1999 G500 Pur edition

otiswesty

Regular guy
Had a nice weekend a few weeks back out at the Oregon Coast with a fire on the beach at Cape Kiwanda. Really digging the Camptop. I need to spend less time working and dealing with auto projects and more time on the road (or off the road)!Kiwanda.jpg
 
Last edited:

otiswesty

Regular guy
I have recently sold my 1995 G320 and also auctioned away my Syncro Westfalia on Bring-a-Trailer

Unfortunately, I have not simplified as I also picked up 2 new projects, a LWB soft top 461 from Dubai and a turbo diesel SWB 463 from Germany. Not to mention the other non-running (cheap) projects... uggg
Some kind of craziness
 

Attachments

otiswesty

Regular guy
Having an infusion of funds from recent vehicle sales has prompted me to get to work on a couple of finishing touches on G500Pur. Basically it was stuff that seemed a little over priced enough or logistically complicated to push them far enough down the to-do-list. Not crazy money, but you know.

#1 was getting a center dash burl wood 12 hole switch panel custom made for my G500. I have just had the panel off for a few years and appreciated the basic look shown on page 6 of this thread. I had attempted to cut additional holes myself in a spare panel that I had to poor effect. Also, I had previously asked Guido to order one from the dealer in Germany, but they are no longer available through Mercedes.
There is a company in the Santa Barbara area called Madera Concepts that does high end automotive wood restorations. http://www.maderaconcepts.com They restored a panel for me previously and were willing to cut my custom panel. I waited until I had additional panels that needed work which included both a lower row of switches factory cut (for upper/lower row spacing) as well as a straight 6 panel for making cutting templates. The accuracy seemed pretty key as these needed to fit over the switches and line up well. I sent down my bodged up panel and a couple others from eBay and the "new" 1997 G300 center console to get redone. I actually had a second 12 hole panel made which I will either sell or keep for future use as I don't see myself doing this again.

Here's the final pic as well as some inspiration photos from the internet and my "before" picture of the wood work



Madera.jpg
350switches.jpg463Fire.JPGmanyholes.jpgMadera.jpg
 
Last edited:

otiswesty

Regular guy
#2 on my much delayed do list was changing the winch plug on my removable winch to a sealed version. I initially added the 461 24v connector socket to the front bumper and got a couple of the push in plugs from Mike Pagger at Tschiewagon in Austria. Works great, but I had concerns about driving for weeks with it and moisture intrusion on this high output cable connection. I don't consider myself a deep water crossing enthusiast, but you never know what kind of slippery hydro conductive situation may come up in the days ahead.

I had bid on a Nato Hella plug with a twist on sealed contact. After an actual 2 months of revised shipping dates, the eBay seller in Latvia told me they were unable to send it to me. Okay.... I guess that means they did not get to keep the $140 I was willing to pay for a 12v plug. Turns out it was my good fortune! I spent a while Googling around the Hella part number and found a similar fully rubberized version that retails for $200! I mean, are these people serious?
Here was the one I tried to buy.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HELLA-Plug-Nato-Olive-8JA001931-011/173333079397?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I got a Google hit on Amazon UK that seemed too good to be true. The fully rubberized plug for 9 Brit pounds. Yes NINE pounds, like $13! Shipping was dirt cheap at 5 pounds. Holy cow, the whole deal was under $20 USD! I bought it but figured they would realize their mistake and just cancel or ghost the order. It was listed as being sold by Amazon, not an affiliated retailer, that seemed to give me hope that it was maybe a big corporation retail parts dump on a stale item.
Well whadda ya know it showed up today. Funny how gratifying these little things can be when they work out well. Here are a few pics of the new and old plug. More to do on this coming Sunday afternoon.
 

Attachments

Last edited:

otiswesty

Regular guy
I added an awning rail to the side of the Camptop base. My hope had been to get the Ostrich awning mounted somehow, but there is just too much torque on the back corner with that thing open. It would have require reengineering the corner pretty significantly. The awning is a simple set up that packs down to almost nothing. We tried it in the Gorge last weekend and it worked out great.Gorge.jpgGorge2.jpgAwningRail.jpg
 
Top