1999 G500 Pur edition

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Eric,

How were you able to bring in the G320? Since it's less than 25 yrs old, did you have to Federalize it?

DUTCH

otiswesty

Regular guy
Eric,

How were you able to bring in the G320? Since it's less than 25 yrs old, did you have to Federalize it?

DUTCH

Hi Dutch. The car was federalized by an RI in the Sacramento area. Although the whole process took a while, it worked out really well. Even once the RI finished all of the DOT conformity changes, there is still a 30 day waiting period for the feds to deny approval of the final conformity petition.
The title process in California was an additional major hassle and expense that began only after the car was finally approved by the NHTSA or DOT or whoever...
Maybe the incoming US president will clean house on this ridiculous process.:ylsmoke:

otiswesty

Regular guy
Hi Dutch. The car was federalized by an RI in the Sacramento area. Although the whole process took a while, it worked out really well. Even once the RI finished all of the DOT conformity changes, there is still a 30 day waiting period for the feds to deny approval of the final conformity petition.
The title process in California was an additional major hassle and expense that began only after the car was finally approved by the NHTSA or DOT or whoever...

I finally got the Calif title today, bought the car in February in Germany.
Wow, what a process.

otiswesty

Regular guy
I had the truck in for some work last week. They installed a Schmude pop top. We had a group of four of us that ordered some "kit" tops from Schmude, they were very nice and easy to deal with. The pop top is a game changer. Easy to stand up in the back, releases at the rear from inside and can be used for sleeping in the slant position. The front releases with some latches on the front (outside) that are easy to use, but require exiting the vehicle for full deployment.

I slept in it this past weekend at the Hollister SVRA attending Syncrofest. A really nice community of VW van and Syncro owners. I have been coming to these events since 2008 after buying my Syncro in 2005.

Here are a few outside shots near Point Magu from my drive down to LA on Sunday after the event.

Attachments

• CamptopBeach.jpg
    CamptopBeach.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 99
  • CampTop.jpg
    CampTop.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 99
  • MaguSlant (1).jpg
    MaguSlant (1).jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 115
  • MaguFull.jpg
    MaguFull.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Wow that looks like a great top! Interesting how it offers both slanted and fully up positions. Would be great for mounting of solar panels.

Great truck too! Will it make it to the NW MOGFEST?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Whoa, sweet Eric!
Ahh, Darren at Collie Autoworks. How much factory roof structure does the Schmude remove?

McBride

Adventurer
Very cool! Looks super nice. Hope to see it some day. I'm sure you guys are going to get some serious use of of the Schmude's. Is it pretty easy to work the sleeping platform?

otiswesty

Regular guy
Very cool! Looks super nice. Hope to see it some day. I'm sure you guys are going to get some serious use of of the Schmude's. Is it pretty easy to work the sleeping platform?

Amazingly light and well designed. It does not come with a mattress. I used a Thermarest the first weekend and will be adding a fitted, more permanent mattress in the coming weeks.

otiswesty

Regular guy
Here is a pic of the base layer and the cut line on an unmolested G

Attachments

• BaseLayer.jpg
    BaseLayer.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 116
  • CutLine.jpg
    CutLine.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 130

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thanks for sharing more pics Eric. Ah ok, that Chris. Well done, looks awesome. Are you using the RR "40" seat as the step up into the sleeping area?(kind of like an Ursa Minor on a JK?)

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
So is the entire roof removed and replaced or is just a hatch opening removed and then the base part placed on top of the original roof?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles