1998 Land cruiser with 240K mileage

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
nevermind I see Virginia.

The driver seat does not even seem that bad. Looking on AutoTrader, it seems like the cheapest ones go or 4-6k. So it's in the ballpark

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I am just afraid of other unknown repairs like head gasket or valve guide seal?

Any vehicle at this price point is going to need some repairs.
A new Land Cruiser is now $85k, the cheaper SUV is over $30k.

If you can't do the repairs yourself, I would think you may be better buying a brand new vehicle with full warranty.
Put your $5000 as a cash down on a new Tacoma, they have very little depreciation.

newworld2004

Adventurer
Any vehicle at this price point is going to need some repairs.
A new Land Cruiser is now $85k, the cheaper SUV is over $30k.

If you can't do the repairs yourself, I would think you may be better buying a brand new vehicle with full warranty.
Put your $5000 as a cash down on a new Tacoma, they have very little depreciation.
Got it. thx

newworld2004

Adventurer
I went and saw 97 LC and it was in bad shape regardless of rust. I am thinking to go back and test drive one more time the 99.

hayde89

FYI you can replace the lower ball joints without replacing the Lower control arm. Give Cruiseroutfitters a call for the parts . Can be done in an afternoon.

newworld2004

Adventurer
Thanks for feed back. please see below Pic, this is what Toyota dealer advised PO as repair is needed. what is exact part is required to address this?

Attachments

• IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase! The 100 Series is a great vehicle!

BTW, I see the dealership is suggesting new shock absorbers. The OE Toyota replacements are not very expensive and work well with the stock suspension.

But, what are your plans for this vehicle?

Good luck!

Sloth Cruiser

Have the heater tees been done? If not they are easy to do yourself. If not you should definitely do them. They get brittle over time and you don't want to lose coolant while out in the middle of nowhere.

Also congrats on the truck, they are great vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94