with how it turned out and doesn't bother me that much on turns with the ratcheting.
Finally after installing new axle shafts it all got buttoned up with a little bit of armor for the front differential. Solid diff cover did the trick!!!
I am supper excited to hit the road again in the WJ. Looking at buying an Optima Battery soon to replace the one that is in ti currently!!!
Stay tuned, Much more to come!!!

elpoffroad

Adventurer
Well its been some time since I updated this good ole jeep. We have continued to upgrade and modify the WJ. Last thing I purchased for it was 4.56 front and rear gears and a truetrac for the rear. I also did purchase a new driveshaft for the front to turn it from a rezeppa to Ujoint driveshaft. On our last outing I ended up putting the jeep against a washout wall and got a little bit of body damage so next is big modification will be rocksliders. I been contemplating buying RCV shafts since last time I went to play I broke another axle shaft. (or just buy the oreilly lifetime guarantee and keep exchanging them) . A friend was shooting video of the adventure we had out in the desert so figured I would share a little with yall.

elpoffroad

Adventurer
Well today I got the opportunity of buying some good quality tires for an amazing price. I had been wanting to go with steel wheels for a while so I figure it was the perfect time to make the change and wow what a difference in look.
61115941929__36F88BBB-DF66-452E-9BB2-7B659EBB2134.JPG
33x12.50x15 Cooper STT Pro
with 15x8 D Procomp Wheels
IMG_6660.JPG

It needs a little bit of trimming but man it feels good and looks good. Looking forward to going and seeing what it can do in the desert.

maxfederle89

Wheels and tires look amazing! I did a lot of research and didn't think 15" wheels would fit. I'm glad they work for you! Here's some pictures of my WJ
6063c624a3d9932ef4e46ed5883adf03.jpg
bcd6ebff8c6a5e13fd12ef7a3b8e22f4.jpg
eb3204c7088d7c9dc7a7d705211c25b2.jpg
c490a4cd503657cd33b5a0ece082f26b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

elpoffroad

Adventurer
Wheels and tires look amazing! I did a lot of research and didn't think 15" wheels would fit. I'm glad they work for you! Here's some pictures of my WJ
6063c624a3d9932ef4e46ed5883adf03.jpg
bcd6ebff8c6a5e13fd12ef7a3b8e22f4.jpg
eb3204c7088d7c9dc7a7d705211c25b2.jpg
c490a4cd503657cd33b5a0ece082f26b.jpg

Im not going to lie , I was nervous about them not fitting but they are perfect on that backspacing. I will post up a video of out jeep doing some climbs out here in the southwest.

elpoffroad

Adventurer
That video was rad! That was a super tough and tight line you had to take. You got some serious stones man.

Its amazing how nimble WJ are. They are great platforms that kinda get pushed to the side and I still dont understand why.
The shackles in the front of your WJ are they the ones from HK offroad

maxfederle89

Its amazing how nimble WJ are. They are great platforms that kinda get pushed to the side and I still dont understand why.
The shackles in the front of your WJ are they the ones from HK offroad
They are nimble! I haven't wheeled mine as hard as you wheel yours but I'm still blown away at where I can go and the things I can climb with it. Honestly I think the real key is just a little bit of lift, mud tires, and I think my next big upgrade is going to be an Aussie locker in the back.

I think the biggest thing is they are part of the Chrysler era that is a little bit infamous for unreliability. They don't take abuse well and if you don't do regular maintenance they are not as forgiving as other tougher vehicles. Honestly though, if you shop smart you can get a good one. Or if you're a pretty decent mechanic you can keep one running. I love mine and I love the way they're put together. Best midsize SUV that still has a pickup underside.

My shackle tabs are from Goliath off road. they aren't nearly as expensive as the ones from HK off road and they serve a similar purpose. I will say that they probably aren't built as strongly as HK off-road, but they'll still offer a strong point to get unstuck.

elpoffroad

Adventurer
They are nimble! I haven't wheeled mine as hard as you wheel yours but I'm still blown away at where I can go and the things I can climb with it. Honestly I think the real key is just a little bit of lift, mud tires, and I think my next big upgrade is going to be an Aussie locker in the back.

I think the biggest thing is they are part of the Chrysler era that is a little bit infamous for unreliability. They don't take abuse well and if you don't do regular maintenance they are not as forgiving as other tougher vehicles. Honestly though, if you shop smart you can get a good one. Or if you're a pretty decent mechanic you can keep one running. I love mine and I love the way they're put together. Best midsize SUV that still has a pickup underside.

My shackle tabs are from Goliath off road. they aren't nearly as expensive as the ones from HK off road and they serve a similar purpose. I will say that they probably aren't built as strongly as HK off-road, but they'll still offer a strong point to get unstuck.

100% correct we got our after they totaled our ZJ and snagged this one for 1800 bucks. Right off the bat I purchased a IRO 3in lift kit and some all terrains. Whats crazy is this jeep has been slowly getting built and enjoyed by our whole family. From lake trips to a little rougher offroad trips but I have been wanting to purchase the HK cratos spare tire mounting system they have. I told my wife that I can see this jeep getting built and rebuilt over and over again due to how many great times its provided to us.

maxfederle89

100% correct we got our after they totaled our ZJ and snagged this one for 1800 bucks. Right off the bat I purchased a IRO 3in lift kit and some all terrains. Whats crazy is this jeep has been slowly getting built and enjoyed by our whole family. From lake trips to a little rougher offroad trips but I have been wanting to purchase the HK cratos spare tire mounting system they have. I told my wife that I can see this jeep getting built and rebuilt over and over again due to how many great times its provided to us.
My Grand has been the same outlet for my family. Even just jumping into it in the evening and hitting dirt roads until the sun goes down with my wife is so much fun in this Jeep. I plan on keeping it for a long time and I hope I can keep adding fun stuff along the way.

I too want a Kratos. It looks like the most ideal spare solution. Lightweight, strong, out of the way but not on the roof messing with the handling. I sure like their winch bumper too. Very sleek.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles