1998 XJ @ 299,000 miles...still going strong

Swiftone

I will update this thread as it goes from 299,000 to 300,000 miles. 1998 Cherokee Sport, 4 door, 5 speed manual with the 4 liter straight 6. Currently runs great/strong and has no problem passing Ca smog checks. Previous owner gave us the maintaince records and he has changed the oil every 3000 miles since new. We have keep that up.

We bought this for my son while he was in High School. 286,000 miles showing and perfect for a 17 year olds first car.

Well a few years have gone by, he attends UCSB, and recently bought a new car and I kind of took over the Jeep.
biggrin.gif

It gets better milage over my truck so I plan on using it as my daily driver/grocery chaser

The years had not been kind to the Jeep finish and it just needed some loving care.

A few months ago I started from the front worked my way back and replaced brakes, hoses/belts/sway bar bushings/links. The interior actually was in pretty good condition other than the headliner so I replaced that as part as the refurnish.

Still have plans for interior electroncs. Going to add a toggle switch to control the power to a Domitic fridge and replace the cig outlets with Powerwerx APP and high speed USB ports.

The biggest change was to the finish. I used Rapter Liner to "repaint" the body, bumpers and fender flares. Turned out a lot better than I had hoped. The finish is bumpy, but not overly so. More like heavy orange peel on drywall. Took a bit of experimenting with the spraygun and air pressure before actually spraying it on the Jeep.

The bright spots on the fenders will fade out to match as the finish cures. Those are areas I went a bit heavy.

As it looked when it came home in 2018

Paint (bedliner?) day

How it looks now

The grill, winsheild wiper vents and roof rack are all done in Rustolem Black satin to provide different textures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94