1999 G500 Pur edition

thairish

Observer
The rubber is concave on the back side and keeps water away from the holes. The holes are painted and well sealed with the plastic plug and screw. I doubt water could get in there. From the dust behind the original tape on my G500 side moldings, I don't think that is any more weather proof of a design.

MB makes plugs for the the outer holes on the 461 side rail trim. Part number A0029971486

otiswesty

Regular guy
I recently got all of my front end parts powder coated. Reinstalled the bumper and skid plate last night. I just picked up a 2014 G550 brush guard to complement a set of Ebay DRL light trims. The trims look good and I'll see if I like them once it is all set up. If not it would be easy to go back to the original set up with 20 min of wrenching. The newer brush guard is a little lighter duty than the older unit. I used a luggage scale (low accuracy) to weigh them and the larger newer version weighed in at 8 pounds, the older large piece was a little over 10 pounds. Both started out as polished stainless steel.

Some AMG front fender flares went on the truck last week, there was a front pair of obsidian black ones on Ebay for a decent price. I had been looking for a while and jumped on those. They should help with the coverage of the 285 tires with a 30 mm front wheel spacer.

I'll try to get caught up on this thread with some updated pics this weekend as I am stuck in town working any ways.

Attachments

• PowderCoat.jpg
    PowderCoat.jpg
    545.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

otiswesty

Regular guy
The AMG front flares went on last week. They provide better coverage for the 285 tire up front on a 16" Ashtaroth wheel and 30 mm wheel spacer. I got the spacers from G-wagenaccessories.com soon after mounting the tire as there was a little bit of rubbing at full lock. The face of the tire previously sat a little proud to the edge of the flare. Looks just about right now. I still have the standard flare in the back, all of them are Obsidian Black Metallic paint off of 2012/2011 G wagens.

Attachments

• FrontFlare.jpg
    FrontFlare.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 74
  • RearFlare.jpg
    RearFlare.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

otiswesty

Regular guy
The brush guard is a new take off from a 2014 G550. It was a cheap Craigslist Los Angeles purchase that came without the newer style bumper brackets. I had to clearance the uprights slightly to get them to fit perfectly over the old style brush guard brackets. It racked up great and looks good in the black powder coat. I did mock it up before the black coat and the polished stainless and silver grill looked pretty gaudy together, I almost gave up. I decided to add the head light grills again as well.
I mentioned a few pages back on this thread that I had seen mounting holes for the head light grills on a new G down at the MB dealer and sure enough, it is an easy fit that looks good. I have never seen the grills used with the newer style brush guard, Not even in pics on the web. So here ya go.:)

After much consideration, I decided to leave off the bumper end caps. They are the old style color of 7167 Teifdunkelgrau or a graphite grey color that was the original color of the bumper as well. This provides little more clearance theoretically, and I think it looks fine without them.

Attachments

• FrFlare.jpg
    FrFlare.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 60
  • FrontCorner.jpg
    FrontCorner.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 73
  • FullFront.jpg
    FullFront.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

otiswesty

Regular guy
My winch wiring finally got finished up with a full time hard wired plug. I used the military 24v jumper plug that they use on the NATO and European military G-class. It is rated to 200 amps at 24 volts which is equivalent to 400 amps at 12 volts. The usual APP connectors are only rated to 175 amps at 12 volts and see pretty heavy duty work. So from the stand point of current draw, I feel it will be safe and reliable. I ran it inside the driver's inner fender where Europa had stashed the solenoid pack for the original Warn winch. Using a Hella disconnect it runs forward and over the radiator down to the bumper. I am pretty happy with the run. I plan to add a switch controlled solenoid in parallel to the Hella switch inside the fender to power up the winch for lighter duty use. I think the solenoid may not be as good as the main switch for a higher amperage draw.

Attachments

• PigSnout (1).jpg
    PigSnout (1).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Switch.jpg
    Switch.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 12vPlug (1).jpg
    12vPlug (1).jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 49
  • BumperHardware.jpg
    BumperHardware.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

otiswesty

Regular guy
Here is a look at the winch switch on the center console.
The wiring and plug for the ABS off switch is already there behind the dash, just plug and play. I have yet to wire in my other new switches including the one for the winch, but have plans for all 12 spots. I will be getting a new wood panel from Guido that has the holes already cut for the maximum number. Why not ... :ylsmoke:

Attachments

• WinchSwitch.jpg
    WinchSwitch.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 46

otiswesty

Regular guy
Here is the other side.
Top row is all stock.
Lower row: ABS off, Winch, Compressor, Radiator fans, Rear outside light, Aux lights

Attachments

• OtherSwitches.jpg
    OtherSwitches.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 42

ILIAN

Adventurer
Can you please show or describe which relay is for the radiator fans and where you tapped into the factory wiring to power the relay? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles